Hey guys.

I'm buying a Telecaster, to feed my country fever.
Now, buying a Telecaster in Israel isn't easy. It needs to be specially ordered and it takes a very long time to get here.
I had my hopes set on the American Standard Telecaster, but there are none currently in Israel and the importer has no idea when any will arrive. The do[/i[ have an American Vintage ‘52 Telecaster in stock. Now, money isn't an issue, comfort is. The store owner (also a good friend of mine) said that the '52 Tele's neck is more similar to my Les Paul, which means beefy. I was actually looking for something thinner, as a change in direction.

Keep in mind that the chances of me playing either of these guitars before buying them is pretty slim, so that's why I'm asking for advice here. If both guitars were sitting side by side I could easily make the decision by myself.

Bottom line, I was wondering what the main differences are between these guitars, and if the neck size difference is really that dramatical.

Thanks,
Tom
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
The '52 Reissue is my favorite Tele. The deep V neck is much different than the American modern C and more comfortable to me, but it is thicker. The pickup switch works differently as well, but comes with a modern switch and modern bridge. The tones are sweet and pure. Absolutely lovely. Also, Ash Teles > Alder.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks for the insight. I think the neck on the '52 Tele is called a 'U-Shape,' not V. When you say the pickup switch works differently, what do you mean?
If I'm not mistaken the American Standard Tele is ash as well.
If the '52 Tele has more 'twang' and 'country spank' as Johnny Hiland likes to call it, I think I'll be able to live with a neck that's a bit thicker. Your opinions?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
The American Standard is alder, but has an ash version available. The stock pickup switch on the '52 goes:

1-Bridge
2-Neck
3-Neck with max tone control (all the treble cut out)

If you update to the modern switching, it's the normal:

1-Bridge
2-Both
3-Neck

As far as the neck designation, I wasn't sure, but it felt like a deep V to me. But if it's U, it's U. And yeah, it's got lots of twang and sparkle. But if you really want a lot of TWANG, you should try a Rickenbacker.
Hi, I'm Peter
the '52 for sure.

edit: i agree with dirk. if you rly want jangle, and money isnt an issue you should get a rickenbacker 330 or 330/12 (even janglier) and a fender twin reverb or a vox AC30
I would go with the '52. It looks so nice, plus I love the old school bridge.

Just a question, what is the 4 way telecaster switch??
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Thanks a lot for the help guys. As I said, living in Israel really limits my options. They don't sell Rickenbackers here anymore, so that's out of the question.
I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get the '52. I was really in love with the American Standard's 3-tone sunburst, although the 52's blonde finish is quite nice as well.

Again, thanks!
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
i personally am getting the American Vintage ‘52 Telecaster i have played it many times becuase there are 4 guitar shops just down the road from my house and fell in love with it. Plus Bob Dylan played the '52 telecaster
I hear y'all, I'm just a little bit worried that the neck will be too thick for me. I mean, the neck on my Les Paul Studio is fine, for a Les Paul. I just don't know how a thick neck on a Tele will work out for me. Anybody played both a Les Paul Studio and the '52 Tele and can compare them?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Bump :\
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
still worried about the u shape neck?

i was recently worried about the u shape, having never played one, i went into the shop and tried a tele, with the u shape neck.

baring in mind im 17, and my hands are TINY, i absolutley loved the neck, it was a dream to play. fills the palm of your hand nicely, without being clubby. will be even better for you if you have big hands. this u shape neck is now my favourite
Really? Well, I'm 22 and my hands are pretty average, so maybe it won't be so bad after all. I found a store that has the guitar in stock, so I'm gonna go try out it on Sunday. I'll post experiences later
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator