Am i the only guitarist that has been playing for a while yet still cant move his left hand as fast as his right? Noob or not, soloing is a fair problem for me and i just cant seem to play as fast as i would like. I know practice makes perfect, but what do i practice? Can anyone give me some advice on this sort of thing, maybe even provide some examples much appreciated.
Do you mean your fretting hand can't move round the neck fast enough? Or your picking hand isn't fast/accurate enough?
I can move my right hand far faster than my left, and I've been playing about 18 or so months. Best thing to do is either practice a lot with slowing down fast songs or exercises and stuff like that, or try to take advantage of not being so fast.
This is a common problem with many guitarplayers. Just slow down, get a metronome and slowly build up the speed. After a while you will notice that you'll be able to synchronise both hands in a much better way.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Lots of people have this problem - usually it's not so much being able to move one hand faster than the other, more a case of not being able to synchronise them. All you can do is slow things down to the point where you can do both accurately and gradually build the speed up. If you start missing notes and getting sloppy then you're going too fast.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
They are, but that's kind of avoiding his problem - the issue here is really the inability to pick notes at speed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

read the first post again, lad. picking the notes isnt his problem.
Practice, practice practice!

Start slow and then speed up, it'll take a while, but it will make you a lot better
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
Quote by haz_uk
read the first post again, lad. picking the notes isnt his problem.

That's the thing, it is, he's just mis-identified the problem...ultimately he wants to be able to play lead parts faster. Anything you can pick, you can play legato by simply not picking it...however you could easily learn a legato piece that you're incapable of picking, which in the long run doesn't help you're overall playing ability much, if at all.

The most important thing to work on is your ability to get both hands working together at the same speed. If one can go faster than the other then it's not really of much use to you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

The best way to synchronize your hands is to slow it down to the point where you don't have to think about it (8th note triplets at 40bpm-ish) and increase speed very slowly- by the time you can play fast they'll be synchronized and you'll probably be better, too.

And when you do speed it up, slow it back down if there's tension, tension is the worst enemy of speed.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!