...What do you know? The real essential scales to know are
1) Minor Pentatonic shapes
2) Major shapes
3) Applying modes effectively to those major shapes. It doesn't matter if you know the terminology as much as that you can apply them well. It's alot of practice and experience.

Less common ones that you will use a bit less often, but would benefit from knowing:
Harmonic minor
Whole tone shapes
half tone shapes
Tons of others....
Quote by Sadistic sponge
...What do you know? The real essential scales to know are
1) Minor Pentatonic shapes
2) Major shapes
3) Applying modes effectively to those major shapes. It doesn't matter if you know the terminology as much as that you can apply them well. It's alot of practice and experience.

+1
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
thanks ill look into them but ya know i always have one scale that i seem to always fall back on the blues scale
thats because the blues scale is awesome. i love it, i use it in everything.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by x0rsist
thats because the blues scale is awesome. i love it, i use it in everything.

I hope he is sarcastic.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Find a tricky jazz progression and try using blues scale over it- the progression will own you. Just find progressions, and use the major scale over them. You want the major scale to be your fall back scale really. That way you can manipulate what notes you land on (what mode you use) so that things will sound how you want. Try playing finding a major sounding progression, and see if you can play something minor over it. Thats how I figured out how to use modes, at least.
Quote by DarTHie
I hope he is sarcastic.

well there is an entire genre of music that uses it almost exclusively

Quote by Sadistic sponge
Find a tricky jazz progression and try using blues scale over it- the progression will own you. Just find progressions, and use the major scale over them. You want the major scale to be your fall back scale really. That way you can manipulate what notes you land on (what mode you use) so that things will sound how you want. Try playing finding a major sounding progression, and see if you can play something minor over it. Thats how I figured out how to use modes, at least.

though even the pentatonics are useful in those

you get to a chord and you've got no idea what to do "omgomgomghelpmewhatdoidodoiuseaeoliandorianorphrygian?", just use the minor pentatonic over that part and it might even sound like know what you're doing
Last edited by seljer at Jul 25, 2007,