Okay. I'm pretty stumped as to which of these two amps I should buy. The only one I have played is the VM. And it's pretty great for that classic and modern crunch. And then some pretty nice cleans. But you have to tweak abit even though it's just one channel. And also it's cheaper and only 50 watts instead of 100.

The JVM... I haven't played, but the clips sound absolutly amazing. (Youtube). Butr the problem is that it is 100 watts. And that is way way way too much for me. Would there be anyway to make it 50 watt or less? And it has 4 channels with 3 modes each. And I like my single channels. But I also love versitility. So I'm gonna ask my local store if they can order a JVM, because thats the only way I can try one. But does anybody own a JVM? And is there some way to reduce the wattage? I really dont want a 100 watt amp, and I don't need that much volume. Unless the amp can be fairly quite. Like bedroom level or a tad higher.

I'm looking for some personal opinions, I dont want "Try the amp." I know I should try it, thats why I'm getting the store to order one in. Just some personal opinions thats all.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
There is a way to reduce the wattage of amps, I believe they're called Power Attenuaters, THD makes them. I've never tried/heard the JVM, called help you there
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
^Weber makes them too. they're called speaker motor attenuators tho. and they're better. Weber attenuators don't lose tone
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yes they do, but the EQ on them is what compensates.

You know, there are like, 10 different vintage modern amps from marshall, which one are you talking about?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
if u pull power tubes, it won't work. electrons go through power tubes. that's like... taking out a light bulb from a light bulb socket.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Reincaster
Yes they do, but the EQ on them is what compensates.

You know, there are like, 10 different vintage modern amps from marshall, which one are you talking about?

theres 2... a 50 watt and 100 watt head...

i like em both. i like em both the same. of course the JVM has 109410940190x more versitility.
If you like versatile, single channel heads, you should try to check out a VHT Deliverance60. I heard those things can do anything and everything with only one channel.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

I wouldn't buy any of the new Marshall heads to be completely honest, even if I was looking for the Marshall tone.

The Vintage Modern seems to be the better of the two in terms of both tone and build. The JVM I have heard horror stories about...that it's build very poorly....people returning/ swapping soon after purchased because the pots came loose, footswitch broke, etc. Also, it seems the tone is very lacking....the gain is fuzzy and thin.

If you want the Marshall sound, get yourself a JCM800
I didn't enjoy the Vintage Modern at all to be honest. The JVM has lots of versatility, but I think it's more of a case of it doing lots of things passably rather than one thing excellently.

If you want real Marshall tone, get a used JCM800, Plexi clone, 18watt clone or an Orange Rocker 30.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by ECistheBest
if u pull power tubes, it won't work. electrons go through power tubes. that's like... taking out a light bulb from a light bulb socket.

You CAN pull the 2 outer or 2 inner tubes on most 100w amps, but it doesn't really reduce the cranked volume that much. If you pull tubes, you must also increase the load on the amp (the speaker load must be greater than what the amp head is set for). Long term, the amp should probably be re-biased for the greater current flow through just 2 tubes. It won't hurt the amp if done correctly.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^ +1, if you remove the correct ones, you can remove them fine in a push-pull circuit.

I haven't tried the JVM (yet- i may get to try one this week!), but i wasn't too fussed on the vintage modern.

EDIT: also, it's not like the 50 watt vintage modern is particularly quiet- plus it HAS to be cranked to sound good. From what i hear, even though the jvm is 100 watts, it's a better bedroom amp. Wattage isn't the only thing at play, the quality of the master volume is also a major factor.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
JVM all the way man.

Usually on amps when I try them out I'm more impressed with one channel than the other, but everything on the JVM is fantastic. Plus each channel has 3 different modes, so that a total of 24 different tonal possibilities, and that's with changing any of the EQ settings (which are very responsive).
Funny words.
The JVM is good but not great. I agree with MrCarrot it is kinda good at what it does to get nicer cleans and more versatility but nothing on there is amazing.

Never played the vintage modern so I can't help there..

But they're both rather expensive amps and nothing amazing, you can probably find something that will do what you want better for the same money or less maybe.
I've heard the JVM, it is extremely versital and will give ANY tone you want. The Vintage Modern is all about solid tone and simplicity. you can't go wrong with either, but the V.M. is my favorite of the 2.
dude a 100W is only like 13% louder than a 50W it's not twice as loud or anything

just don't crank it as much

also i wouldn't buy either

I would buy a JCM 800 or a Plexi
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by Csquared1001 at Jul 25, 2007,
Quote by riffhog
You CAN pull the 2 outer or 2 inner tubes on most 100w amps, but it doesn't really reduce the cranked volume that much. If you pull tubes, you must also increase the load on the amp (the speaker load must be greater than what the amp head is set for). Long term, the amp should probably be re-biased for the greater current flow through just 2 tubes. It won't hurt the amp if done correctly.

Not to mention the increased resistance.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
^This is something I've been thinking about doing on my fallen angel since I bought an attenuator. It uses four EL84's to make it 40W, and I figure if I'm gonna dime it then I may as well just use two because that way it costs less to replace 2 valves than four...

The amp is fixed bias, when I get some money and the valves blow I'll probably try to get a tech to change it so there's a trim pot, but until then I can't re-bias it really.

Anywhom, so what should I do to ease the load on the amp if I use just two valves (I've removed the outer two before, in fact I spoke to the guy at ashdown about it and he said it would be fine, this was before I got an attenuator and it was still too loud). The speaker outputs are 4, 8 and 16ohms, the speaker I am using is 8ohms, and my attenuator can be set to 2, 4, 8, or 16ohms. By the sounds of things, and what makes sense to me I should keep the attenuator at 8ohms, but plug into the four ohms output?
Oh and about the amps - I've tried both briefly (I was really trying guitars out at the time but asked to be plugged into them). I preferred the JVM, but it's more my sort of sound - brit EL34 and even though I would be more likely to stick to just one channel the versatility is good, but i didn't get the chance to crank either. And I imagine the VM really needs to be cranked for it to shine.
Quote by isotone
^This is something I've been thinking about doing on my fallen angel since I bought an attenuator. It uses four EL84's to make it 40W, and I figure if I'm gonna dime it then I may as well just use two because that way it costs less to replace 2 valves than four...

The amp is fixed bias, when I get some money and the valves blow I'll probably try to get a tech to change it so there's a trim pot, but until then I can't re-bias it really.

Anywhom, so what should I do to ease the load on the amp if I use just two valves (I've removed the outer two before, in fact I spoke to the guy at ashdown about it and he said it would be fine, this was before I got an attenuator and it was still too loud). The speaker outputs are 4, 8 and 16ohms, the speaker I am using is 8ohms, and my attenuator can be set to 2, 4, 8, or 16ohms. By the sounds of things, and what makes sense to me I should keep the attenuator at 8ohms, but plug into the four ohms output?

From what I understand, the best thing to do is double the load impedance because you're cutting the output in half. Use the 8 ohm output on the amp & set the attenuator to 16 ohms, or use the 4 ohm output w/ att on 8 ohms.
Hopefully, Reincaster will read this & add anything I might have overlooked
He knows quite a bit about electronics.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
If you're looking into Marshall's definitely check out Ceriatone.

Even with shipping (about $75) you won't spend nearly as much as you will on the JVM's or re-issue's.

Send Nik an email if you have questions. I've heard he's extremely pleasant and helpful.