Page 1 of 2
I haven't been a member of the UG community all that long. Maybe a couple months tops, though I've been checking out the site and the forums for far longer. In the couple of months I've been actively posting, I've noticed that every couple weeks another thread pops up that asks "what songs should I play for this girl/to impress girls in general?". Right now, I'd like to respond to all of them.

First off, playing guitar simply doesn't work that way, unless your last name happens to be Hagar or Lewis (Aaron) or Henley etc etc. I dont get it...why are so many people dilluted into thinking you can simply pick up a guitar, strum a few chords, and throngs of hot 18-year old girls will paradrop nude into the room and start grasping and clutching at you....... It may work in a music video, but in real life, not so much.

O.K., maybe that's an exaggeration, but period, if she's not into you, it dosen't matter what you play on the guitar. She's more interested in your personality, and while playing guitar in her mind is a bonus, because it shows that you can be artistic, it's by far not the determining factor. Not to mention if you play somthing a little too strong felt when you're not even in a relationship, she'll think you're weird at best, or at worst a creepy stalker. Do us all a favor and get out of your flippin' mind the image of a guy crooning from the bushes to a beautiful woman, only to end up happily ever after. That only impresses a girl if you already have a decent relationship with her, and if that's the case, what the hell are you doing in the bushes? It's Hollywood cliche, and it's not real.

Before you go learning a song to profess your love to this girl, try talking to her, maybe hanging out with her a little. You'll learn about her, and she'll respect you more for it. If you can't win her over with your personality, your guitar playing will be a moot point. Life simply dosen't work the way movies/T.V. shows/commericals portray it.

Not to mention it insults her intelligence, assuming that from a few notes she's going to fall weak at the knees and uncontrolably in love with you. Give her some credit, if you come off to her as having an interest and being remotely well-rounded, she'll respond much better then if you have to rely on a crutch like playing "Tears in heaven". And getting a little off topic, why do so many guys rely on this song to get laid? HIS SON DIED FALLING OUT A WINDOW FFS. I'm sure he's comforted that his son's death helped you get laid. QUIT IT WITH THIS SONG! There are so many other tracks, even if you limit yourself only to Clapton, that will give the same effect.

I assure you if you go in thinking a guitar will make her swoon, you're setting yourself up for dissapointment. Not to say it dosen't happen, but most likely it won't happen that way. She'll just leave thinking you're a douche. She will have far more respect for you if it appears you're good at guitar because you GENUINELY ENJOY THE GUITAR as opposed to making CLEARLY OBVIOUS attempts to get laid through playing. Play what you like, practice often, and the rest will come. For the love of God and the rest of us who have to read your crap, just play and enjoy what you're playing. Picking up the guitar with the idea of getting laid will only make your playing transparent and weak. On the other side of that coin, if she sees you playing a song you enjoy and you're really into it, she'll have more respect for your playing then if you make an obvious attempt to play a song with the intention of getting laid.

Sorry to be so blunt, but don't be so naive. If you have trouble with girls, the guitar isn't your answer. It may help, granted, but it certainly isn't a cure-all solution. Quit it with these meaningless, obnoxious threads and just TALK to her. You'll get a lot more out of it, and not to mention you'll get more out of your playing if you don't have an ulterior motive.

Play what you love, love what you play

-Garou1911-
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jul 28, 2007,

I especially agree with you on the "Tears In Heaven" bit- nobody should be able to play that if they aren't Eric Clapton, especially not if they're trying to get a blowjob.
nice rant

simply put

people who play the guitar to try to impress girls are the ones who later put roofies in girl's drinks.

they should be put down early.
i agree. my gf doesnt care if i play guitar. she just thinks its sweet when i dedicate a song to her at a show.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
Haha, I agree with what you say, but I have read those, and I find them intersting to read despite never wanting to try them. And I agree with you on "Tears In Heaven", although sticking with Clapton probably would be a good thing if the intention is what this rant is about.
haha, this is well put.

I love how right now the number 1 tab is "Hey there Delilah"

We all know there are noobs out there learning to get the ladies to drop their pants.

Some people just don't get it.
some people just dont take guitar as seriously as some people and those people will use it to increase their social image (be it with girls)
actually that little piece there would just about be the biggest turn off. guys who pretend that they can play instruments are worse than those who dont play at all.
clapton is god. if u wanna play it for da sake of playin clapton, do it. dont bag da god. but ppl who play instruments jst for chicks should be executed. i would do da honors.
I would have to agree.

Everyone knows chicks melt over guitarists who without warning bust out Five for Fighting on the piano!
www.myspace.com/theflyingelderly
We're Progressive Funk Rock (Frog Rock)

Founding Member of the Vermont Cult
PM Me to join

Quote by magnus_maximus
MAD should do its job and it'll all be hunky-dory.
it kinda worked for me...
although i wrote the song, so that might of had something to do with it...
Quote by dhoyda
haha, this is well put.

I love how right now the number 1 tab is "Hey there Delilah"

We all know there are noobs out there learning to get the ladies to drop their pants.

Some people just don't get it.

i learned that song for my lady
way to kill my buzz
I walk down the street with my acoustic and hot 18 year old chicks are throwing me their panties. You tell lies.
Bring back Tabo
Quote by kman123
clapton is god. if u wanna play it for da sake of playin clapton, do it. dont bag da god. but ppl who play instruments jst for chicks should be executed. i would do da honors.

Learn to spell, please. What?
I've never used my guitar for that reason and I don't plan to. I don't find it hard to get girls without a guitar, sure I play it for my girl friends, they think it's beautiful, but we aren't getting together.

Besides I ask the girl why she likes me, and if she says "cuz u have 1337 skillz un ur guitare" then I ain't carrying on the relationship.
Hmm interesting points and while I totally understand what you're saying, I don't agree with much of it.

In reality, someone you don't know very well or someone you've just met is going to be blown away by what you have to offer: car, money, guitar, etc. Sorry to be such a cynic but it's the way it is. Trust me, I totally dig the personality crowd, but unless your personality is just off the charts, guitar is going to be hell of a lot more impressive than saying "Hi . . . what's up."

I took a 5 week class at a local community college and did a presentation with my guitar. I played a song - ironically it was Tears in Heaven - and after class, I literally had the class flirting with me and giving me phone numbers (class was mostly girls, but I tend to attract both sexes).

**** me, I don't know maybe it is the winning combo of my personality and guitar, but guitar is one of the biggest catalysts in making relationships.

Regarding the Clapton issue, I agree with you that it should be respected, but seriously, who the hell gives a **** whether someone's playing it to impress someone? You have to be one bitter human being to bitch about something like that. Using your logic, we shouldn't play ANY songs but ones you've personally written because after all, you'd be taking advantage of other songwriters' heartbreaks, breakups, love, etc for you own benefit.

I do agree with that last line of yours - I just don't think anybody should give two ****s about what others are doing with what they love.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Last edited by la bamba at Jul 26, 2007,
you can simply pick up a guitar, strum a few chords, and throngs of hot 18-year old girls will paradrop nude into the room and start grasping and clutching at you

So... tempting... to... misquote... for... sig....

No but really, whether you like it or not some girls do throw themselves at guys playing guitar, some guys throw them selves at girls just because they dance or because they wear skimpy clothes. There are shallow people everywhere, sorry to have to break it to you like that. I've seen many examples where a dude just gets up and plays the guitar then all of a sudden he's surrounded by pretty girls when he wasn't before.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by 3holepunch
So... tempting... to... misquote... for... sig....

No but really, whether you like it or not some girls do throw themselves at guys playing guitar, some guys throw them selves at girls just because they dance or because they wear skimpy clothes. There are shallow people everywhere, sorry to have to break it to you like that. I've seen many examples where a dude just gets up and plays the guitar then all of a sudden he's surrounded by pretty girls when he wasn't before.

Megan Fox

TRANSFORMERS

But yeah, I've witnessed the same thing. . .
Hi!

Sig Retired.
My girlfriend doesn't actually like me playing guitar. Been with her for 18 months, been playing for about 7-8. I think she sees it as 'my other woman'
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Garou1911
I haven't been a member of the UG community all that long. Maybe a couple months tops, though I've been checking out the site and the forums for far longer. In the couple of months I've been actively posting, I've noticed that every couple weeks another thread pops up that asks "what songs should I play for this girl/to impress girls in general?". Right now, I'd like to respond to all of them.

First off, playing guitar simply doesn't work that way, unless your last name happens to be Hagar or Lewis (Aaron) or Henley etc etc. I dont get it...why are so many people dilluted into thinking you can simply pick up a guitar, strum a few chords, and throngs of hot 18-year old girls will paradrop nude into the room and start grasping and clutching at you....... It may work in a music video, but in real life, not so much.

O.K., maybe that's an exaggeration, but period, if she's not into you, it dosen't matter what you play on the guitar. She's more interested in your personality, and while playing guitar in her mind is a bonus, because it shows that you can be artistic, it's by far not the determining factor. Not to mention if you play somthing a little too strong felt when you're not even in a relationship, she'll think you're weird at best, or at worst a creepy stalker. Do us all a favor and get out of your flippin' mind the image of a guy crooning from the bushes to a beautiful woman, only to end up happily ever after. That only impresses a girl if you already have a decent relationship with her, and if that's the case, what the hell are you doing in the bushes? It's Hollywood cliche, and it's not real.

Before you go learning a song to profess your love to this girl, try talking to her, maybe hanging out with her a little. You'll learn about her, and she'll respect you more for it. If you can't win her over with your personality, your guitar playing will be a moot point. Life simply dosen't work the way movies/T.V. shows/commericals portray it.

Not to mention it insults her intelligence, assuming that from a few notes she's going to fall weak at the knees and uncontrolably in love with you. Give her some credit, if you come off to her as having an interest and being remotely well-rounded, she'll respond much better then if you have to rely on a crutch like playing "Tears in heaven". And getting a little off topic, why do so many guys rely on this song to get laid? HIS SON DIED FALLING OUT A WINDOW FFS. I'm sure he's comforted that his son's death helped you get laid. QUIT IT WITH THIS SONG! There are so many other tracks, even if you limit yourself only to Clapton, that will give the same effect.

I assure you if you go in thinking a guitar will make her swoon, you're setting yourself up for dissapointment. Not to say it dosen't happen, but most likely it won't happen that way. She'll just leave thinking you're a douche. She will have far more respect for you if it appears you're good at guitar because you GENUINELY ENJOY THE GUITAR as opposed to making CLEARLY OBVIOUS attempts to get laid through playing. Play what you like, practice often, and the rest will come. For the love of God and the rest of us who have to read your crap, just play and enjoy what you're playing. Picking up the guitar with the idea of getting laid will only make your playing transparent and weak. On the other side of that coin, if she sees you playing a song you enjoy and you're really into it, she'll have more respect for your playing then if you make an obvious attempt to play a song with the intention of getting laid.

Sorry to be so blunt, but don't be so naive. If you have trouble with girls, the guitar isn't your answer. It may help, granted, but it certainly isn't a cure-all solution. Quit it with these meaningless, obnoxious threads and just TALK to her. You'll get a lot more out of it, and not to mention you'll get more out of your playing if you don't have an alterior motive.

Play what you love, love what you play

-Garou1911-
Amen. I've tried to say this so many times, but some people just don't get it. ><
Thanks for all the comments

Well, I'm not saying it doesn' happen. Sure, superficial people are everywhere. The main point I'm trying to make I suppose is that while sure, a girl can be moved by a beautiful guitar piece, don't expect it to be a magic cure-all for your relationship problems.

As well, I'm not trying to say you SHOULDN'T play songs for girls. It's one of the reasons we play, to entertain the people we like. I'm not trying to insult those people who learn songs for thier wife/girlfriend etc. I'm pointing more twards "Hi, I just met this girl and I want to get into her pants. What song will get me laid" etc etc. I just find it obnoxious.

I'm also not trying to rip on Clapton or those who play it. I'm saying if you are thinking of playing a song to be romantic for a girl, there are other choices that actually have that meaning behind it. IMO playing "Tears(...)" to get laid at a party is a little like playing "happy birthday"at a wake. Sure, lots of people enjoy the song, but it's inappropriate for the situation.

Just play songs you enjoy, not because you expect it to work like auditory roofies.

