Hey guys,

Really struggling with getting a good tone for solos... My gear for solos is: Schecter S-1 Elite with Bareknuckle Cold Sweat neck pickup -> Digitech Bad Monkey -> ENGL Screamer, with a Boss DD-3 in the loop.

I like the tone from a neck pickup for soloing, but find it too fragile and thin. When I boost the gain on the Bad Monkey, it still sounds thin, but overdistorted, scratchy and wailing. I've started using the bridge pickup now, but obviously it doesn't cut as well, and sounds no different from my rhythm tone.

Furthermore, the reverb tank the on the Screamer isn't brilliant, and I find the delay clutters things up, but I want reverb or delay to add depth, which I like.

What should I do?

At the moment I'm thinking of selling the delay and the Bad Monkey, and buying a Holy Grail reverb pedal (which I can use for cleans too), and some kind of pedal for solos - perhaps a fuzz pedal, and use my bridge pickup for soloing? That'd make it stand out big-time. Or maybe just a different booster and stick with my neck pickup?

Opinions? Suggestions? Help!

Thanks
More mids, either from booster or an EQ pedal...if it sounds thin then you need to address the root of the problem which is the tone itself. Adding stuff like reverb and delay doesn't usually help in that respect and often just makes it sound worse.

Also, how do you EQ your amp?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
And what volume is your amp at? The higher the volume, the fuller it gets with tube amps.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Micro Amps are cool. Try a Big Muff, too. Great lead tone...
More mids, I personally only use a little reverb when I solo, and delay is pretty much a no-no is you want to cut right through, unless you're doing some Gilmour type stuff.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
The thing with the Bad Monkey is that the Bass control is too muddy, and the High control is too harsh - you can't get a properly cutting (a la Jimi's Marshalls) or fat (a la SRV's Fenders) tone from it, which is tha major downfall of it. I really wanna build a Tubescreamer-808 replica and see the difference it makes.

For cutting solos you really wanna use the bridge pickup. Take the reverb level down fairly so your tone isn't that lost in it, and remove the delay. Try a few different settings on the Bad Monkey -

Setting 1:
Level 9 o'clock
Bass Max
Treble 12 o'clock
Gain Max

Setting 2:
Level 9 o'clock
Bass 3 o'clock
Treble 2:30
Gain max

The trick with the Bad Monkey is to get a balance between the mud and harshness - luckily the mud is easily fixed with external EQ. Try both settings, especially the first one, then use your EQ to boost the mids by 2 or 3 (IE move from 5 mids to 7-8 mids), and boost the treble a tad.

You may just want to get a different, fatter OD. But at least try that first.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Compressor.

You said that you like the smooth solo tone, but you think that it's a bit thin...

That COULD be from too much treble/not enough mids. Or just too much gain. A comp, with a slight gain cut will make your tone much smoother. I recommend the Marshall ED-1, although the EHX and Guyatone compressors get great reviews as well. Depending on how much you wanna spend, the Marshall is a nice medium one. The attack control is pretty cool, and it's got an emphasis control, which is a little like a tone control. Just don't turn the compression up to ridiculous levels, as it will cause hiss just like a distortion pedal.

Have fun
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Ok guys, thanks loads for the advice. The Screamer can be a bit trebly at times. I can solve most of the bass problems with simple EQing, and it doesn't get too muddy, but I think the mids suffer, and not just for soloing - i think the low mids suffer for rhythm work too.

I shall definately look into an EQ pedal, and perhaps a new booster pedal - any recommendations?

Also, I'm considering getting a wah pedal - it's something I've been looking at for ages, and once I get my tone fixed, I think it'll add something to solos. I'm going to be selling some of my other effects that I barely use, so I can buy a wah too.

So, I shall probably sell my DD-3, my Small Clone, and my Bad Monkey. No knock on them, I loved them and they are great pedals - I just don't use them very often and they don't contribute much to my overall sound.

I shall then buy:

An EQ pedal and perhaps a new booster, and a wah.... Suggestions?!

Quote by el_jimbo
Ok guys, thanks loads for the advice. The Screamer can be a bit trebly at times. I can solve most of the bass problems with simple EQing, and it doesn't get too muddy, but I think the mids suffer, and not just for soloing - i think the low mids suffer for rhythm work too.

I shall definately look into an EQ pedal, and perhaps a new booster pedal - any recommendations?

Also, I'm considering getting a wah pedal - it's something I've been looking at for ages, and once I get my tone fixed, I think it'll add something to solos. I'm going to be selling some of my other effects that I barely use, so I can buy a wah too.

So, I shall probably sell my DD-3, my Small Clone, and my Bad Monkey. No knock on them, I loved them and they are great pedals - I just don't use them very often and they don't contribute much to my overall sound.

I shall then buy:

An EQ pedal and perhaps a new booster, and a wah.... Suggestions?!

You could always get a new pickup : D

THe DiMarzio TOne Zone pup is just amazing in the neck position.
^It's better in the bridge.

And you could spring for a good OD and forget the booster.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
MXR 10 Band EQ is really good, but if you're on a budget, the Danelectro Fish n' Chips (I think its 7 band) is excellent.
OD I'm not really sure of to be honest- normally I recommend Maxon...but I'll let someone with more knowledge get back to you on that- the Fulltone OCD is also a highly recommended piece of kit.
Wah really depends on what you play, and how much you have... the Fulltone Clyde is a great wah, but again, if on a budget (well...not much of a budget but Fulltone stuff is slightly expensive compared to other gear) the Vox V87...whatever wah is really good- their newest one (the one with an "a" at the end of the name" also has an AC jack

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Cool... Thanks man... If I'm buying several bits, I might have to cheap out on the Danelectro EQ, but I heard it's pretty good, especially for the price.

I like the Fulltone and the Vox, but I've heard they are both not good with gain?
Perhaps something like the Dimebag Wah would be better suited to hard rock/alternative/hardcore type music? What do people think of it? Would it be good for me?

By the way, if anyone has an OD suggestions, hit me!
Hehe, bluntly put. I wasn't meaning to slag those wah's off in anyway, I've heard clips and think they've got a lovely sound. It was just that all the clips I heard were in a bluesy/funk situation, and I'd heard mention elsewhere on the boards that there were wah's that handled distortion better... But I stand corrected!

I think the Fulltone is gonna be too expensive for me, but I may well look into the Vox... Anyone else rate it?
Quote by el_jimbo
Perhaps something like the Dimebag Wah would be better suited to hard rock/alternative/hardcore type music? What do people think of it? Would it be good for me?

By the way, if anyone has an OD suggestions, hit me!

I've heard the Wizard Wah is an excellent wah for higher gain stuff.

Here's some reviews of it: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Geoffrey+Teese/Wizard+Wah/10/1
you want a wah that can hande high gain? ahh ok, well i recommend the Ibanez WD-7 and the Dunlop CFH- i'm pretty sure that the Fulltone can handle most that's thrown at it, but havn';t had the change to try it so i can't back this up
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia