Hey UG'ers,

I am going off to college next year and definitely was considering bringing my electric guitar with me (my acoustic is too expensive to lose). I am going to be rooming in the typical dormitory setting and so I won't be able to make a lot of noise as I can do at my house.

So I got to thinking.... How the heck am I going to do this?

Should I bring an amplifier and buy headphones? If so... what kind of headphones do I buy and what is good quality for around $50.

Then I also saw the option of getting like a belt-strap amplifier that I can either play through or plug in a standard headphone set (e.g. Dean's "Stack in a Box" )

Please let me know what it is I should be getting as an alternative to playing through a normal amp... and don't just tell me to turn it down, haha, I don't wanna piss off the roomie either

Open to suggestion but I need to act fast-ish-ly!
Thanks.
-Doctor J
My Gear:
- Schecter S-1 Diamond Series w/ Duncan pickups
- Marshall JCM 900 Half-Stack
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Recording: SM58, SM57, M-Audio "AudioBuddy"
"You've Got to Belong To It"
I would just bring a small, 10 watt amp you could stash away under your bed.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
maybe just get a small battery powered amp. like the roland micro cube or a vox da5.

i first thought of a fender champion 600 though.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
i live in the barracks, kind of like a dorm, and i have a roland micro cube, which is, IMO the best practice amp you can get with that kind of money. it's got a headphone jack on the back as well for when you want to be quiet. It's done wonders for me.
ESP Eclipse II
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Sig. Les Paul
LTD EX-400
DigiTech GNX4
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Roland Cube-60
I think you should shell out for something like a toneport for your computer. I mean, it'll sound much better than any low volume 10 watt you're gonna get for $50. Not to mention, you can fool around with effects, models and recording while you're at it.

Either that or the microcube.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
keep your stuff locked up, all of my stuff survived my dorm room because of it. my roommate didnt lock up his stuff, his washburn acoustic was smashed by someone and they couldnt hold anyone responsible because they didnt know who did it. after that, just get like a 75 watt, you never know when you may need to jam with someone.
yea the first semester of college I had a little 15 watt amp...but now that ive moved into my fraternity room I got a lil more room...haha just join a fraternity and your set :P

no but really...headphones can be a good idea...especially if ur roomate is trying to study...or take a nap...ive found that naps happen a lot in college, lol. One visit to the guitar center and they had a punch of used amp just piled up in the middle of the floor...and i found my deville, for under 400$, i jumped on the idea...

this is a 2x12 60 watt tube amp...way more then I need, lol, but the way the rooms where set up, were we had lofted beds with a desk under it, i moved everything down a pit, and put the amp between the head of the bed and the wall...and that actually worked out well
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
get a microcube. i have one, it pwns considering it runs on six AAs.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
I'm bringing my Fender Champ 600, but if it ends up being too loud, I'll pick up a toneport or a microcube.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Pignose 7-100 has no headphone jack, just pure AWESOME!

I'd really consider a microcube, though. I've seen a homeless guy sitting behind a bus stop just jammin' on his microcube. It was pretty cool.

He liked his phaser.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
i wouldnt get a micro amp of any variety. youd be happier with a 5-10 watt combo & headphones.

i made the mistake of bringing my deville to school. it bothered me to have so much incredible tone staring me in the face but being forced to limit the volume significantly.

dont worry about tone for this situation. just get something functional and decent that will give you a fair representation of what you're playing.
any little amp will do, really. tone-wise it's not gonna compare to your nice amp, but as long as it's something you can practice with. for my first year i just used my pedalboard and an old marshall mg10 that i had gotten for free. sounded like crap but 'twas enough to keep me practicing. though hopefullly i'll have enough to get an orange tiny terror come this semester :P.
I'm going to college soon too and I'm getting a small combo and bringing up one of my electrics and my Boss GT-8 so I can jam to anything
I tell you what. . . I bought a micro cube a few months back and it has worked out great for my place. I can jam on my Marshall during the day and the micro cube at night with headphones. I have always hated the micro amps or small low-watt amps, and I still have three other ones (pignose, mini-twin, and peavey rage 112), and none of them match up to the micro cube.

definately go to the store and try out some of them. That is the best way to decide what you are looking for.

UG NMA Member #2

Gil Grissom PWNS YOU!
Thanks a lot for the input guys... I think i'll go for the Microcube
My Gear:
- Schecter S-1 Diamond Series w/ Duncan pickups
- Marshall JCM 900 Half-Stack
- Crybaby 535 Wah-Wah
- BOSS MT-2

Recording: SM58, SM57, M-Audio "AudioBuddy"
"You've Got to Belong To It"
^ I think the Vox DA5 is a little nicer. It has a headphone jack, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Oh man, totally forgot about the vox, I vote vox as long as you don't play lots of metal.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'm taking a Fender Champ 600, should be here today actually!
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
I'm taking a Fender Champ 600, should be here today actually!
Awesome, let us know how it sounds!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.