Do you think guitar(or any instrument) technique/skill=quality of gear?

Do you think someone's skill and proficiency with an instrument should dictate the quality, and value of their equipment.

the other day I was listening to this girl talk about how she was getting a gibson les paul this weekend, and, I've seen her play on a few occasions, she can play a few chords here and there , and whatnot. but my immediate reaction was "pfffft nooob duznt n33d a gibby!"

that led to me to ponder, if I was in a position to decide whether or not she deserved the les paul or not

anyone else do that sort of thing?
Who cares? Why complain to us? Just let her be a bitch with her les paul, it will get her one day. Sitting around being jealous helps nobody.
People don't need expensive gear when they start, or deserve it. I think there's definitely a point where you've "outgrown" any bit of gear, at least up to a certain level of quality.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
one of my friends had a crappy old hamer that was once his dad's then all of a sudden got a Rickenbacker 330 from his dad for no reason, despite his massive lack of any sort of skill. It does make me think that I shouldn't even be bothered by it but then i hear him play...
****, who cares? Just steal it
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
is she hot?

and i think that sucks. i have an ibanez. i bought it from a friend. i love it. but ive been playing for like 4 years now. i think its time for a new one. but im broke. i dont have a job. and my dad lost his job. so my parents dont even have money. i would LOVE a new guitar. i think it sucks when people that are just learning get awesome stuff. but if i had money when i started, i would have done the same thing.
Last edited by !normajean! at Jul 25, 2007,
Your instrument doesn't reflect your skill level at all. But it'd be better if it did.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It depends. If a person that is just beginning decides they want a Gibson Les Paul Studio and an EVH 5150III, I don't see a reason why they'd need it, and it pisses me off, because over half the time, they'll give up and never use it again.

In my mind, a person that's been playing guitar for 4 years and is really good only that doesn't have enough money for that and has to keep using their First Act and their small 15W amp they got at Wal-Mart deserves that LPS and the amp more than the person that doesn't even know how to play.

It all really depends on the situation and how dedicated the person buying it is.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
Jealous much?

I can't find myself caring.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
fudge dude if u can afford it, whatever.

one time my friend got super pissed at a show cuz he thought the guitarist had a gibson custom. he started swearin like hell and they almost threw him out. he kept sayin **** like "WTF teh n00bz not worthy of teh pwnz0rz les paul". turns out it was an epiphone lol.

anyways, there are great guitarists who play ****ty guitars, and ****ty guitarists who play great guitars. theres assholes with alot of money, and really noble dudes who are broke. the prettiest people do the ugliest things, and the world is such an imperfect place
if people can afford it why not? if you have nice gear itil make you sound better hence they will want to continue playing more
A buddy of mine has a Gibson from the 70's and and some sort of Ibanez. He's not half the bassist I am. I have a 2004 Nova...Straight from the Sears catalogue.
...I'll be getting a new bass/guitar double neck soon anyways (I hope).
Quote by Do Re Mi
Gibsons are overpriced anyway.

True. ESP, Ibanez, and Schecter are the way to go.
I'm a person.
Her les paul won't make her play better
Uhm I not awesome yet and I got a gibson
i started with an accoustic, but gota gibson sg in like, 4 months lol and i've had it for 5 years, i think i earned my right to wield my godly guitar after a few years lol

SHE, HOWEVER, HATH NOT PROVEN HERSELF.....TO THE SLAVE PITS WITH HER!
If they're going to give up and not take it seriously, then yes-- I would think that they don't deserve it. This also applies to most other things in life. But if they're serious about it, and they get a guitar that's super expensive, then it's cool with me.

One of many exceptions I can think of is a car. I don't think any n00b prepubescent kiddie/teen should get a brand new car. Partly because I am jealous, and mostly because they suck at driving and think they're the sh!t because their parents bought it for them.
.//end.rant
Honestly, and in my opinion, if a person has that sort of money, then it doesn't matter is they "desurve" it. Maybe she doesn't even want to play it. maybe she just wants to put it in a display case, and drool over it. It shouldn't matter to you whether or not she has a nice guitar. Desurving any sort of equiptment is irrelevent, as long as they have the money for it. Them not desurving it will not change anything. And on the other topic of a person's talent reflecting their equiptment, or the other way around: ...you could give a guitar GOD a low-quality guitar, and they would be able to play it. Maybe not as well as if they had their high-quality guitar. You couldn't play Master of Puppets on a tissue box with elastics. You need a resonable amount of quality to be able to be a "good" guitarist.
That's my opinion.
I think starting out with "low-grade" or "beginner" level cheap gear helps you as a musician learn to appreciate your equipment more and get a better idea of what you want instead of just "OH MAH GAWD THATS WHAT THE GUY IN GREEN DAY USES! HES SEXY! I WANT ONE DADDY! BUY ME ONE!". And yes, higher end gear does make a large difference in your playing and sound, but only once you have matured enough to recognize and appreciate the difference, once you can do that, you will notice a HUGE difference in higher end gear.
Quote by IUseAPurplePick
It depends. If a person that is just beginning decides they want a Gibson Les Paul Studio and an EVH 5150III, I don't see a reason why they'd need it, and it pisses me off, because over half the time, they'll give up and never use it again.

