ok, here's the deal. I've been playing starter pack gear WAY TOO LONG!!!
So I'm wanting to buy better stuff.
But I don't know what I should get.
Some bands with tone I like are AFI (especially Black Sails in the Sunset & The Art of Drowning era) Flyleaf & HIM. But AFI is by far my favorite. So does anyone know how to get a similar tone??? Price-wise: I don't really want to go over $1000 but I can go up to maybe $1700.
hmmm... a used setup for 1200...get a schecter classic c-1...it has split buckers so u can get single coil cleans or fat thick distortion...new you can pay 650-700...amazing guitar i own one...and the amp...you can get a nice combofor about 5-600 hundred....
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Medium head

Ibanez RG1570 Black with Green Dimarzios (For Sale)
Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/59)
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)

Ibanez Tube Screamer
Metal Muff
DOD Death metal
Cry baby Wah
Not sure about Flyleaf, but I believe the guitarists from AFI and HIM use SGs. In your price range, I suggest Getting a Gibson Studio one, and putting some new pickups, tuners, and hardware. That'd be a proffesional axe.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
theres a lot you can do with 1000. go to a shop and try everything, then look for the stuff you like online, itll usually be a lot cheaper. you could get a 1x12 peavey valveking tube amp and an epi les paul studio for about 700. then throw in your favorite distortion pedal (because some people dont like the VK distortion, i personally like it) and thats an awesome set up.
ok, cool. What are some good amps for the sound I want (listed above). I was thinking about just getting a head and waiting on a cab, but idk how good a head would work without a cab. I'm used to a Squier Sp-10 with 3 knobs and 20 watts. So I wanna upgrade that first.
Jade uses Gibson LPs and Marshall JCMs. Find a used Epi or Gibson LP, and a used JCM head/combo?
Used Gibson Les Paul.

Peavey 5150/6505.

Pedals.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
I'd say track down a good used Jackson Soloist, and maybe a used or cheaper Marshall half-stack. Then grab a good multi-effects pedal, and you'd be set.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
angus's idea sounds good....
'jcm900 or 800 ( if ur lucky ) off craigslist for maybe 6-700..cab for 150-200...
then a epi les paul...?
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Medium head

Ibanez RG1570 Black with Green Dimarzios (For Sale)
Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/59)
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)

Ibanez Tube Screamer
Metal Muff
DOD Death metal
Cry baby Wah
Id go with a gibson sg (could go with a special/faded) + a marshall of sorts (i own a jcm 900 and know it could get the afi sound)
You'll need a good amp or else you ruin the guitar you buy (not literally but an amp that can't handle the tone of your guitar is useless) I use a Vox Valvetronix 100 tube and I love the thing. If you can dream the sound you can get it.