An idea I had in the bass chat while discussing influences was this:
People jam over a predetermined chord sequence in whatever style, tempo etc they want. People then listen and try to guess the influences of the person who recorded, who they sound similar to etc. I'll get a simple chord sequence together if there are a reasonable amount of people interested, if there aren't then there's no point.

Chord sequence to be used

Em C G D

Any rhythm or timing for the chords cna be used. Any extensions can be used for the chords if you make a rhythm track, eg Em7 Cmaj9 Gmaj11 D9. If you use chord extensions please state what they are. There is no limit to length on the track. Please record a standard bass line. If you want you can also put a solo along with it, but a solo is not necessary.

I'll accept the Em chord being made into E7#9 if some wants to, that'll mean that all the notes are there from the Em chord.

Recordings so far
IndianRockStar: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R437N592
Sinan90: http://p-box.dmusic.com/ then click Guess the influence.
watchingmefall: http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=SOT3ZIHW (solo)
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Jul 29, 2007,
Sinan, this sounds intriguing. I'll give it a go if we can get enough folks interested.
I'd definitely be interested in this too. It's a good idea.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
At the moment I'm thinking a simple chord sequence of Em C G D, with the timing of the chords however you would want. You can also make extensions to the chords as well so it could be something like: Em7 Cmaj9 Gmaj7 D11 if you wanted as long as you make clear the chords you used if you make a backing chord track.
Founder of Jaco society

Its like bass charades!

Sounds like fun! i'll be here to organize if you need some help. hit me up with a PM or an IM or an Email or something!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
It really depends on how quickly people get stuff recorded, but if I need any help I'll send a PM.
Founder of Jaco society

Uh here is something I just whipped together. Its not very complex or whatever, but the influence I'm citing is very clear (if you know the band). And I think I may have messed up a couple times.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R437N592

Its a WAV.
hmm... it sounds simple, yet something kinda... punky

sounds like Blink 182 or something...
Quote by Slap n Thump
hmm... it sounds simple, yet something kinda... punky

sounds like Blink 182 or something...

Nah...did you listen to the whole thing? There are a couple runs at the end.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Uh here is something I just whipped together. Its not very complex or whatever, but the influence I'm citing is very clear (if you know the band). And I think I may have messed up a couple times.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R437N592

Its a WAV.

Well it's not really a style that sounds familiar to me so not much of an idea in terms of influence. But just a general tip you need more volume on the high strings, all that's easily audible are the lower notes, and try recording with a click track or metronome, it seemed fairly in time until the end part of it.
Founder of Jaco society

Strange, our band just recorded a song with the same structure (Em C G D, that is)...

Weird coincidence.
http://p-box.dmusic.com/ Guess the influence, that's in a rocky style, those chords aren't the greatest for a jazz style improvisation, but I'll give it a go later on.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by Belgian Bastard
Strange, our band just recorded a song with the same structure (Em C G D, that is)...

Weird coincidence.

Not really. Loads of bands use it, it's actually a really popular chord progression.

My band too has just written a song with that progression in, yet another song in G. I might record the bassline for you all to guess my influences, it'll be pretty obvious I think.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Not really. Loads of bands use it, it's actually a really popular chord progression.

My band too has just written a song with that progression in, yet another song in G. I might record the bassline for you all to guess my influences, it'll be pretty obvious I think.

Yeah, I know it's a pretty very basic and perhaps cliché progression, but we just recorded that song the same day this topic was created.

ps: I'll post the song in the nearby future. Our singer wants to re-record the vocal line first.
Well if people post or PM me recordings, I'll stick them in my first post, then people can have a guess at everybody's influences as it goes on.
Founder of Jaco society

Well the idea is that you play a line like you would in a band, if you had a piece which revolved around those 4 chords. as long as you play in your natural way, it doesn't matter. For the chord changes you can have it by playing the chords on top and then your bass line or just your bass line.
Founder of Jaco society

Do you want that first one to be considered as a solo?
Founder of Jaco society

Done the solo part, and no problem with waiting for another recording, you've got one more than most people in here.

/obvious clue
Founder of Jaco society

Nice thread idea, I'll try to get a recording of some type up if I can ever find my mic. I know it's around here somewhere...

As for guessing the influences, Sinan's is the only one I've been able to listen to, since megaupload doesn't like me, and I'm guessing a mixture between Jaco and Flea would be the influence there.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Sinan--I may have something to contribute later on this week; I'll try to get it posted up as soon as I work out the timing a bit more, lol.
Jaco is a big influence for me now quite consciously when I play, and I suppose Flea is going to be in there somewhere because he was the first bassist I really got into and learnt pieces played him even though I don't look at him so much anymore. Any other ideas for influences?
Founder of Jaco society

Just thought it because he used a while lot of random harmonics in his stuff, Oh well :s
Quote by watchingmefall
yeah, please, I'll try to make another song, but I've been quite busy, I have two jobs

Well there is obviously some Jaco influence (several part of the solo sound PoT-esque and I am not just referring to the use of harmonics. Mainly the tempo and structure.). Other than Pastorius, maybe Manring?
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
PoT by Jaco and The Enormous Room by Manring made a huge impact on me. Do you see any more influences in the song? (which I just named Portrait of Ingrid(later I'll explain the why of the name if somebody want to listen to my stories ))
I'll listen.

/Bump
Founder of Jaco society

Bump..Sinan I'm off work this week, so I'll post something up before the week's out. We need to revive this thread again, esp. since with the new profiles, everyone's posting up mp3s of their playing..