When ever I read these forums and pretty much anywhere else that talks of our favorite low-tuned instrument, I always read "bass" as:

Because thats how you would pronounce it if English followed the rules it keeps making up. But no! I have to sound like an idiot in my own head when reading and constantly be on my guard in the real world so I don't start talking about fish.

**** English.
Because English has no strict pronunciation rules, the same set of letters can have loads of different pronunciations.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
Because English has no strict pronunciation rules, the same set of letters can have loads of different pronunciations.

Well yea, I know why its pronounced differently, but why is it pronounced differently? Why not just SPELL IT like you say it...
Quote by NorseGodofRock
I have to sound like an idiot in my own head

And had you not brought this up, no one would know you think you sound like an idiot.
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
The word 'bass' is a technical musical term used to described the lower end of the audio spectrum that can be heard by human ears. It probably originated in latin or something, like a lot of musical terms.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Well yea, I know why its pronounced differently, but why is it pronounced differently? Why not just SPELL IT like you say it...

probably to mess with people that get easily confused, much like yourself.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
I have the same problem and I always get corrected. I know the difference between the two. But when I read it out loud my brain doesn't recognize that it's "base" and I pronounce it bass. Then I look like a dumb**** to everyone standing there.
D:
Signature.
Quote by -February-Star-
The word 'bass' is a technical musical term used to described the lower end of the audio spectrum that can be heard by human ears. It probably originated in latin or something, like a lot of musical terms.

I was originally going to blame England but now it seems its Rome's fault. Bastards.

Why we couldn't of just changed the word to fit its pronunciation like we do with like, everything else that comes from Latin is beyond me.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Jul 25, 2007,
I'm going to build a bass in the shape of a bass so that when ever I **** up and say bass instead of bass, I can pull out my bass bass and not feel stupid.
Because the first ever bass (guitar) was discovered when a couple of old fishermen were bass (fish) fishing, and accidentally reeled in a wild bass (guitar). They thought it was an oddly shaped, and musically talented fish, so they called it a bass. The pronunciation was changed later to avoid confusion.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
I'm going to build a bass in the shape of a bass so that when ever I **** up and say bass instead of bass, I can pull out my bass bass and not feel stupid.

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
Quote by masterskill
Because the first ever bass (guitar) was discovered when a couple of old fishermen were bass (fish) fishing, and accidentally reeled in a wild bass (guitar). They thought it was an oddly shaped, and musically talented fish, so they called it a bass. The pronunciation was changed later to avoid confusion.

Quote by DrkNTwstd
darkangel, you are a smart man. no flame shield is necessary.

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
Quote by NorseGodofRock

Sigg'd*
D:
Signature.
Quote by NorseGodofRock

Work is already underway!

PATENT PENDING!

EDIT: WTF where did my picture go?
well, im a bass player myself, and back when we were doing acids and bases in chemistry, i would sometimes write "base" as "bass" on accident when taking notes..lol
Quote by chubbychunks
That picture doesn't make sense.

It's a picture of what he's wrongly pronouncing bass as.

D:
Signature.
It's spelled as is for humorous "slap that (b)ass!" references that people think they made up.

It's pronounced as such to make people like you rack your brains to find out why.

But srsly, it's because English has both Germanic and Latin roots, which makes different words sound differently depending on which side of the proverbial family tree the word came from. I think.
Quote by civildp1
probably to mess with people that get easily confused, much like yourself.

Yeah, the guy that invented the bass said "I want people to think about fish when they see my instrument."
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by chubbychunks
That picture doesn't make sense.

+1, I can't tell what it is. Well obviously it's a fish, but I can't tell what part is the fin, what's the face, it doesn't even look like a fish, I wouldn't know it was a fish if I saw it without the Threadstarter's post. It looks more like a sleeping, swimming lizard taking a scaly black **** out of its mouth.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
This reminds me of a lame joke a friend said that made a little part of me die.

Friend: "Shelley plays the fish!"
Everyone: "What!?"
Friend: "He plays the fish! *giggles*"
Everyone:
Friend: He plays the bass!!
Everyone;
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by -February-Star-

I think you're correct.

All I know is that "low" in French= Bas, Basse.... and some others.... but I'm pretty sure it's from Latin origin (seeing as how French is a Latin derived [romance?] language)
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Just call it guitar with four strings.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by whalepudding
+1, I can't tell what it is. Well obviously it's a fish, but I can't tell what part is the fin, what's the face, it doesn't even look like a fish, I wouldn't know it was a fish if I saw it without the Threadstarter's post. It looks more like a sleeping, swimming lizard taking a scaly black **** out of its mouth.

Exactly. All I can recognise is the eye, and I'm sure it's in the wrong place anyway.
Pretty much the only reason you get confused over that stuff is because of the loose use of the word. If people would always say "Bass Guitar" and things like "Large Mouth Bass"; "Rock Bass"; etc., it would be far harder to get confused.

Blame lackadaisicalness for your woes. (I like using big dumb words )
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
lol a bass bass guitar.

It goes back pretty far, I don't really understand your troubles...I mean, I've never seen a bass (guitar) look like a bass (fish.?)
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
A fair few word like this. For example, bow as in bow and arrow and as in the bow to someone. Same spelling, different pronounciation.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1