I was playing this song, and I noticed that I don't sound anything like Slash does on the recording. Does anyone know what he uses on that song to get his sound? Mainly just for the main riff and the solos.
Member of the Geddy Lee Fanclub. He pwns you ALL!

Member #24 of the FFVII fan club

STICK IT TO THE MAN
Neck pickup to start with.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
he turn's his tone knob down.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
haaah

Marshall JCM800 Silver Jubilee
Les Paul
Seymour Duncan Alcino II pickups

and Slash's fingers and skills.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Or you can pretend to be him with your tone knob down. Try these settings from the Ultimate Settings thread:

Slash of Guns N' Roses
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8

However, Yngwi3 is right
Yeah, let all of the highs get cut off and once the solo starts kicking in, roll your tone knob back up.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah, no one plays quite like Slash...
Member of the Geddy Lee Fanclub. He pwns you ALL!

Member #24 of the FFVII fan club

STICK IT TO THE MAN
slash used that LP copy of his in appetite, and a marshall (modded?) which he did not own. i dont think silver jubs were released during the time of appetite.
^A modded jcm 800...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I use the neck pickup, and the settings from the ultimate settings thread, and have my tone knobs rolled all the way down, and then I roll the tone knob up at the solo, and then switch to the bridge p'up for the second half of the solo
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
is it tuned a half step down?
I'm pretty sure that "mod" they are referring to are the kt88 output tubes, which would give the amp an extra 100 watts. He also used the Marshall jubilee 2555. He also used a M.X.R.10 Band E.Q, Dunlop Rackmount Wah Wah system, a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, and a Heil Talkbox.
actually, i dont think he used a rack wah on the actual recording. i think i heard that in an interview. but yeah, to threadstarter, tune to e flat,neck pickup,tone knob rolled down, and use a wah.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

not to hijack the threat, but I just kinda remembered this, and was just curious, does slash bar the 12th fret in the beginning part?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
^no. he doesn't in the video at least. he grabs his neck in an angle like the "blues style" or some hand position when he plays.

and for the thread, he used a Les Paul copy with a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II pickup set, with a SIR studio Marshall JCM800 (he doesn't know if they were modded or not, but wants it.) that he tried to steal after the recording, but his idiot roadie took them back. not too sure bout the wah, but should be an 80's Crybaby original. i don't think he was too "techy" when he recorded Appetite.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^^ I don't know exactly, but I just play the single notes. Shouldn't make much of a difference. Didn't really answer your question I guess, but I'm just saying what my preference is. Watch some videos and look at his fingerings.
Ben
e flat tuning is a half step down, correct? and arent most GNR songs tuned to e flat?
^yes. if not, all of them were tuned down 1/2 step. that's how slash tunes his guitar.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
if i remember correctly, it wasnt a jcm 800 it was a handwired 1959t super tremolo rented from sir called the stock 39 i think. i remember it didnt have a master volume and it had been modded by tim caswell who added another preamp stage or something like that. caswqeel now has his own line of amps and offers the same mod he did to that marshall i think
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
not to hijack the threat, but I just kinda remembered this, and was just curious, does slash bar the 12th fret in the beginning part?

He fingers each individual note and only uses his first three fingers.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
He used a modded JCM800 - with an added Vibrato channel. He used the Vibrato channel, but with the vibrato turned off, essentially giving him the regular tone but with an extra gain stage. Afaik he also used a '58/'59 LP, with PAFs, tuned to E Flat.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Yngwi3
haaah

Seymour Duncan Alcino II pickups

and Slash's fingers and skills.

Not alnico II's at that time I dont think and he used a MAX 59 Les Paul copy that belonged to the producer that Slash bought from him afterwards.
lol this thread's like... 5 months old?

who resurrected it!!!?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ wow, that slashfan guy.

I never look at the dates, haha.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by slashfan31
if i remember correctly, it wasnt a jcm 800 it was a handwired 1959t super tremolo rented from sir called the stock 39 i think. i remember it didnt have a master volume and it had been modded by tim caswell who added another preamp stage or something like that. caswqeel now has his own line of amps and offers the same mod he did to that marshall i think

Correct.

check out tim caswell's site
^^yea, i think the vibrato circuit was removed to add another preamp stage for more gain.
Member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Group