So I've been getting into doing some multiple finger tapping lately and everything seems to be working out well. The only thing is I can't seem to do is to train my right hand pinky to tap. I developed strength in my other fingers because I chicken pick when I play and by using them that often thats how they became strong. But I obviously dont chicken pick with my pinky finger.

So Im wondering if anyone knows any execises to perhaps help me strengthen my pinky finger on my right hand so I could tap with it?

Thanks.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

I suppose you could try flipping your guitar over and doing some finger independence and strength building exercises with your right hand.

Try doing this:

E --5--10--8--10--7--10--8--10

Using all four fingers (1st finger for 5th fret, 2nd on 7, 3rd on 8 and 4th on 10)

Use hammer-ons and pull-offs, and only pick the string once. Try to keep the sound going. Its hard enough doing this normally; reversing the guitar and using your 'wrong' hand should be interesting, but it'll help with multi-finger tapping.
heres a tab for what i created a week or so ago when i wanted to get into it.... what id do is for the right-hand bit alternate between any of the fingers... in your case, use the pinky every other tap:

E-----------------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------5h8-t12-------------------
G--------------5h7-t12------------------------5h7-t14-------
D--------------------------5h7-t12-----------------------------
A---5h7-t12----------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------

this helped me a lot, and im still using it ... right now in fact hope it helped dude, peace
what i did for a week was play eruption 5-10 times every day with my ring and pinky, it helped a bunch
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
MY first thought just seems too obvious. just practice tapping with JUST your pinky. That should build up the strength needed for multiple finger tapping.
Just practice a good amount. It shouldn't be too hard to get all of your fingers but your pinky comfortable.

You honestly won't need to use your pinky when tapping in most situations unless you are pulling a Stanley Jordan. Even then, you can get away with it.

Build finger strength and expiriment some. You can do some really awesome stuff with two handed tapping.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OHZTyfKseZE&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mHQOWre8Htw&mode=related&search=
Last edited by garden of grey at Jul 28, 2007,
Try learing some Stu Hamm solos on bass, like Sexually Active or his version of Moonlight Sonata. You'll get some basic coordination, and more strength than practicing on just guitar.

T  T  T  T          T  T  T  T           T  T  T  T
         1  2  3  4          1  2  3  4           1  2  3  4
--------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------1h2h3h4-13-14-15-16-
---------------------1h2h3h4-13-14-15-16----------------------
-1h2h3h4-13-14-15-16------------------------------------------

That's what I did when I first got into multiple finger tapping. The numbers below the T's (which stand for "tap") are the picking hand finger numbers to use. Do that with every chromatic exercise you can find.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Just play all tapping parts you allready know with your pinky and play pentatonic scales up and down with your right hand ( and mute it with your left hand )

And rather focus about power and presision in the 1st place... instead of speed
--S---------
S---H------
--H---R----
S---R---D-
--H---E----
S---R---D- SHRED
--H---E----
S---R---D-
--S---E----
----R---D--
--H---------
S-----------

How many times do you see SHRED in this?
I reccomend using complete scales to practice full hand tapping. Youll never use all 8 fingers on 1 string so its a useless thing to practice (unless you do chromatic stuff). But just use major scale forms, pentatonics and any other scales you can figure out. Chromatics work alright but they dont sound that good (IMO) and they dont develop technique much either (IMO).
The only things we hate are those things we try to hide from others.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by Carmel
Either way, I don't think bananas should be placed in such proximity to an ass

I disagree. Bananas and ass are like peaches and cream.
i can tap with every finger cept for my pinky which im working on, i just cant get the strength in it
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
You might not use it BUT doesnt mean is shouldn't be a skill in your arsenal. What if you loose a finger, you might find you need it.

Plus constructing chords and sweep patterns using the right hand would require the pinky anyway.

(and CC devile I FINALLY get what the blue #s are in you sig!!!)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Check out this video. If you do the four finger exercise he shows you, it'll help your pinky.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
Quote by Absent Mind
You might not use it BUT doesnt mean is shouldn't be a skill in your arsenal. What if you loose a finger, you might find you need it.

Plus constructing chords and sweep patterns using the right hand would require the pinky anyway.

(and CC devile I FINALLY get what the blue #s are in you sig!!!)

slow user is sloooow... lol and that chromatic tapping exercise looks brutal lol
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.