And lol @ 3holepunch.
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jul 26, 2007,
Quote from Jon Bon Jovi during an interview (when asked what inspired him to take up music) - "Same reason as most musicians, for the chicks."

Sounds like it works fine to me
Quote by Highbinder
My girlfriend doesn't actually like me playing guitar. Been with her for 18 months, been playing for about 7-8. I think she sees it as 'my other woman'

Don't let anything come between you and the guitar.
Proud Member of the "Shoop da Whoop club"
PM C.C. Deville to join

O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############
Yeah, my girlfriend is a typical chick of the 21st century. She listens to rock songs here and there but mostly digs that R and B, rap stuff.. which I don't mind either. Unfortunately, I can barely play my guitar around her as the sound annoys the hell out of her and she'd rather listen to what Tyra Banks has to say on America's Next Model or w/e... ****in Bitch Tyra. I love Tyra though.. she's so hot. Sorry, off topic. But yeah, 21st century chicks don't give a damn about whether or not you play guitar. It's a drag, I guess?
The times they are a changin'.....
ive found girls are more interested in guys who are more interested in the guitar than them.
once i was sitting in a circle with a bunch of dudes and girls and the 'cool' guy in the group was strumming some crap by god knows what pop band, but twas obvious, and we voted him to stop and i got the guitar and flourished a delightful range of flamenco solea excerpts, and the girls were clearly more interested in me because of it (and, of course, my good looks) but i ignored them and kept playing, they were more interested.
Well I do and do not agree with the thread starter.
I mean I know alot of girls who wouldnt give a **** if I played some beautiful piece infront of them but I know a select few who are by no means shallow in fact one of them is the deepest introspect I know and If I played anything they would sit and listen then give critique.

I mean to say now I did start guitar with aspirations that girls would fall at my feetbut I continue guitar out of a love for the instrument and music in general.

Guys are in my opinion very lazy creatures and the hope of a girl is one of our most motivating factors therefore we start instruments for girls but we fall in love with the instrument and continue.

I love the song tears in Heaven I really do but i would NEVER play it for a girl unless she had specifically asked me to play it at her funeral. No other exceptions.

I have a deep hatred for the songs for girls threads but only because I see that all girls are different and have different tastes in music.

anyhow rant/thingamabob over.
ooooh finally! okz i can end this right here.

im a chick. i find guitars n dudes hu play em hot as.

BUT

lol if someone played me a song, like a love song and it was like dedicated to me n stuff. theres NO WAY IN HELL id wanna get involved with em cuz well....its just plain lame, honestly decidating a song to a girl? pffft thats wussy.
Lets all be nice
Quote by Highbinder

There are two things a girl just cant nag about, a guys mother and a guys guitar
Quote by Becca138
ooooh finally! okz i can end this right here.

im a chick. i find guitars n dudes hu play em hot as.

BUT

lol if someone played me a song, like a love song and it was like dedicated to me n stuff. theres NO WAY IN HELL id wanna get involved with em cuz well....its just plain lame, honestly decidating a song to a girl? pffft thats wussy.

Not the case with most girls.. but then again, most girls aren't huge megadeth fans haha
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/shakespeareJF/d.jpg[/img]
'Music is the face of God' - John Frusciante
Haha I was wondering why her shirt changed colors then realized she's nekkid. . .
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Quote by gratefulduck
i learned that song for my lady
way to kill my buzz

it's different when you learn it for her, and you are already dating, rather than learning it to GET her.

I don't have a problem with guys who learn songs FOR their girlfriend, just guys who learn songs to GET a girlfriend.
Quote by Ylviste
There are two things a girl just cant nag about, a guys mother and a guys guitar

Excuse me, but I think this needs to be sigd.

Anyways, On-Topic.

Girls are always different. There isn't one alike.

Having said that, I think it all depends on the relationship. BUT playing guitar to GET girls it's just plainly lame. Why even try that.

Then again I would't be interested in a girl that's just interested in me because I play guitar. Well yeah maybe, I mean we all do it don't we ?

YUP they're called groupies, and if have a Scenario, Booze and Drugs available then groupies shall come. .
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
Page 1 of 2