F**k the Evil Record Companies! It's Time for a New Artists Revolution!

I found this dumbfounding article at USAToday.com that talks about how artists are being ripped off by the record companies...

Rights issue rocks the music world

Singer/songwriter Tom Waits advises, "get a good lawyer and don't ever sign away your publishing rights. Most people are so anxious to record, they'll sign anything. It's like going across the river on the back of an alligator."

I think its sad what these record companies are doing and they should be stopped, cuffed, and thrown in jail. They are messin' with our music people!

What do you guys think?
Duh
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Quote by IUseAPurplePick
I know.

What the hell.

OMFG..... You have the same thoughts as me!?!!/

Dude....scary as hell
I agree with what Keith Richards says:

"I'd rather go out into a brave new world of songs than listen to some chosen by accountants who are too big for their boots."

Or something like that I'm too sleepy to type it 100% correctly
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
well...this is actually pretty common knowledge, so i doubt many people will be suprised
it alright, cause the record companies wont be around much longer. more and more people are getting computers, and now instead of having to buy a whole album with maybe 3 songs you like on it, you can selectively download them. all they have to do is find out how to get CD quality onto an mp3. And the equipment to record stuff is becoming mre readily available. So we wont really need record companies anymore : )
Right now, an extremely large proportion of the bands I listen to are unsigned. There's plenty out there, just go look for it.
^ i'm not quite up to that stage yet, but I listen to a lot of bands that are signed to small labels, and a few that aren't signed at all, and I personally do all my recording myself (used to use audacity, now i have Adobe Premier, and i'm getting Pro Tools LE) and it sounds alright if I do it properly
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
I think eventually, artists are just going to start their own labels and record themselves. I think that's the best solution for future artists. That way, they have everything under their control, more or less.
Can't say I was never wrong
But some blame rests on you

Work and play they're never okay
To mix the way we do
Quote by guitar-hero-II
I found this dumbfounding article at USAToday.com that talks about how artists are being ripped off by the record companies...

Rights issue rocks the music world

You've only JUST come to realise this?

I thought it was common knowedge that record companies are money-grabbing assbags.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
It's going to be interesting to see how this all pans out.

I mean any change in the system is gonna cause a whole bunch of problems, suppose it all depends on the amount of problems a new system would solve ... as opposed to how many it would create.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Yeah, dirty capitalist swines!!!
Communism solves all problems!
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie

You're god damn right!
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by DarTHie

Yeargh, for the motherland!
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by DarTHie

there are many reasons why communism doesn't work. but seeing as though this isn't the political thread I'll just leave it.

on topic, there are so many ways to get your music out there that IMO there isnt really any need for record labels as they are now.

you can record your own stuff easily enough, you can burn your own CD or just host your own songs, you can get your music out there easily enough. It's just that it won't be spoon fed to the masses. People who want to find decent good music will always be willing to look for it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
wait....you're surprised that a venture founded to make money takes advantage of idiots?

it's not the label's fault that the artists are dumbasses most of the time.
each and every UGer should stand up and break teh industreeeh (said in Irish accent for added cool)
honorary member of the lumpia lovers club

BREAK THE INDUSTRY
Record labels are businesses, nothing more. You can't expect them to 'appreciate the deeply spiritual musical experiences' that they put out and sell. It's not the label's fault that they want money, because it's where the workers make THEIR living. You can't sacrifice the living of a record label executive for the wellbeing of a music artist. That's why it's the ARTIST'S fault if they sign a dodgy deal where they get very little money from album, ticket, merch sales etc.

Remember that there's a reason why so much money from an album sale goes to people other than the artist. A record label could have hundreds, thousands of people working for them, and they need to be paid just as the artists do. Record labels aren't evil (), in fact without them bands would make far less money than they do.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Eventually labels'll start to fail and artists will deal directly with managers and publishers to get their material into shops, or online stores.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
Eventually labels'll start to fail and artists will deal directly with managers and publishers to get their material into shops, or online stores.

it's already happening. i'm working with a band and trying to get their cds into shops.

the problem with that though is that artists need money to record cds. so we'll see a return (hopefully) to gritty albums that arent overproduced. see: velvet revolver, nickelback, and other bands with too much production and too little talent.
Quote by 13thFloorStairs
it's already happening. i'm working with a band and trying to get their cds into shops.

the problem with that though is that artists need money to record cds. so we'll see a return (hopefully) to gritty albums that arent overproduced. see: velvet revolver, nickelback, and other bands with too much production and too little talent.

You don't happen to work for 13th Floor Records do you?
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
You don't happen to work for 13th Floor Records do you?

haha, nope. it's a pun on the band 13th Floor Elevators.

i had no idea there was a 13th floor records, good stuff?
Quote by 13thFloorStairs
haha, nope. it's a pun on the band 13th Floor Elevators.

i had no idea there was a 13th floor records, good stuff?

Ahh, I was thinking of 14th Floor, they're a subdivision of Warner. I did a bit of work for them a little while back, that's why I asked
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
^ Your name is a yogurt drink.
Can't say I was never wrong
But some blame rests on you

Work and play they're never okay
To mix the way we do
Quote by hideaway

No it's not! I'm named it after my grand-dad Yakult who commited suicide after he wen't fishing and didn't catch a single thing.

This was taken shortly before he poured his insides into the lake.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by Yakult
No it's not! I'm named it after my grand-dad Yakult who commited suicide after he wen't fishing and didn't catch a single thing.

why didnt that family stop him?
Quote by Yakult

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
the best part about that article was keith richards wanting to stop working with "dinosaurs."
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
Quote by hideaway

haha.... i laughed outloud at the complete randomness of that lol
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
Quote by 13thFloorStairs
why didnt that family stop him?

DUHH. they were thirsty
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter