I have decided to take up electric guitar as a second instrument after about a year playing bass. I've borrowed my friends Yamaha pacifica. (he offered to let me buy it for £50 and i decided its not really worth it) Its the most basic version and is three years old, it has not aged well though and has quite a few nasty dents and scratches, the main problem however is the fact the e and b strings have not been fitted correctly and the bridge has been damaged as an affect of this. But i have noticed it feels quite nice and its comfortable for my relatively small hands, my budget is around £200-£300 ($350-$600) getting an amp is not a problem as i have a Roland cube 15 and all i want a guitar for is the usual practicing around the house etc so i don't have to split my budget.

I have been looking at ESP/LTD's, Ibanez's, Jacksons and Epiphones but i'm unsure of which would be the best for the price range i have. And i would also like to know if i can get a guitar from an American website and have it shipped over here to avoid some costs. It may also be useful to note i have an uncle who lives in Texas so i could have the guitar shipped to him and then he could ship it over here for me (i'm guessing thats a better idea than paying loads to have it shipped here).

Thanks in advance. (i also apologise if some of my post does not make sense its 1am in the morning here and i'm really tired so thats my excuse. I also have a tendency to ramble on about things so sorry once again.)
The pacifica wouldve been a good choice.
If your into something heaver than maybe an Ibanez RG321 How exaclt has the bridge in the pacifica been damaged. IMO if the pacificas workable, go for that, sell your cube 15 and get a better amp. The cube 30 wouldve been much better choice or the 20x or one of the vox ADVTs. However if you honestly think youd get more out a more expensive guitar then fine. But theres no sense wasting a good guitar through a poor amp.

You could probably get an MIM fender strat easy.
well if your into metal and you got the cash

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper-400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516660

the LTD viper is a nice guitar

but personally, if you are just starting out i would not spend that much money on a guitar unless you are sure that is something you really wanna spend time with and not get over it in 6 months
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Start on A SQUIER or An ibanez GAX, 30 or 70

decent guitars,
and
when you are done with them and move on
you can mod them to make them better
I don't even shred
I happen to be into stuff ranging from metal - jazz (not too much jazz but i like the odd song every now and again) so this would effect my playing styles. What i'm looking for is something versatile that can play pretty much any style. I've also tried out a few guitars: PRS SE custom, LTD F-100, LTD M-100 (i quite liked this one), ibanez RG520x, Gibson SG G-400 (i just wanted to see the differences between the epi and the gibson G-400 i liked them both but i would have gone for the epi because the sound difference isn't that large and the epi was ALOT cheaper), Epiphone SG & LP studio, an assortment of squiers, some other Ibanez's that i can't remember the name of, Fender american strat (if i bought from America and got my uncle to bring it over i could afford one - but i don't really want to have one of them as a starter guitar i would end up cherishing it and not playing it much in case i broke it), Dean razorback (i absolutely hated this one), BC rich mockingbird evil edge (way too heavy and uncomfortable) and some others. The only guitars that stood out had to be the Fender, the PRS, the LTD M-100 and the Ibanez RG520. Also bear in mind these were all tested on a £800 Marshall. (not sure if it was tube or not the guy in the shop seemed very odd about this amp when i asked questions)
There was quite a large typo there, i didnt mean the Fender American strat (there like $700+) i was looking at the Fender standard strat.
Quote by Rywad
There was quite a large typo there, i didnt mean the Fender American strat (there like $700+) i was looking at the Fender standard strat.

I wouldn't recommend the Fender standard strat, doesn't suit metal the best without heavy mods, and still, It would be better to get something that is good for you stock. I'd recommend Epi Les pauls, G-400's, or PRS SE's. They'll all suit you perfectly and are some of the most versatile guitars.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Jup Your Right Ibanez Gax Good Choice (or how the **** you spell it) I have a gax-30 and for first guitar its Super
I also wonder if it would be worth buying from America and getting my uncle to bring it over for me cause it would mean i get the guitar for half price. I guess the max of my budget is about $500/$600.
You can't go wrong with starting on a Yahama Pacifica. Great little guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
You can't go wrong with starting on a Yahama Pacifica. Great little guitars.

Yeah. Great necks, play well, sound great plugged in and unplugged. Pickups are not great, but at some point it will be worth pulling them out and putting new ones in. The only other thing I find is the saddles have sharp edges. Have heard of of a lot of other people complaining of broken strings every 2-3 weeks, personally, only one of mine is sharp, and I've only had a couple of broken strings because of that. You could go for a 112 or 120 or maybe a higher model, although anything below the 612 probably isn't worth getting: you could just get a 112 and put new pickups in, I doubt you'd notice a difference. You might have a problem finding a 120, I think it's been discontinued, but basically it's a tele type model, there are two variants: one with humbuckers, one with single coils.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-pacifica112j/1269
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-pacifica412v/67310

RGX
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-rgx-320-fz/68391
This is pretty good aswell, decent alternative to the Ibanez RGs... has a similar problem though - from what I can remember, the neck was a similar thickness to the Ibanez Wizard II.

I don't like Ibanez RGs, but I can't deny they SOUND good. I tried countless models, I didn't like the wizard II necks, they feel a bit thin to me, but loads of people like them.
321 - good guitar if you like the neck
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/ibanez-rg321-mh/67798
Have a look at more, RG's with trems, the Hunbucker, Single coil, humbucker (HSH) ones

Squire tele's are great as well, but not as good as the others, and don't suit your styles of music as well as the others. There's epiphones, particularly Les Pauls... standards and studios would be good for you, stay away from the specials, customs might be stretching your price a bit. Have a look through this page:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=&x=26&y=11&m=Epiphone&c=Electric+Guitars&r=Price+Range
Try out any you like the look of.
Got a bit carried away there. Hope it helps
Cheers for the help, i mentioned the pacifica because my friend is selling his for £50 so i thought... hmmm could be worth it.

I also wondered if the epiphone lp-100 or the lp special II "deluxe" or is it "LTD" are any good.

I currently own a pretty basic Ibanez bass (GSR200) and i like the feel and the craftmanship of it, so i have figured that i may also like the guitars that ibanez offer.
Quote by Rywad
Cheers for the help, i mentioned the pacifica because my friend is selling his for £50 so i thought... hmmm could be worth it.

I also wondered if the epiphone lp-100 or the lp special II "deluxe" or is it "LTD" are any good.

I currently own a pretty basic Ibanez bass (GSR200) and i like the feel and the craftmanship of it, so i have figured that i may also like the guitars that ibanez offer.

Try Ibanez guitars... you might like them. Stay away from Epiphone specials, they're made from plywood.