Page 1 of 2
First a little history: a couple of my friends used to have dreadlocks. Actually 3 of them. I was rather anti-dread for awhile, but lately I've grown bored of my normal long hair and I've grown keen to the idea (plus Anders Friden has dreads, and hes my favorite vocalist). About 7 or 8 months ago, a dread formed on the back of my head all by itself. Like I didn't do anything but wash my hair (I washed my hair too much back then, which dries out the natural oils which is bad, plus I dried the back of my head with my towel in such a way that it assisted the hair in getting matted). Still, its unnatural for hair to be able to dread that easily, which makes me more inclined to try dreads.

SO, last night I was brushing my teeth and I looked up at my hair and noticed on the side of my head a spot which was extremely frizzy. I investigated, and it was definitely dry also. So I thought about it a little bit, and decided that'd be a good spot for a lone dread, and picked up a comb and started back combing it. I had some second thoughts as I saw how much this was messing up my hair, but now I'm committed. Here's the condition as of this morning (hence the glasses and unkempt look):

I'll probably post a few more threads as this situation develops over a month or so. Wish me luck, and if anyone has tips for me or has dreads themselves, please share.
We're only strays.
Quote by pftyeaiplaybass
backcombing, dread wax, and hair dryers.

Or if you're a Rastafari, just don't touch your hair.
We're only strays.

I wish I was him.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
I say do it. Your hair looks like it'd be really great for dreads to get going. I still miss my dreads and it's been almost 2 years since I cut 'em.
this is the best idea anyone on ug has come up with yet this year

i would love to see you dread your whole head
Quote by pftyeaiplaybass
backcombing, dread wax, and hair dryers.

By all that is holy on this earth do not by any means use wax!! It will infest your dreads and start growing ****. Its almost impossible to get out of straight hair, I DARE you to try to get it out of what is essentially a sponge.

Quote by Vermintide
How does one form dreds anyway?

I'd like dreds. Dreds are sweet.

Take about 1 square inch of hair, take a comb, and start combing backwards, letting one or two hairs get sucked toward your scalp. Keep going until your down to a few hairs and let it be. That **** will unravel and start becoming a dreadlock.

You can never, ever get TRUE dreads through manual labor alone. That **** happens naturally. You can back comb to give it a head start, but the science of dread formation cant be duplicated with combs and hair products.
Quote by NorseGodofRock

You can never, ever get TRUE dreads through manual labor alone. That **** happens naturally. You can back comb to give it a head start, but the science of dread formation cant be duplicated with combs and hair products.

Exactly, thats how my first dread happened. If you try taking shortcuts, your dreads are gonna suck.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Exactly, thats how my first dread happened. If you try taking shortcuts, your dreads are gonna suck.

Well you can take short cuts and if you do them right it should turn out fine, but products and technique cant replicate the natural process. Back combing your hair puts it in a position to tangle faster, but you still wont have actual dreads for a good while.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Well you can take short cuts and if you do them right it should turn out fine, but products and technique cant replicate the natural process. Back combing your hair puts it in a position to tangle faster, but you still wont have actual dreads for a good while.

Well I look at that Dreadlock.com link and they mentioned dread shampoo and wax, and had a link to a site that sells it (dreadheadhq.com). Is that stuff worth the money? Is non-residue shampoo a necessity? Is there any in a normal store like Walmart?
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Or if you're a Rastafari, just don't touch your hair.

For Three years without washing your hair, perhaps.

I used to have a full head of big blonde dreadlocks.

That's not a dread, that's just a puff of matted hair. And yeah, there is a difference.

You need to buy yourself some dreadwax, but DO NOT BLOWDRY IT. just back comb it, and wax it up, twisting the hair. It'll take a while to set (2-3 months), but eventually you'll have a REAL dreadlock... With the wax, if you get the right kind (Knotty Boy is the best), you can wash your hair and everything, but keep the shampoo/conditioner away from the waxy hairzzzz

EDIT: Dreadlock.com sucks ass, do a google search for Knotty Boy Dreadlock Products, they have the best stuff by far...
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
Quote by Constantine

That's not a dread, that's just a puff of matted hair. And yeah, there is a difference.

I know thats not a dread bro, I just friggin started working on it. You should see the one on the back of my head, it is TIGHT (as in dread tight, not cool tight).

