I just got an electric guitar (RG321MH) and the amp 2 weeks ago so still kinda newbie.

1. I've been trying to mess around with the settings on my cube 30x trying to get a nice distorted metal tone but i just can't find a nice tone. It sounds too "messy" when i put the gain past 7 on R-Fier (is that what u guys term as "muddy"?)

Is it even possible to get a nice distortion like those u hear on records, distorted yet smooth and crisp kinda sound? Is it due to my playing or is it the amp?

Would pedals help?

2. Also, there is always a bit of ringing sound coming out from the amp after i play a note...it isn't very obvious but it bothers me...how do i resolve this problem?

ps - i've been listening to Megadeth a lot lately (if that helps) =)

Thanks in advance!!
I too, use the cube 30, not only for pracetice, but for am. recordings.

My advice...

Low- 10

Mid- 0 or 2

High- 7 or 8

Gain- Tweak with it untill you find what your looking for.
MAKE THEM SUFFER
thanks Xenophon821!

how bout the ringing/ buzzing noise coming out from the amp? Is it possible to avoid that?

Do pedals help to improve the tone greatly? I know nothing about pedals at this point of time
it is most likey your pups in the rg. they are muddy no matter what. A good example of one of my setting is when i play like boston on my 30x with like my hellraiser i have the bass and mid at about 1 and the treble to 8, using r-fier and gain at 8. sounds sweet
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Humming from an amp. Welcome to the world of analog. And yes, you'll deal with hum for probably the rest of your electric guitar life.
Quote by Xenophon821
I too, use the cube 30, not only for pracetice, but for am. recordings.

My advice...

Low- 10

Mid- 0 or 2

High- 7 or 8

Gain- Tweak with it untill you find what your looking for.

[quote="'MaCcA[7"]']thanks Xenophon821!

how bout the ringing/ buzzing noise coming out from the amp? Is it possible to avoid that?

Do pedals help to improve the tone greatly? I know nothing about pedals at this point of time

It could just be your playing, no offense, but I get that sometimes when I play faster stuff, I lift my fingers to far off the fretboard and I get a harmonic tpye thing sometimes.
Quote by Maggot66
It could just be your playing, no offense, but I get that sometimes when I play faster stuff, I lift my fingers to far off the fretboard and I get a harmonic tpye thing sometimes.

but even if i just hold a chord and strum it once..........without letting go of the strings.....i can hear the humming......