I want that 80's metallica type distortion without alot of muddyness. So should I keep my Digitech Metal master and Metal Zone, or get an Electro-harmonix Metal Muff when I get my new amp.
It's between a marshall valvestate combo or a peavey bandit 112 combo. Suggestions are open to which one I should get on the amp to. Either way I am buying all this stuff on ebay.
I'd get an amp in which a pedal is not required if Possible. I'd give budgets if you want suggestions.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
It's going to be hard to mimic it, because they've got such a unique setup. Just an amp and a pedal won't do it.
I'm also after an 80's Thrash sound but it is almost impossible to mimic, hopefully someone can recommend a pedal (and/or amp) that would help get this sound.
My Stuff:
ESP LTD MH-400 (pic's here)
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
The bandit's probably the best bet for thrash - you shouldn't need a pedal with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Metal Muff or Ubermetal. Dont waste your time on the Metal Zone
MetalZone's pretty good if you know what you're doing. Randomly twisting the knobs will create a bad sound. I've got a really nice tone out of mine, fairly similar to the current Metallica tone they use live. You can get the 80's trash sound out of it, but personally I think it sounds **** anywhere but on CD. You need mid's tbh.
besides the amp idea, get the metal muff, plus do you own an Ovation electric?!?!?!
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by senor_penguin
besides the amp idea, get the metal muff, plus do you own an Ovation electric?!?!?!

Its a 1980's Ovation acoustic electric.
Quote by senor_penguin

+1
Awesome pedal that, I just got one myself & I can get some really sic sounds out of it, which is a blessing since I'm playing through an MG.
My Gear:
Ashton AG131
Ashton GA10 (amp)
Marshall MG250DX (gasp, i know...)
Ibanez S470DXQM
EH Metal Muff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") ... he's gaining power
Quote by Edamr
MetalZone's pretty good if you know what you're doing. Randomly twisting the knobs will create a bad sound. I've got a really nice tone out of mine, fairly similar to the current Metallica tone they use live. You can get the 80's trash sound out of it, but personally I think it sounds **** anywhere but on CD. You need mid's tbh.

I have a metal zone, Metal master, and a morely wah. I tell you, there is nothing you can do with a metal zone unless you are doing pantera. The sound is basically pure buzz and that "Sound of Hell" feel. really digitized pretty much and has sorta that rumbling, satan is here, theme but not a good tone. Its only decent for rhythm. If you want it its basically super high gain with alot of fuzz, buzz, and feedback.

I will check into the metal muff tho. I like what it sounds like so far but i am going to worry with the amp first.
I have an old Bandit and thrash tones is about the only thing it can do well, I'm sure the newer ones will handle it just as well.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The metal muff is good but it has no range so unless you LOVE its sound then you are stuck with that one, the metal master is great, it has many options to change the sound, i use the metal master and i like it but gives alot of feedback.
Quote by ravenrage07
I have a metal zone, Metal master, and a morely wah. I tell you, there is nothing you can do with a metal zone unless you are doing pantera. The sound is basically pure buzz and that "Sound of Hell" feel. really digitized pretty much and has sorta that rumbling, satan is here, theme but not a good tone. Its only decent for rhythm. If you want it its basically super high gain with alot of fuzz, buzz, and feedback.

I will check into the metal muff tho. I like what it sounds like so far but i am going to worry with the amp first.

It's nasty with too much gain, yeah, but once you get to know the pedal you can get anything from Metallica to Deep Purple out of it.
Quote by steven seagull
I have an old Bandit and thrash tones is about the only thing it can do well, I'm sure the newer ones will handle it just as well.

So you think a marshall valvestate will work better with variety in sound compared to the bandit 112?
Get your new amp.

Scoop the mids, and turn the bass, treble, and gain to 10.

There, I just saved you some money.
i got that exact tone out of my old metal zone, its hard to get good at setting the damn thing, but when you do, it sounds awesome. just depends on what amp you are running through though, i was running through an old crate SS at the time...
Hello. For a start, keep your metal zone and don't go out there buying another pedal to get that metallica distortion. Because there's much much more that needs to be done in order to achieve that. Finding an effect pedal is a good start. But you also need a good tube amp. I have written a post on my blog which provides just the answer you are looking for. Go to http://guitareffectssecrets.andy-ng.com/14/rock-guitar-sound/ to find out now!
The thing about the MetalZone is that you need to fiddle with the amp too. Best thing is go by one setting at a time on the pedal till you get a tone you want, then use the amp to tweak it. Use the volume on the amp to increase, well, the volume, as opposed to the level on the pedal.This way, you get a much nicer tone.
dude just one thing there is now way on earth u can get metalica's 80's tone without emg 81 and eg 60 case closed and id go for the Radial Engineering Tonebone hot british distortion if i were yu i think kirk hammet uses it imo link yu http://www.tonebone.com/tb-hotbritish.htm
Quote by RedMoonMan
Cause Your A Weak Ass Little Bitch!!!!

Quote by grim1
Says the person with a White Stripes avatar.

loool fucked yu right didnt he?
Quote by Lord Lustinhell
dude just one thing there is now way on earth u can get metalica's 80's tone without emg 81 and eg 60 case closed and id go for the Radial Engineering Tonebone hot british distortion if i were yu i think kirk hammet uses it imo link yu http://www.tonebone.com/tb-hotbritish.htm

Um, yes you can. Bareknuckle Miracle Men will get their tone easily, and will destroy it.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
not rele it wnt be the same exact tone... plus u need an alder body guitar to achieve the perfect thinness of metallica's tone...
Quote by RedMoonMan
Cause Your A Weak Ass Little Bitch!!!!

Quote by grim1
Says the person with a White Stripes avatar.

loool fucked yu right didnt he?
Quote by Lord Lustinhell
not rele it wnt be the same exact tone... plus u need an alder body guitar to achieve the perfect thinness of metallica's tone...

No. Shoosh.

Stock Gibson V's were used to record Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning pretty much exclusively. I'm not sure about MOP.

BTW, you don't need a distortion pedal. Your amp's distortion is just fine for Metallica type tones.
I dont need the metallica type distortion. I mean I like it yes, but dont want to copy it. I want that area of heavyness not the exact metallica sound. I want an amp that is loud enough to play over drums, versitile for bedroom practice and other things. I dont gig, i am not with a drummer yet but I want it incase that comes along. And i want something that isnt overly expensive (i'll use Ebay). I dont need a professional tone just a good one to have to record. I dont need fancy pedals or any of that stuff. I just want a simple loud amp that can be played over a drummer and bedroom practice. Thats it.
Quote by Pacifica112J
No. Shoosh.

Stock Gibson V's were used to record Kill 'Em All and Ride The Lightning pretty much exclusively. I'm not sure about MOP.

BTW, you don't need a distortion pedal. Your amp's distortion is just fine for Metallica type tones.

Despite the face that they used pedals up to MOP, where they changed to a different setup because they didn't like the 'fake' sound of a pedal...