In my mind, a person that's been playing guitar for 4 years and is really good only that doesn't have enough money for that and has to keep using their First Act and their small 15W amp they got at Wal-Mart deserves that LPS and the amp more than the person that doesn't even know how to play.

It all really depends on the situation and how dedicated the person buying it is.
Thinking like this only makes you bitter. IRL the person who earned the money, or who's parents earned the money and gave it to them, deserves it. Don't allow yourself to be pissed off. It wastes time and ruins your ability to focus on getting what YOU want. If you want something for yourself, work and save. Then you can have your own. That's the way the world works.

There's a train a comin'. Get on, or get the hell out of the way.

...But don't stand in front of it!

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
one day ill get famous and go shred on a first act while touring through europe. then, i will proceed to light it on fire and bash it. while its still plugged in. then i will proceed to shred again, proving that its not the axe which holds power, it is the warrior who wields the axe.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Thinking like this only makes you bitter. IRL the person who earned the money, or who's parents earned the money and gave it to them, deserves it. Don't allow yourself to be pissed off. It wastes time and ruins your ability to focus on getting what YOU want. If you want something for yourself, work and save. Then you can have your own. That's the way the world works.

There's a train a comin'. Get on, or get the hell out of the way.

...But don't stand in front of it!

You're awesome, man.

I was meaning a person that's been playing longer, takes it seriously, and cares about playing guitar deserves that stuff more than someone that can just say "Ooh, i want this one, daddy!" and doesn't even play it, bother with it or even mention it a few days after it's been bought for 'em. It's a waste of money, imo.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
my cousin is horrible at guitar, and she think her equiment is worse than mine...

she has... Epi SG 310/epi vj

i have.... 10 watt SS/plywood with wire epiphone

So i let her try out my equipment because she said its the guitars fault.... scary noises came out of my amp
Last edited by shtiming at Jul 25, 2007,
Quote by jetfuel495
one day ill get famous and go shred on a first act while touring through europe. then, i will proceed to light it on fire and bash it. while its still plugged in. then i will proceed to shred again, proving that its not the axe which holds power, it is the warrior who wields the axe.

Okay, say you were (and i know it was a metaphore, i'm just making a point) a warrior weilding an axe, and your apponent also had an axe. His was Solid steel, sharp as ****, and 12 feet long (lol). You had some, dull ass tinfoil shiv you made in jail (tehe). Who would win there? Once again, your equiptment has to have a resonable amount of quality.
Quote by Fryer Mike
Okay, say you were (and i know it was a metaphore, i'm just making a point) a warrior weilding an axe, and your apponent also had an axe. His was Solid steel, sharp as ****, and 12 feet long (lol). You had some, dull ass tinfoil shiv you made in jail (tehe). Who would win there? Once again, your equiptment has to have a resonable amount of quality.

i would get a stick, light it on fire, and throw it in his eye. while hes distracted, ill take my shiv and shove it so far up his nose it jams his brain

genius
How is it your (or anyone else's) place to determine who deserves what? Despite having only 9 months of experience with the guitar, I enjoy having nice equipment. I appreciate what I have and I have alot of fun with it and, honestly, that's all that matters to me.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by jetfuel495
what if yngwie went on stage with a squier?

Nobody cares about your cheesecakes, Yngwie.
It's a process, not an event.
personally, i think yngwie is overrated anyways

I know sh*it's comin ahead for me now. HA!
Quote by the agony scene
if people can afford it why not? if you have nice gear itil make you sound better hence they will want to continue playing more

+1

Why would someone wanna start off with crap and get a better sounding guitar when they sound better? thats stupid...get the best guitar you can when you start...thatll make you wanna play more and when you get better you wont have to buy another...swhat i did
This guy i know has an Ibanez prestige that was $2500+ and he cant use a pick. He obviously doesnt deserve it, but in the end its his problem if he wants to waste his money.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
well i heard studios suck. Fender's suck, and that's a nice acoustic.

not bein an ass, just puttin it out there.
I don't think so, but its not a good idea to start out on a really expensive guitar, because if you don't really enjoy playing and you quit, then you're stuck with something really expensive that you don't want.
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.