Ok, im pretty sure i know how to tap, my friend taught me on his schlecter. HOWEVER, when i tried it (exactly how he told me), there is a weak, almost unhearable sound.

My uncle told me to mess with the switch that alters the magnets to change the pickups. That didnt work. any other ideas?

If it helps I have a fender squire. not the greatest but it shouldnt make a difference should it?
add some gain/distortion and practice at it.
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
yeah and you also have to work on hammer ons and pull offs and your finger your using to do the tapping with
Originally posted by str84ever
Since you are playing metal and from what i know about guitars which is not alot

the pointer the guitar the better it is for metal

problem solved.
I've tried tapping with a fender squire and it doesn't work very well no matter what you do.. I can't tell you the reason why but I always have trouble tapping with one... They're also horrible trying to do pinch harmonics!
Sounds like you arent pressing your finger on the tapping hand down hard enough (I use my middle finger). You have to press the string with the tapping finger, let the note ring for a second, then pull it away. While doing that with the tapping hand, have the left hand fret a note that will also be pulled off and hammered back on (try using the ring finger here) with a second note behind it held with the index finger. There are some great tapping lessons on YouTube. Check under Edward Van Halen Tapping.

Good Luck!
~ the early bird gets the worm, but its the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese...
don't take your tapping finger straight off of the fret; pull it off in similar manner to how you do normal pull-offs.
Quote by The-13roken
I've tried tapping with a fender squire and it doesn't work very well no matter what you do.. I can't tell you the reason why but I always have trouble tapping with one... They're also horrible trying to do pinch harmonics!

that might be it. ive tried pinch harmonics too, and that one got me very frustrated but i thought it was solely me.

and it doesnt seem to matter how hard i press it, the note still comes out faint. I've tried every finger and my pick to do the tapping...nothing.

i was thinking about getting a new guitar. any objections against a synyster custom? as long as i can do everything (tapping, squalies, whammy, etc.), i am happy