Page 1 of 6
Well being as these are all over the place, and I am after all - THE - master of Jaguars, I think its high time we had one of these for us offset lovers.

This is going to be the one stop thread for:

*Jaguar problems (Bridge, setup etc)
*Jaguar worship (c'mon, they rule.)
*Jaguar sightings
*Pedro Worship (I kid, I kid)

I will try and use my extensive knowledge to answer all your Jag-ish questions too.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!

And it's ALL MINE!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
*cough* Jazzmaster > jaguar *cough*
But this is my favorite jaguar
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

I like the Jag with a Maple neck, it really gives in an edgy look. I've seen very few with Maple.

And ped, quick question: Can I install a mute on a CIJ Jaguar?
Jazz's and Jags are very different.

Scale length, body size, circuitry, pickups, neck profile, bridge (well it USED to be different, as Jags had wider necks), etc. String spacing too I believe.

And Tubaboy got sigged.

And yes you can install the mute, provided your using the stock bridge. I've never seen or attempted it with anythign else. Also the mute DOES put you out of tune.

But c'mon you can palm mute and tap at the same time with a mute! And strum and do all sorts of wonderful things.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Last edited by Pedricko at Jul 25, 2007,
Quote by Pedricko
Jazz's and Jags are very different.

Scale length, body size, circuitry, pickups, neck profile, bridge (well it USED to be different, as Jags had wider necks), etc. String spacing too I believe.

And Tubaboy got sigged.

i meant cosmetically the same. sorry for tah misunderstanding.
They aren't even cosmetically the same! Gah!
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko

And yes you can install the mute, provided your using the stock bridge. I've never seen or attempted it with anythign else. Also the mute DOES put you out of tune.

But c'mon you can palm mute and tap at the same time with a mute! And strum and do all sorts of wonderful things.

I've got a Mustang bridge on it, will that affect it?

EDIT: And you're totally right. Jazzmaster and Jags are completly different.
I'm really not sure on that one buddy, I guess it would.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
hey!

what'd your opinion be on putting together a Jaguar from parts from Warmoth? with the regular bridge and everything (to what I understand the Jaguar stuff they sell accommodates regular single coils, not the Jaguar ones, but I'd be going for the regular Jaguary Fender tone, not some highoutputheavymetalhumbucker thing)

atm i've still got my ill-fabled Squier Jagmaster ( but I just put in a new bridge pickup ) and I've grown pretty accustomed to the shape of the thing, but I end up obsessing over things like colours and such which is why I'm drawn to Warmoth (and I could wire it up myself as I was thinking about putting some various electronics on it, a booster of some sort and maybe some other stuff)
Quote by seljer
hey!

what'd your opinion be on putting together a Jaguar from parts from Warmoth? with the regular bridge and everything (to what I understand the Jaguar stuff they sell accommodates regular single coils, not the Jaguar ones, but I'd be going for the regular Jaguary Fender tone, not some highoutputheavymetalhumbucker thing)

atm i've still got my ill-fabled Squier Jagmaster ( but I just put in a new bridge pickup ) and I've grown pretty accustomed to the shape of the thing, but I end up obsessing over things like colours and such which is why I'm drawn to Warmoth (and I could wire it up myself as I was thinking about putting some various electronics on it, a booster of some sort and maybe some other stuff)

I bet a Warmoth Jag would be nice, but why not just buy a standard Fender one? I got mine off eBay, you can find plenty of nice MIJ, CIJ and MIA Jaguars all over the place on eBay. It would be alot cheaper too, that buying all the parts, installing them, etc.
I'm in the middle of making a Warmoth Jag (I'll post a thread friday maybe).

I've already sprayed it metallic purple, got a satin finish rosewood/maple neck with a reverse headstock. Its going to be fantastic (Truth be told, I've had this body and neck for like 3 years, and never really done anything with them). Also on friday I'm going to be in with £200 (Roughly $400) with which to get pickups, and the hardware.

I have decided to use humbuckers anyway, as I find them more suited to my style of music, I may however go with coil tapping. I'll be using a telecaster from warmoth sooner or later, I already have the Alder body and Neck from a squier affinity, which seem good enough. Shame is its not string thru, so its going to need drilling.

