I felt like compilling a list of great stuff I've been listening too recently. My own little collection of random stuff that I think is pretty good.

First on the list:

Lullatone - This band is quirky, kind of like Mates of State, except...not as fun. It's a duo (sort of) from Japan, and it's minimalistic electronica, kind of like Dntel, except...not as depressing. It's cute to zone out to.

Lullatone's Myspace
Suggested tracks:
Floating Away
Bedroom Bossa Band

Ramona Cordova - So, here's a guy who's a mix between Tiny Tim, Elliott Smith, and Bright Eyes. Yeah I know, crazy? The guy's music is brilliant in my opinion, and his style is so great and catchy. I've been listening to him for about a year now, and he's just amazing. I bought the cd, but I never got it.

Ramona Cordova's Myspace
Suggested Tracks:
Giver's Reply
Heavy on my Head
One Day Someday

Last edited by Something_Vague at Jul 25, 2007,
i'll add a few to the list and i'll give better descriptions later if you all want. it'd be better if you just click links.

Elekibass: Japanese Twee. seeing them aug. 24th! reminds me a bit of neutral milk hotel but different.
Myspace

Mono in VCF: Chilled out stuff with lots of strings. i street team for em, of course i'll add em, haha.
Myspace

The Ghost is Dancing: One of those, "just listen" bands
Myspace

B.C. Camplight: Ever wondered what would happen if Architecture in Helsinki went on a Beach Boys binge? Click

seriously, if you listen to any of these it should be B.C. Camplight.
A Sunny Day In Glasgow are probably my favourite on that list (although I don't know Ramona Cordova). Found them out a while back from seeing their 7" about, didn't think much of them at first, but they quickly grew on me.

Was quite surprised by the Justice album. Really didn't expect to like it when I got it, but they shot up in my estimations. Just hate all the music they do remixes of.

New for me...

Travel By Sea - 'Shadows Rise' is definitely something I'd recommend for Ryan Adams fans.

Mother Mother - 'Touch up', currently album of the year. Seriously good stuff.

Adelbert Von Deyen - 'Eclipse', a bargain of £3 from ebay. Very Pink Floyd-esq.

Voice of the Seven Woods - Risen up my list of favourite artists of the past couple of years quickly this year with some of his releases. Improv/psych-folk stuff. Latest two releases (a cassette and a CDR) aren't my favourite of his I have to admitt, but I'm holding out a lot of hope for the LP. Plus, those last two releases could probably get me a handsome profit right now, so that's always nice to know, especially in the debt situation.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Mother Mother are really great, but sometimes their quirky-ness is abit much, like Dirty Town. I've been listening to Touch Up since it came out though.

I'm not a fan of Voice of the Seven Woods, it's too....Lord of the Rings for me. My friend showed them to me awhile ago and I gave them a quick listen and it was way too serious.

I love Ramona Cordova though.
My god, I had never heard of 'A Sunny Day in Glasgow' or 'Ramona Cordova' before, and after listening to what you showed up with, I'm hooked.
Fantastic stuff, indeed.

And yeah, I just got into Beirut myself. Im really enjoying those guys too.

We should make these 'lists' monthly things. Nice way to discover new things, and talk amongst others about it.
I'd be down for compiling lists for this sub-forum. I've been frequenting here for awhile, I haven't posted here for a while, but I was here when we could talk about The Mars Volta in here. Which was a long ass time ago.

I'd be glad to compile monthly lists. I'm sure though Andrew could do the same thing with ease.

He's an indie guru compared to me.
Quote by Something_Vague
Mother Mother are really great, but sometimes their quirky-ness is abit much, like Dirty Town. I've been listening to Touch Up since it came out though.

I'm not a fan of Voice of the Seven Woods, it's too....Lord of the Rings for me. My friend showed them to me awhile ago and I gave them a quick listen and it was way too serious.

I love Ramona Cordova though.

I know what you mean with MM. The album doesn't stay the same for very long, and unless you're in the mood for a selection of stuff it's probably not the right thing to listen to. Just when I do put it on it sounds so fresh and original without having to use Sonic Youth style mess or the minimalist electronic stuff that seems to be increasingly more common.

Lord of the Rings!? You must be mad. Although I can see where you're coming from a bit. I find it lovely to listen to the Davy Graham inspired folk music mixed with a more Acid Mothers Temple approach to tracks. 'The journey' is something I'd highly recommend checking out.

I'll give Ramona Cordova a listen in a minute.