BTW Is non-residue shampoo completely necessary?
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I know thats not a dread bro, I just friggin started working on it. You should see the one on the back of my head, it is TIGHT (as in dread tight, not cool tight).

BTW Is non-residue shampoo completely necessary?

Buy actual dreadie shampoo. It'll be specifially designed for tightening up teh natties.

You should go full out dreaded, it would look good on you, and your hair would form nicely.
Quote by Vornik
I do want to, but I want longer dreads. I don't think I'd like it if I dreaded right now fully because the dreads just wouldn't be long enough. I dunno, I might cave in and just do it though lol.

I am curious to see what a few dreads mixed with my normal hair would look like, however.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I do want to, but I want longer dreads. I don't think I'd like it if I dreaded right now fully because the dreads just wouldn't be long enough. I dunno, I might cave in and just do it though lol.

I am curious to see what a few dreads mixed with my normal hair would look like, however.

They will form better when long, if you do them first when your hair is shorter.

Ideally, you should start dreadies with 3 inches of hair, as they'll be far tighter when they get really long.

Starting dreadies with really long hair will take ages.... Doing them now, they'll be nice and formed by the time that your hair reaches the length you want it.
Quote by Vornik
why is part of your hair just sticking out straight?

and nice skid row avatar...........love slave to the grind (the album)

Jack my swag
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well I look at that Dreadlock.com link and they mentioned dread shampoo and wax, and had a link to a site that sells it (dreadheadhq.com). Is that stuff worth the money? Is non-residue shampoo a necessity? Is there any in a normal store like Walmart?

For god's sake don't get the wax, whatever you do, if you enjoy not having irremovable white pus grow in your hair, do not put wax in your dreads.

The shampoo is just wonderful though. The lack of conditioners and crap in it insures your hair doesn't untangle by its self, and keeps it nice and frictiony. Helps it lock up faster. If you don't wanna buy their products, Dr Bronner's makes some great non-residue shampoo.

You live near the ocean? Salt water=holy water for dreads.

Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Dude, dreads grow. They grow a little slower then normal hair, but they grow. You'd do good starting them now, cause its less hair for the dread to...dreadatize? Read dreadhead HQ's site, everything there is pretty spot on aside from anything that mentions wax. If you want dreads do exactly what the say. Just, again, I gotta stress, don't use the wax.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Jul 25, 2007,
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Dude, dreads grow. They grow a little slower then normal hair, but they grow. You'd do good starting them now, cause its less hair for the dread to...dreadatize? Read dreadhead HQ's site, everything there is pretty spot on aside from anything that mentions wax. If you want dreads do exactly what the say. Just, again, I gotta stress, don't use the wax.

Well as a matter of fact I've been reading a lot on that site and they actually say that longer hair is easier to dread.
We're only strays.
you're not black.. what are you doing..

you'll look silly :[
Those with the heart and the brain to get past this can spot a pathetic without even asking.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Well as a matter of fact I've been reading a lot on that site and they actually say that longer hair is easier to dread.

Lol dude look at your hair. I'd consider that long enough.

When I did mine it was about your length and they turned out fine. You don't want your hair too long or backcombing is going to be a pain. took me about 20 minutes per dread, man. grab a friend/chain a hobo to your radiator, and force them to do it.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Jul 25, 2007,
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

Which website?

Dreadlock.com is full of ****, but Knotty Boy is actually decent instructions, and their products actually work... Google the Knotty Boy Dreadlock products website, it's far better.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Constantine
Which website?

Dreadlock.com is full of ****, but Knotty Boy is actually decent instructions, and their products actually work... Google the Knotty Boy Dreadlock products website, it's far better.

Irrelevant, but David Caruso went to my high school.

Just sayin'.
oh and a tip: get a load or mates round, get a load of beer, good food and **** to keep you occupied for the day because it'll take ages, will probably hurt a fair bit.

