Any suggestions? I'm really looking for a monster tone. something that'll shake the floor. i know a large part of tone comes from the amp but my little yamaha jazz bass wont cut it. Thanks!

Oh, and probably no more than $600-$700 used please.
epiphone has Ripper RI's for $400
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
You really want a Gibson Ripper? Why? Rippers were made as budget/student instruments. For your price point, you can definitely do better than a Ripper or a Ripper clone (and I don't think there are any).

Anyway, isn't the Fender Jazz 24 in that price range? You should check it out, as it's active, and you can get a meaty tone out of it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
You really want a Gibson Ripper? Why? Rippers were made as budget/student instruments. For your price point, you can definitely do better than a Ripper or a Ripper clone (and I don't think there are any).

Anyway, isn't the Fender Jazz 24 in that price range? You should check it out, as it's active, and you can get a meaty tone out of it.

Rippers might have been made as a student bass (along with the G-3, and Grabber), but they are great basses, you'd be surprised how many big name artists use them. They're actually fairly common in punk/rock/pop bands.
Quote by elemenohpee
Rippers might have been made as a student bass (along with the G-3, and Grabber), but they are great basses, you'd be surprised how many big name artists use them. They're actually fairly common in punk/rock/pop bands.

whatever, rippers suck. get a EB0 if your gonna go gibson
Quote by Sly Taco
whatever, rippers suck. get a EB0 if your gonna go gibson

EB-0's are possibly the WORST bass Gibson has ever made. Have you ever played a Gibson Ripper? I'm going to take it as a no.

EB-0's are neck heavy, muddy, and lack any decent control over the tone. The Ripper on the other hand, has a clear tone, with a nice mid-range prominence.

The Ripper is a great bass, where as the EB-0 is so poorly designed it's not even funny.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I tried out a Grabber a while back. It was really fun to play, and that slding pickup is useful too. I've seen some 70's one go for dirt money too.
Quote by elemenohpee
EB-0's are possibly the WORST bass Gibson has ever made. Have you ever played a Gibson Ripper? I'm going to take it as a no.

EB-0's are neck heavy, muddy, and lack any decent control over the tone. The Ripper on the other hand, has a clear tone, with a nice mid-range prominence.

The Ripper is a great bass, where as the EB-0 is so poorly designed it's not even funny.

Actually I have played a ripper and was not impressed at all. Sorry O'master of the Gibson bass.
thanks for all the suggestions, but my goal is not a "jazz bass". i have one and im looking for something quite different in feel and tone.

the epi reissue has gotten nothing but good reviews on MF, but that means nothing. none of them i saw compared the original gibson model to the RI, which is what I would have been most interested in. if i see one around here i'll check it out, but in the meantime are there any other suggestions?

bear in mind that I am in japan.