so how should i go about learning it i just cant get the speed for the ascending thing at the start...also the sweeping what sort of speed to start
and yes i have a metronome
start at whatever speed you can do everything cleanly along with the metronome, and gradually increase speed in increments you can manage, theres no set speed to start, just whatever feels comfortable. good luck learnin it
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
I tend to learn bar by bar if its somthing really complicated. concetrate on the phrasing first at really low speeds untill you ar comfortable with the lick. Then expand it bar by bar still at low speeds untill you are comfortable with the solo. next gradually speed up. If you expect to nail it in a week you wont be close but take your time and perservere and you will get there eventually.
Start by finding the beat you can play it the cleanist, with no mistakes. Raise the BPM by 10 and practice until you can play mistake free once again. Raise the BPM another 10 and repeat.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
^I would say it's a good idea to raise the BPM by 2 each time, that way your fingers wont notice a dramatic speed increase which may cause them to tense up, and f*ck up.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by permanentmarker
start at whatever speed you can do everything cleanly along with the metronome, and gradually increase speed in increments you can manage, theres no set speed to start, just whatever feels comfortable. good luck learnin it

cheers dude
i hope i can pull this one off
and should i do exactly the same for the sweeping???
only for the sweeps i cant make the hammer on from 12 to 17
what should i do for that?
if you need me to type out the bit i mean just ask
Like it's already been said, start slowly at first and speed up when you can play cleanly at your chosen tempo, then rinse and repeat. It does help to go beyond the speed which your comfortable with then go back to a slower speed.

Like in real life, the largest gains are made when you go outside your comfort zone. Not too far though obviously, but just far enough to create a challenge.

The start of the solo in Anthem is basically like playing sections of a scale. So scale practice could help.
My Gear:
Cort X-9 w/ Super Distortion+Air Norton, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Wah
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
cheers dude
i hope i can pull this one off
and should i do exactly the same for the sweeping???
only for the sweeps i cant make the hammer on from 12 to 17
what should i do for that?
if you need me to type out the bit i mean just ask

if you can't hammer, tap instead
No sorry, I just already knew what the sweep patterns they used were because I use the Minor sweep (if that's the name for it o.O) nearly all the time xD

Edit:

----------------8--12/17-12-------------12h17--t20p17p12-t20p17p12-
------------10-----------------13-----13----------------------------------------
---------9--------------------------14--------------------------------------------
-----10----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what the sweep Corey does right at the end of his solo, it's not concrete note for note though
Last edited by Slash_metal at Jul 27, 2007,
Quote by Slash_metal
No sorry, I just already knew what the sweep patterns they used were because I use the Minor sweep (if that's the name for it o.O) nearly all the time xD

Edit:

----------------8--12/17-12-------------12h17--t20p17p12-t20p17p12-
------------10-----------------13-----13----------------------------------------
---------9--------------------------14--------------------------------------------
-----10----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-12--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what the sweep Corey does right at the end of his solo, it's not concrete note for note though

woah thanks dude

anyone anymore help???
maybe with the beginning ascending run?
E -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------13-15-17
G ---------------------------------------------------------12-14-16 ----------12-14-16------------
D ----------------------12-14-15 -----------12-14-15-----------12-14-15------------------------
A -----------12-14-15-----------12-14-15----------------------------------------------------------
E -12-13-15-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------
------------15-17-18-20
-14-16-17---------------

That's the run at the beginning of the solo, I think lol
This is corey's sweep bit.

T		      T							
|--------------12-17p12----------------12h17-20p17p12----------12h17-20p17p12---------
|-----------13----------13----------13----------------13----13----------------13------
|--------14----------------14----14----------------------14---------------------14----
|-----14----------------------14---------------------------------------------------------
|--15-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The start of corey's solo.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
|------------------------------------------------12-14-16----------14-16-17-
|---------------------12-14-15----------12-14-16----------14-15-17----------
|------------12-14-15----------12-14-15-------------------------------------
|---12-13-15----------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------
--15-17-18----------17-18-20-20b~----
-----------16-17-19------------------
My Gear:
Cort X-9 w/ Super Distortion+Air Norton, Jay Turser Vintage Series Strat
Line 6 Pod 2.0, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Peavy Rage 158
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Wah
not bitching but, to learn this, you gotta be at least grade 5 standard, i made this mistake countless times when i began playing, after a few months "im gonna learn Enter Sandman!"
a few minutes later "wait wait....so its the 0 then its the.....no wait...yea the 7 on the A then......er E?"
Quote by meh...
not bitching but, to learn this, you gotta be at least grade 5 standard, i made this mistake countless times when i began playing, after a few months "im gonna learn Enter Sandman!"
a few minutes later "wait wait....so its the 0 then its the.....no wait...yea the 7 on the A then......er E?"

Grade 5 ? as in musical grade 5 ?

I'm Grade 2 xD and I can play this solo
Quote by Slash_metal
Grade 5 ? as in musical grade 5 ?

I'm Grade 2 xD and I can play this solo

There is something wrong with this statement either: A: you can't actually play the solo; B: you not actually grade 2 or C: You have grade 5-8 technique, but don't have the sight reading skills and general music theory required for grades above 2.

Which is it? (I bet it's C)
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by clonek
This is corey's sweep bit.

T T
|--------------12-17p12----------------12h17-20p17p12----------12h17-20p17p12---------
|-----------13----------13----------13----------------13----13----------------13------
|--------14----------------14----14----------------------14---------------------14----
|-----14----------------------14---------------------------------------------------------
|--15-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The start of corey's solo.

|------------------------------------------------12-14-16----------14-16-17-
|---------------------12-14-15----------12-14-16----------14-15-17----------
|------------12-14-15----------12-14-15-------------------------------------
|---12-13-15----------------------------------------------------------------

--15-17-18----------17-18-20-20b~----
-----------16-17-19------------------

cheers clonek thats exactly what i needed

/thread
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There is something wrong with this statement either: A: you can't actually play the solo; B: you not actually grade 2 or C: You have grade 5-8 technique, but don't have the sight reading skills and general music theory required for grades above 2.

Ooooooh, kitten's got claws!

I agree 100% with what you said though, and it probably is C.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
theory is quite important when writing stuff
ignore those "liek Jimmy Heendrixx didnt know teh theories or anythings leik that dude, i dont need theory to write my riffs, my fave riff is 3 4 65 3 4 7 8 5 3 5 3 2 4 6 6 3 2, thats so hardcore man!"
Quote by meh...
theory is quite important when writing stuff

Actually I disagree, the only thing formalised theory is really good for is communicating your ideas to other people. You do not need theory to write good songs at all. That being said theory can help write good songs, but if you have no good ideas all the theory in the world won't make you a good songwriter.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Lol fair enough

I've only been taking lessons for a year and a half and my teacher wants me to do the grades one at a time -_-

97% pass at grade 2 ftw xD !!