EDIT: constantine.. that's Frank Zappa's song in your sig, get a clue.
Those with the heart and the brain to get past this can spot a pathetic without even asking.
Last edited by AAAALLFF at Jul 25, 2007,
Quote by Constantine
Which website?

dreadheadhq is the best. I think hes using that. Knottylocks once had a forum, which they took down because EVERYONE was complaining about how the wax was causing **** to grow in their hair and hurting their dreads.
Quote by AAAALLFF
constantine.. that's Frank Zappa's song in your sig, get a clue.

steve vai performed and recorded it.........but your probably right cuz its the type of thing zappa would write

Jack my swag
Quote by NorseGodofRock
dreadheadhq is the best. I think hes using that. Knottylocks once had a forum, which they took down because EVERYONE was complaining about how the wax was causing **** to grow in their hair and hurting their dreads.

Dreadheadhq is utter ****.

Knottylocks =/= Knotty boy.

My dreadies were so nice from them, they weren't dry at all when they formed. I managed to take them out without having to cut my hair too, with their Emergency Dreadlock Removal... If you're just starting, buy one of their starter kits, it's really easy to do, I put all of mine in myself, too...

Scalp care is a serious issue with dreadies too, because dandruff = not cool, you don't want little white things in your locks... Their Knot-Teas are freakin' orgasmic for itchy scalp, too...

I <3 the company so much, they're like, perfect. Made with hemp oil, too. ^_^ All natural... <3 It's a small company, and isn't known all that well outside of Canada, but I'm pretty sure they ship internationally, their stuff is teh ****z.

I miss them so much... =( Maybe I'll get 'em back eventually...

And major teh o0pz for teh steve Vai siggy.
Quote by Vornik
I dunno, this is a tough decision because like I said I want to see what its like to have a few dreads in normal hair. I might like that look enough to keep it awhile. I suppose I could also cut my hair before fully dreading it, as well.

So yeah that kinda makes up my mind, I'm not going to fully dread it yet. I can always cut it to a more manageable length before dreading it all.

BTW I was just talking to my mom to see if she knew of any non-residue shampoos at local stores or anything and she mentioned clarifying shampoo, which is for taking out all the crap some people put in their hair (moose, conditioner, hair spray). Would that work like non-residue for my dread?

And what should I name my dread?
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I dunno, this is a tough decision because like I said I want to see what its like to have a few dreads in normal hair. I might like that look enough to keep it awhile. I suppose I could also cut my hair before fully dreading it, as well.

So yeah that kinda makes up my mind, I'm not going to fully dread it yet. I can always cut it to a more manageable length before dreading it all.

BTW I was just talking to my mom to see if she knew of any non-residue shampoos at local stores or anything and she mentioned clarifying shampoo, which is for taking out all the crap some people put in their hair (moose, conditioner, hair spray). Would that work like non-residue for my dread?

And what should I name my dread?

That would be really really bad for the waxxies in your hair if you're going to actually dreadify it.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Waxxies?

Wax, fool, I'm in a giddy mood.

>_>
Quote by Vornik
with dreads it's all or nothing mate, try getting hold of some wax and fake dread your hair, if you like what you see then go all out and do the twisty back comb thing..

Dreading does hurt alot and the only way out of it is shaving it off, it's a commitment not to be taken lightly, oh and don't expect to be hired for many jobs with dreadlocks, you'd be suprised of the prejudice it carries..

and constantine - Steve Vai did play on the song it's just the words of Mr. Zappa
Quote by AAAALLFF
with dreads it's all or nothing mate, try getting hold of some wax and fake dread your hair, if you like what you see then go all out and do the twisty back comb thing..

Dreading does hurt alot and the only way out of it is shaving it off, it's a commitment not to be taken lightly, oh and don't expect to be hired for many jobs with dreadlocks, you'd be suprised of the prejudice it carries..

and constantine - Steve Vai did play on the song it's just the words of Mr. Zappa

bullllll.

It doesn't hurt at all if you're doing it right, and even then, it's only when you're back combing.

And no, you can comb dreadlocks out, but it'll take alot of time, and shampoo, or a specialized shampoo to remove them, like they sell on Knotty boy.
Quote by Vornik
if you cut you hair just a wee bit, you could be like Zack De La Rocha
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
if it doesn't hurt, and they're not natural, you're not doing it right ;o

and I know you can comb them out but it's much easier just to hack off
I say go for it!

I was looking at a website once a few months ago about some guy who did his own. He made a picture diary for every week at the start and then every few months or so for about a year. I can't find the link to it now though argh I can remember he played drums so that might help if you want to search for it.

EDIT: Got it! http://www.ryanhenderson.com/dreads/
Page 1 of 2