ive got a Valveking 212, and my new co-guitarist has a ****ty practice amp. we need an amp for under $400. Solid Sate(as long as its good), Hybrid, or Tube, i dont care as long as it sounds good. We play Metalcore/Screamo/Metal and i have a distortion pedal just in case. . .
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
How about trying a Crate Palomino series. All are good. 15w tube amps are around $350 i think. try those first. otherwise, try to go w/ another Valveking.
I was impressed by laneys TF800 head, the lower series are combos eg TF200, TF300, etc.
also perhaps a Marshall Valvestate 5050, their both discontinued but, fairly cheap amps which should give you what you want.
everyone needs to just face it, the words "loud" "sounds good" and "under $400" does not exist. The only amps I can think of are Roland Cubes, Vox ADs, and a Fender Blues Junior and all those arent loud enough to compete with a 40 watt tube amp.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Look used!

Someone's gotta have a Peavey Classic 30 or 50 for sale for under $400. Craig's List by me has a Crate V32 for $275. There's deals to be had.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Might be worth while checking out a B52 amplfier. I got mine for $400 at guitar center. The list price is higher, guitar center is always negotionable. If the valveking is the introduction to tube amps, B-52 is the introduction to high gain tube amps.
WTLTL 2011
If you like your VK why not test drive the 112 combo? $429 list.
Check out windsor combo when comes out, or used stack.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
How about a used peavey 5150? It'll probably be $100-$150 above your current price range, but if you're going to spend that much money, why not get something you won't want to upgrade six months down the road?
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (EMG 81/85)
Peavey 6505+
old Marshall 4x12
ISP decimator
MXR 10-band equalizer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Foxx Clean Machine
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Small Stone
member, electro-harmonix users' guild
Used 5150 if he can save up and you dont mind them blowing your tone away.

If not, Maybe a used B-52 AT112 combo, that might be hard to find though.

Windsor with a overdrive would also work, but forget about cleans matching the valve kings volume.