Now for a week or so now I've been eyeballing the Line 6 Flextone 3 Modeling amp (SS).

Recently i have noticed that for around the same price i can grab myself a Vox - AC15CC1X for the same price. (Tube)

Now to my knowledge the AC30 is a legendary amp and is great. But i haven't played it and the shops here don't have it in stock also this is an AC15. I have played the Line 6 flextone 3 and i love the sound. SS or not.

For reference i play trash metal mostly with all other styles or metal mixed in, then everything else really... Mostly thrash metal though.

Also how loud can the AC15 get? i know the flextone meets what i want. Also does the AC15 get muddy when played quietly? not too quietly but not loud either if you know what i mean.

Maybe i can push my budget a little further and grab a AC30CC2 2x12 Combo, thats only if the store can order it in and give me a slight discount as well. but i wouldn't count on it. also a 30 watt tube amp may be a little to loud for my needs.

Personal opinion. If you were in my shoes and given the choice, which amp would you choose?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
AC30s are not built for metal. They are Classic Rock and Blues machines, nothing more can be taken out of them gainwise without external pedals, and even then you'd need an EQ to cope with its lack of a mids control, and even then it's voiced all wrong...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
+1, you're barking up completely the wrong tree for metal. Out of your two choices the Flextone is a no-brainer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ok then. I was looking through and found an Australian shop selling a Marshall DSL401 combo for the same price as my flextone.

I'm unsure about this place though because it means either a 5 hour trip to get it our risk postage with it... expensive postage I'm sure.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I'd say stay with the digital, it will do you thing much better than the other amps you mentioned...
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
If you get digital, modeling or solid state you will be sorry later. Some may not agree. Use the search function on the UG forum to check almost any amp you are considering.
^ +1

Quote by .arkness:.
Ok then. I was looking through and found an Australian shop selling a Marshall DSL401 combo for the same price as my flextone.

I'm unsure about this place though because it means either a 5 hour trip to get it our risk postage with it... expensive postage I'm sure.

All I know is that I'd strongly prefer the Marshall. Even the best modeling amps get old. I'd either bite the bullet with this one (I'd probably make the trip), or keep looking until I found something similar, closer.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I wouldn't buy a Marshall for metal though, just not MY cup of tea... to make it rip you'll also need boost pedals etc, which is additional cost, plus the result won't be the best. What about a Peavey? A ValveKing for example? Or some other used amp?
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
You're mental!

A DSL401 will piss all over a Valveking from a great height for metal...I'd understand if you'd recommended a 5150 or a XXX...but a Valveking?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Jezuzzz
I wouldn't buy a Marshall for metal though, just not MY cup of tea... to make it rip you'll also need boost pedals etc, which is additional cost, plus the result won't be the best. What about a Peavey? A ValveKing for example? Or some other used amp?

When somebody says valvekings are better than marshalls for metal, just go ahead and discard there opinion.

If you could afford a ac30, surly you could get like a jcm800?
Quote by steven seagull
You're mental!

A DSL401 will piss all over a Valveking from a great height for metal...I'd understand if you'd recommended a 5150 or a XXX...but a Valveking?

I am a little
Actually XXX is way much pricier than the DSL401, otherwise I would have proposed that. It's just that there is something eye-piercing in the DSL401 when you boost it, I had bad time in band practice with those haha.
I friend got a ValveKing head and a Framus 2x12 (V30s) and is pretty decent for its price range in a metal band environment I think...
Sure, the Marshall can do metal boosted too, it's just ME maybe but when I listen to it I feel as if cicadas has gone into my ears
I am a little mental, what can one do? Espacially after the band guitarist has tortured me with this amp
www.High-Gain.com
I have the VK and am quite pleased. Some metal players do all right with it. I don't play metal but have experimented with older metal (Randy Rhoads era.) It did alright but I would hesitate to recommend it for modern metal. The Marshalls would do it much better and easier, or the 5150 or XXX. Almost all amps seem to need a boost.
Heres the problem, getting a 5150 or a XXX will be a hassle... plus i cant find at this moment one thats in my price range of around $1500 Australian dollars.

With that all said then the Flextone seems to be the way to go then huh?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
There is a billy retailer just 25 minutes from here.. I'm going there this Saturday to check out the flextone again. I love its sound but i forgot to see what its like a moderately low volumes.

I'm just checking up on the DSL combo now to see if thy have it.. well they have a DSL100 head for $1900 but that means i need to get a cab which i cant afford. The only good combo they have for marshals are TSL602 combo's which are $2600.. well over my budget.

As i said i think I'm set on the flextone. It'll be about 6 months before i get the money in full so something better may come up.. for now its the Flextone.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13