hey i dont know a whole lot about amps or gear or anything of that nature. im getting offers to be in bands as a guitarist and bassist. the only thing is id gotta buy i new amp. the question is how big of a difference would a bass amp be from a guitar amp? can i use one as the other? thanks im a moron with this stuff.
when you know you can't win, always ROUGH THE KICKER!
Not really. You can play guitar through a bass amp in in 9/10 cases it'll sound bad (Fender Bassman= only exception), but if you plug a bass into a guitar amp, there's a good chance that you'll blow the amp. Just get a dedicated amp for the instrument you play more, and tell the other band that you can't join unless they provide an amp for you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
ya i blew my old amp playing bass through it at low volume like 3 out of 10 i love the sound of my strat throu a bass amp thou with the insane low end for guitar:p
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
Quote by Sid McCall
Not really. You can play guitar through a bass amp in in 9/10 cases it'll sound bad (Fender Bassman= only exception), but if you plug a bass into a guitar amp, there's a good chance that you'll blow the amp. Just get a dedicated amp for the instrument you play more, and tell the other band that you can't join unless they provide an amp for you.

Not only the Bassman but i believe the Traynor Bassmate? also sounds great as a guitar amp.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by Sid McCall
Not really. You can play guitar through a bass amp in in 9/10 cases it'll sound bad (Fender Bassman= only exception).

Get any tube bass amp (which are much harder to come by) and it sounds great! not just the bassman.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
If you have a good bass amp, you can work with it, and get an adequate tone out of it, it won't sound quite as good as most guitar amps, but it will be adequate. Better than a 15 watt practice amp, in most cases. But if you try a bass through a guitar amp, there is a chance you'll blow a speaker, as the guitar speaker wasn't made for such low frequencies.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
If its a bass amp you want its a lot cheaper to find a bass amp with decent power then to find a guitar amp with the same wattage. So, depending on the money I wouldn't demand that they get you a new amp, but maybe go half and half with you. You could also try getting a nice big bass amp with an input jack for a CD and then plug a pre-amp into that for when you play with a guitar. That should turn it into something akin to a cab, but I'm not positive, its just an idea I had .
thanks guys you been a great help. keep on rockin!
when you know you can't win, always ROUGH THE KICKER!