As for this kind of thing more regularly, well, yeah, it'd be great.
It could be some kind of non-sticky (no one ever reads the stickies) replacement for BOTM, but where others can contribute new additions as well.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Well, here's the thing with Vof7W, it's like Nick Drake, sort of. Now I love Nick Drake, but only...only on the rare occasion where he isn't trying to make epics, which was basically everything but Pink Moon. Bryter Layter is a great album, but it's really...unsincere I think, he tries much like Nico tried on Chelsea Girls to make something personal when they couldn't

Thing for Nico was, she came out with The Marble Index and that fucking blew. It was like listening to the howls of a depressed cat. Awful.

But for Nick Drake, he did Pink Moon, which was his "thing" I guess. I don't know what I'm getting at here, but Vot7W seems very insincere, and it feels icnredibly daunting to really appreciate.

I can usually go for that stuff sometimes, but it's a certain mood. I'll give them another listen maybe later, but I have to be ready to battle a monster so to say.
Fair enough, it's definitely not something for everyone.

Nick Drake is the most overrated folk singer/songwriter ever - actually, that probably goes to Elliott Smith. Ok, some songs were pretty intricate and pretty, but his albums were nowhere near perfect, and God knows why people have latched onto it thinking they are, but then that's all personal preference.
Nico, well, what can you really say about Nico? She wasn't born to be involved in music, but somehow it happened. She did some interesting stuff, but without the VU she would've got nowhere.

I don't really see what's insincere with VotSW, but if you feel that way then I doubt there's anything I can say to change that. I just find it a lot more interesting to listen to something like that at the moment than yet another post-rock band doing the same thing as the last, or another minimalist composing a few bleeps, or another band wanking off their guitars, or yet another song aimed at breaking the indie-pop market.

RateYourMusic
Nick Drake is incredibly over-rated and so is Elliott Smith.

I mean most of Pink Moon is mediocre at best, and majority of Elliott Smith's stuff is mediocre as well. It's fun to latch random dead people to such insurmountable things. ES died, and Wes Anderson used Needle in the Hay for The Royal Tennenbaum's (along with Nico...ironically) (bham!) ES just got thousands of die hard fans.

Nick Drake is used actually (in the same film, god damn Wes Anderson) and a bunch more times in random car commercials and Jimmy Fallon movies, he gets undulating praise for being a genius when he just put out under six really good songs, and the rest are kind of bad.

But like I said, I'll give it a good thoroughly listen later tonight with my headphones.
I remember the reaction of Elliott Smith's death on here.
CourtneyTaylor (then alt & indie mod) posted a thread about it, and the majority of the responses (mine included) were along the lines of, "who?"

Glad we're on the same kind of wave length about those two, very few people these days tend to agree.

Have to say, I've listened to a couple of those Ramona Cordova tracks the mypsace page and can't get into that. One of those things I could see working better in album format where you slowly get into it as it progresses.

RateYourMusic
I just listened to the Beirut album after my friend gave me it a long while ago and I like it. But why do you say "they" when you refer to Beirut? I thought it was just one guy recording in his home (which is VERY impressive if I'm not incorrect about that fact).

And I don't see why you guys are hating on Nico and Drake. I think the term overrated should be stricken from vocabulary. Drake, while not the greatest songwriter in the world, was a fine fingerpicker who could make clever lines with a soft, gentle voice. Not to mention the just beautiful arrangements that just touch up and accentuate the guitar rather than overshadow. I think Pink Moon is his weakest album for missing that element (I think I'm just a sucker for any sort of orchestration, though). Now Nico is all atmosphere (aside from Chelsea Girl which does have some very pretty arrangements courtesy of John Cale). Her albums like Desertshore and The End, even though they don't seem to fit at all with my music taste, I dig them quite a bit. Very experimental, very original. Once you get past her stupid sounding voice, I think her solo career can be very rewarding.

I guess this sort of turned into a mini-rant. I get in defensive mode when people say overrated, I suppose. Though I wouldn't call either of them music geniuses by any stretch, I think they're both deserving of more respect than you guys seem to give them. Again, not asking you to love them, just respect.
It's always a little difficult for me when I see "overrated" used in regards to Elliott Smith because I love his music. I realize everything's opinion but it takes a little more for me to get past it when it comes to Elliott. I really enjoy Nick Drake, too.

