I really like the sound of the leslie machine that organists use and I was wondering if there was any way to make on myself, to be used with my guitar.

As I understand, on the real ones, its basically a fan in front of a speaker whos speed can be adjusted with a footpedal.

Would it be possible to use a regular fan? And if so, what it merely involve taking out the rotary switch, and use a footpedal with a pot in it to control the speed of the fan?

Note: I know that there are leslie pedals, but im looking to recreate the actual machine.

Thanks.
Kerry is right. The rotating speaker is what makes them such a bitch to mic.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Kerry is right. The rotating speaker is what makes them such a bitch to mic.

not really, just stereo mic the thing from either side.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Oh, I know about stereo. It does a decent job, but doesn't quite capture the beautiful sound. Not to mention that we had to mic it in about 10 minutes. Oh the joys of set changes are festival stages.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by call1800ksmyazz
^-Its only open on one side. Will is correct.

? i'm sure most the leslie cabs i've seen were open on 2 sides... maybe they'd been modded for that use then.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Will_Minus
Oh, I know about stereo. It does a decent job, but doesn't quite capture the beautiful sound. Not to mention that we had to mic it in about 10 minutes. Oh the joys of set changes are festival stages.

Yea, I understand that time thing! It sucks! They start late, dont give you a sound check, they are in a rush, bands get cut off, erg..
Just find a way to make the speaker spin 360 degrees without twisting the wires.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

As stated besides (on my user title), wikipedia is your friend.

This is the basic way that a Leslie speaker works. I have no idea how to spin 360 degrees (actually it should be infinite degrees....) without twisting the wires, and the only idea That I have gotten is a specially built speaker that rotates on rails connected to the power, but it makes no sense, its too complicated...... there must be an easier way.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Basically to build this, your gonna need to know how to wire/connect motors on speakers, have great woodworking skills, have good mechanic skills, and have good electrical skills for building the actual tube amp thats going in it (unless you use an external amp) and the speed control for the rotating. Not an easy project.
Quote by UniverseZero

As stated besides (on my user title), wikipedia is your friend.

This is the basic way that a Leslie speaker works. I have no idea how to spin 360 degrees (actually it should be infinite degrees....) without twisting the wires, and the only idea That I have gotten is a specially built speaker that rotates on rails connected to the power, but it makes no sense, its too complicated...... there must be an easier way.
There IS!

The speakers in a Leslie do NOT rotate. The baffles do.

The horn unit has 2 horns. The driver is pointed upward and only the part from the throat up moves. The low frequency driver is pointed downward only the baffle assembly moves.

This drawing makes it easier to understand:

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.