I really really really reccomend their modified bridge, as it's a godsend, and works correctly with their godly compound radiuses. I'm also liking the look of the Jagmaster, but whats the body wood?
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Kartman
I bet a Warmoth Jag would be nice, but why not just buy a standard Fender one? I got mine off eBay, you can find plenty of nice MIJ, CIJ and MIA Jaguars all over the place on eBay. It would be alot cheaper too, that buying all the parts, installing them, etc.

I just like the idea about being able to choose every single thing about the guitar

not sure about the price, but I once put together a tally for my dream strat (which I'll order one day...when I got a source of income :P) and it came to around $1600 with all paint done by them, hardware,shipping,etc.... which I'd consider pretty good for what is a dream guitar. Only thing I'd have to do is screw it together and set it up (and take it to a luthier to get the frets done)

my Jagmaster is made out of alder as far as I've seen in the cavities and neck pocket
I recently put in a Swineshead Venom in the bridge, great pickup for the price, lots of clarity with distortion, though cleans are a bit muddy (but who needs those? :P I'm not 100% sure but it seems that the Swineshead is out of phase to my stock Squire pickup, it gives a really nice clean sound in the middle position)
Ooooh, is it a 24in scale?

I saw a red one with chrome covered humbucker sized P-90s. Is nice </borat>.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
Ooooh, is it a 24in scale?

I saw a red one with chrome covered humbucker sized P-90s. Is nice </borat>.

its the regular Fender scale length (I can't even remember what is it :P)
Its a 25.5.

I'm sure the new ones are 24.

God I love kooky fenders. I even like the Squier 51
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
yeah, I think mines from 2002 or 2003

no idea about the new ones since I haven't seen once since
(I probably paid too much for it as I was a n00b at the time)
Quote by Pedricko
Its a 25.5.

I'm sure the new ones are 24.

God I love kooky fenders. I even like the Squier 51

The jap is imo (as with all japanese made fenders) superior toa MIM, and on par (and sometimes better) than the MIA.

The MIA Jag (You can't get MIM, but it WOULD rule) is hideiously over priced, and not all that good. The CIJ is your best bet.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
this is a total noob question here, but everyone uses MIM, MIA, and CIJ . what's japanese, mexan, american etc? i know it means the way they're built, where and cost etc. is MIM mexican?
Last edited by remotepart at Jul 25, 2007,
MIM = Made in Mexico
CIJ = Crafted In Japan
MIA = Made In America

In the generally accepted order of quality.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
MIM = Made in Mexico
CIJ = Crafted In Japan
MIA = Made In America

In the generally accepted order of quality.

aah, thanks very much. i always thought MIM was the 2nd highest, with japan being the lowest. that makes me feel a bit better. cheers.
Well pricewise sometimes CIJ is lowest, but don't let that fool you.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
Well pricewise sometimes CIJ is lowest, but don't let that fool you.

aah i see. do you know anything about poplar wood for guitars? it doesnt sound very...exotic.
It's not, but it's a perfectly good wood- a lot like alder, but with better sustain.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I heard you can't get left handed ones, you'd have to send off to the custom shop or something... I was gutted! Didn't Cobain play one?
Quote by Scarlet_Fever
I heard you can't get left handed ones, you'd have to send off to the custom shop or something... I was gutted! Didn't Cobain play one?

he strung them out and played them them upside down, like Hendrix
You can most certainly get lefty Jags, kurts was a lefty from 65, if they were that common now, they should be rife now.

I think I'm right in thinking every single fender instrument atm comes in each handedness
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Scarlet_Fever
I've seen pictures though and it didn't look upside down...

www.kurtsequipment.com tells you about all of Cobains guitars.

I love jaguars, the best looking fender imo. Once I've graduated and paid off my student loan a Jaguar is going to be high on my list of priorities.
...Bleep Bloop...
I love the CIJ Jags. That's what I got.
Quote by Pedricko
You can most certainly get lefty Jags, kurts was a lefty from 65, if they were that common now, they should be rife now.

You'd think, but I've looked like, everywhere!?!
Quote by Scarlet_Fever
You'd think, but I've looked like, everywhere!?!

I could sell you one! I've got one I'm willing to sell!
I knew one way or another this thread would gravitate towards Kurt Cobain (Or surf music, or John Fruisicante)
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!