What is the effect if you put 500k pots in combination with single coil pickups instead of the traditional 250k pots.

I ask because I just realised that I accidentaly orderd 500k instead of 250k pots for my Telecaster, (Seymour Duncan Vintage Hot Pickups)
An even brighter sound! It should be ear piercingly bright, don't ask me though I've never actually done it.

It is possible to trim your pots down to 250k though, using resistors I think. I'm not a 100% sure, do a google search.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
If you attach a 511K resistor between the two outside lugs of the pot, it'll give you about 250K.

Yes, I did just grab a calculator and figure that out.
it's just going to be a little brighter, there shouldn't be any problems with it, some people put 500k with single coils because they like the added brightness. The only difference between 250k and 500k is with 250k pots more of the high end is lost because it bleeds to earth. Its going to sound somewhere between having clicked no-load pots (no loss of high end) and 250k pots, it's not going to sound bad though unless you don't want especially bright tone, but then, thats what the tone pot is for.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I think it also sounds a little harsher. Just don't throw away your old pots incase you change your mind.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
You know what's bright? Maple with single coils and 1meg pots.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
OKe so if I want to get my 500k pots down to 250k IF I think it's to bright how do I do it ? I generally like my sound warm and not too bright so...... Probably have to do something about it. Keep in mind this is my first project.
Quote by GNR's Fan
OKe so if I want to get my 500k pots down to 250k IF I think it's to bright how do I do it ? I generally like my sound warm and not too bright so...... Probably have to do something about it. Keep in mind this is my first project.
Just go to the store and buy 250's. They are $5 US at most.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I've got 500's in one of my Tele's - no big deal - I've found at least one Fender schematic with 500's in, which is why I tried it.

IMO Tele's sound better with 500's in.
Learn to fingerpick, should make up for the brightness.

Or, just put them in and see if you like it. If you don't, add those resistors or get new pots.
I had 500k pots in my strat squier (with s-s-s) as a standart.
I believe the sound is identical when they're both set to full/10 and the difference comes when you tweak them - so if you usually keep 'em at "full" then there won't be any difference.

...but don't quote me.
Quote by GNR's Fan
Read post #3. It's not rocket science either. You could use 470k resistors in parallel with the pots, if you wanted. If that isn't warm enough, go even lower. Resistors are dirt cheap.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.