here's the deal...I've got a sexy bass now, a moderate bass amp, a shure sm-57 but I don't know the best way to record bass and get the full tone...can the pros out there share their techniques? thank you!

-KS
Quote by Inahrima

Kirk: you know what would be hardcore?
James: what?
Kirk: metallica nail polish!
James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
bump
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

'Scuse me, i'm going to go listen to some black metal bands sing about black people. Then some grindcore about coffee.
More often than not, bands skip the amp entirely and record right into the computer - this'll tend to give you a cleaner, punchier tone. Otherwise, just stick the mic about 4-10 inches from the amp and tweak it until you get a sound you like.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
Most mic preamps act as a decent DI Box. I'd say the best way to record your bass would be to record a miced cab as well as direct input.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Most mic preamps act as a decent DI Box.

Did i miss something here?..because i dont SEE where he said he had a preamp.
I saw he had a sm57.
Quote by PsychomanZ
Did i miss something here?..because i dont SEE where he said he had a preamp.
I saw he had a sm57.

Are you suggesting that he has an SM57 microphone, but no preamp?

How the **** does he use the microphone without a preamp? You should know that a microphones signal is way to weak to record without amplification.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
the way people around here have 1000's of dollars worth of pirated software but are using a 1/8 " jack going directly to there crappy $2 dollar onboard soundcard...it would not surprise me.
I don't use a preamp, I use my tascam us-122l and it's worked fine...I used to use an art tube MP but that's kinda broken now =/
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

Quote by wylde_guy
I don't use a preamp, I use my tascam us-122l and it's worked fine...I used to use an art tube MP but that's kinda broken now =/

The us-122 has preamps in it.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
yeah, I kinda suspected that...when I've been recording bass, I put the mic about as close to the BOTTOM of the cone as I do to guitar, about 1-2 inches, is that too close?
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65

Id' back off to at least 5 inches away. Gives you more headroom.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I see...I"ll experiment later when my sister's awake so I don't piss her off
Quote by Inahrima

James:

Quote by grimreaper65