Anyway, Ramona Cordova and A Sunny Day in Glasgow are quite nice. Was never huge on Beirut, but it's enjoyable stuff. Lately, I've really been into Young Galaxy. Very much like Galaxie 500. I've been finding Casper & The Cookies somewhat enjoyable, too. They're kind of reminiscent of The Apples in Stereo, I think.

Edit:...and Doveman.
Last edited by slinks at Jul 26, 2007,
Pink Moon is probably my favourite album ever recorded. If someone states that it's mediocre at best then I think that they have either not listened to it enough or are just oblivious to the beauty of the album.
There is not a single bad song on there, seriously. I agree that he most likely wouldn't be anywhere near as famous as he is now if he hadn't have died. However, IMHO,
he was one of, if not the, greatest folk singer songwriter(s).

I also love Elliott Smith. I agree that his albums aren't perfect but he was a fantastic songwriter and it's evident in his albums.
He died thirty years ago bub...He got popular in the late nineties and early turn of the century.

You can thank Volkswagon for that.
Quote by Something_Vague
He died thirty years ago bub...He got popular in the late nineties and early turn of the century.

You can thank Volkswagon for that.

huh? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Are you saying he's only famous because of the VW advert?
Actually yes, that is the only reason he is widely known, that and the constant whoring of "Fly" "Serendipty" and whatever album Zach Braff is blowing at any given time. Do you know how many times Nick Drake has been on Scrubs/Garden State/Anything Braff is affiliated with?

Drake had never had a big album, but after that VW add, his album rose up to the billboard top #200. The album r was eleased over 30 years before and had never had wide spread success, yet in the weeks following the add his album practically rose from the grave and started selling in mass numbers.

Hell, the album comes with a sticker now that says, "Featuring "Pink Moon" from the VW Add."

He's only big because his music is *****d by every no name movie and commercial executive/director.

Pink Moon is by all means an execellent album, I take back what I said before, everything else in his catelogue is mediocre though.
Nick Drake had been a critic dick suck before the commercial and media frenzy of him as of late.

Pink Moon will always be one of my favorite albums just because of how fragile and simple it is. It clearly shows the bare essentials of what is necessary to make beautiful music.

If you are looking for something that isn't as popular as Nick Drake and Elliott Smith and that is on the same plain so you can boost your indie rating check out Richard Youngs - Sapphie. Brilliant, brilliant record kind of a combination of Joanna Newsom's Ys and Nick Drake's Pink Moon.
soooooo since this had turned into a nick drake discussion thread i'll throw my 2 cents in

pink moon is the only nick drake album that i find myself able to listen to all the way through, the other two don't do much for me. there are a few songs on there that i like, but nothing much.

also a band i have been listening to that i haven't heard any mention of in here: Bowerbirds, quite good, kind of folky, (un)fortunately pitchfork gave their album a very high review so there will probably be a boom on them, but john darnielle likes them so you should too
Last edited by uhh_me? at Jul 26, 2007,
Someone told me about Richard Youngs, and he sounded interesting. I checked his Wikipedia page, and his catalog was so monstrous I just said **** it. I suppose I'll check out Sapphie, though.
Quote by pixiesfanyo
If you are looking for something that isn't as popular as Nick Drake and Elliott Smith and that is on the same plain so you can boost your indie rating check out Richard Youngs - Sapphie. Brilliant, brilliant record kind of a combination of Joanna Newsom's Ys and Nick Drake's Pink Moon.

I really liked 'May' from Youngs, and I wanted to get 'Sapphie', then I realized I was paying $15 for 3 tracks, and forgot about it.

I dont know about you guys, but I think 'Pink Moon' is a little overrated in itself, dont get me wrong, I love it. Its just it seems like its all he ever gets credit for, but I love 'Bryter Layter' so much more.
Yeah, the title track isn't close to being the best song on the album. From the Morning is probably my favourite track.
Personally, I think all his albums are great. I can't think of a single bad track from any of his them. The only song I don't particularly like is Three Hours from FLL.

And I've listened to Nick Drake long before I saw Garden State and I can't remember even seeing the VW advert on TV. So what if his music keeps appearing on Zach Braff soundtracks? At least it's bringing his music to a wider audience (even if some of them will only say them listen to him for indie credit).

And on the subject of artists similar to Nick Drake, I find Just Another Diamond Day by Vashti Bunyan to bare a resemblance to FLL - probably due to the string arrangements. I'd reccomend you all to check it out. And yes, I listened it before the title track appeared on the advert

Anyway... on subject, i'm really digging Young Galaxy slinks.