Page 1 of 617
flying_phoenix
Profit of Doom
934 IQ
HOw many UGers are MMA fans/practitioners? I've been a fan for a while now, and love all of it, though I don't actually train (thinking about starting though). I'm going to a BJ Penn fan signing Sunday, should be some fun, pretty exciting. To those who are fans of the sport, who are your favourite fighters?

Oh, and if you don't like MMA, and feel the need to tell us all, at least explain, and don't bash. Also, we all know the ground game looks kinda gay to the uneducated viewer. Please refrain from elaborating upon that.

My fav. fighters:
Anderson Silva
Andrei Arlovski
BJ Penn
Kazushi Sakuraba
Fedor (amazing)
GSP

Anyone Else looking forward to Gonzaga/ Couture this month? I got my money on Gonzaga taking it, even though I like Randy.
MightyAl
Banned
121 IQ
I have no idea what MMA is, but I'm assuming it's violent, thus I could get it for free by walking into the Saracen's Head wearing a t-shirt that says "Celtic are sh*te" on the front and "the Pope shags small boys" on the back.
sparkysmith
UGs amateur gynaecologist
194 IQ
i love watching MMA, although the lack of sky means i can't really watch it. i rely on the internet. and my favourites are chuck liddell and rampage jackson
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
lbc_sublime
UG's black reaper
858 IQ
look i am also from ontario i don't know if place has anything to do with this is a canadian thing. is it wrestling like cause that is pretty g ay but what are you trying to say is cool?
song stuck in my head today

flying_phoenix
Profit of Doom
934 IQ
^ Mixed Martial Arts. Organizations like Ultimate Fighting Championship, Pride FC, International Fight League and the like. I guess MMA isnt a well known term.
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Last edited by The Virtuoso at Jul 26, 2007,
MightyAl
Banned
121 IQ
Ah. i wouldn't get much martial arts there, then. Just malkied and glassed/bottled.
The Novice
*witty user title*
209 IQ
Yeah, I don't like it cause.. well, I find it pretty boring. There's nothing greater than a good ole barfight. Fights with rules and the likes of it, seems pretty odd to me.
Inno_a_Satana
UG's Monty Python Fanboy
542 IQ
i'm a huge MMA fan, and have been for some time. i've also trained and competed brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo, boxing, and wrestling for some time now, and i'm planning on making my mma debut september 15th. some of my favorite fighters are:
bj penn
takanori gomi
shinya aoki
noguera
fedor
"shogun" rua
hello
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
^good luck man .
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Inno_a_Satana
UG's Monty Python Fanboy
542 IQ
Quote by The Virtuoso
^good luck man .

thank you. and for all those who care, this is the organization that i'm going to be fighting in http://www.warriorfc.com/. i'll be fighting at 145 lbs. my school has a title holder at 135, and top 5 contenders at 145, 155, 170, 205, and 265
hello
Child Of Maiden
The Reverend
298 IQ
I was just about to make an MMA thread. But I decided to get my search on first. I'm a huge MMA fan. (just check the avatar haha)

I actually have a fight coming up in December.

My favorite practitioners... damn there's quite a few haha.

Fedor Emelianenko (of course)
Tomasz Drwal
Wanderlei, Shogun, Thiago Silva (pretty much all of the Chute Boxe camp)
The Nogueira brothers
Anderson Silva
Arlovksi (even though he hasn't really been on top of his game lately)
Cro Cop
Mark Hunt
Kazushi Sakuraba
Ikuhisa Minowa (always puts on a good show lol)
Sukodjou
Shinya Aoki
Ryo Chonan
Josh Barnett
Dan Henderson
Paulo Fihlo
Uriah Faber
Cung Lee

Man I can go on and on. I'm pretty much a Pride nut hugger though sorry. I like all MMA which includes UFC, WEC, K-1, SHOOTO, BODOG, M-1, EliteXC, Cage Rage. But Pride was the best of the best IMO. I can't help but feel that a lot of the UFC "elite" were and still are very overrated. But with Zuffa's acquisition of Pride I guess we'll get to see some great match ups pretty soon.

Who else thinks UFC 75 is going to be freakin' kick ass? Rampage vs. Henderson and Cro Cop vs. Kongo both on a free card! I'm exited for that one. And 76 should be pretty good to with Shogun vs. Griffin. But I'm not very happy with how they're pretty much serving up Liddell a can that is Jardine. They're trying to put him back in the title fight too soon. What does everyone else think?
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Cadj
piss off and die ghostman
231 IQ
I've never really watched any MMA yet but i've heard i really should

Just curious after being a wrestling fan, Brock Lesnar done this for a while correct?
Child Of Maiden
The Reverend
298 IQ
Lesnar has only 1 MMA fight under his belt as of now with K-1 Hero's. It was a pretty impressive fight on his part despite the fact that the guy he fought (Min Soo Kim I think) was a bit of a can. His record is something like 2-6-0. But it was a win nevertheless and that's good for coming off of pro wrestling. But from what I understand Lesnar did some wrestling in college so that will probably help him if he continues. And if he continues at a solid rate I'd probably give him about 3 years before he can go up against the big names.

But as of right now I don't think he has the striking ability to go heads up with some bigger names. He's a beast of a guy though. He needs to lose a little bit of his upper body size so he can be a little more mobile and get some good training and he'll make a name for himself in MMA. But from what I understand he was only on a one fight contract with K-1 Hero's so he probably just wanted to try it and we'll see where it goes from there.
No one knows what it's like... to be a dustbin... in Shaftesbury... with hooligans...
Cadj
piss off and die ghostman
231 IQ
Ah cool, thanks for clearing that up

He did do college wrestling and was an NCAA champ twice i think

He's in Japan wrestling right now so he might get better at his striking ability, you never know.
rock_and_blues
Banned
892 IQ
i do brazilian jiu-jitsu, judo, muay thai, and wrestling..and i love it, such a great way to get out aggression
Cacophonic
Your Arch Enemy
179 IQ
I love MMA. Such fun to watch. I prefer Pride FC over UFC. Probably not now though, considering all of the good fighters are leaving Pride for UFC/other organizations. Also the rule unification is retarded. Soccer kicks and stomps made Pride FC. So fun to watch Wanderlei Silva kicking someone's face in. Or Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, for that matter.

I hate a lot of the popular fighters i.e. Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, Tim Sylvia.

America's top MMA fighters are really arrogant, and it's quite annoying. Which is another thing I liked about Pride. Pretty much everyone was respectful of one another. Especially the man, Fedor Emelianenko.

My favorite fighters are:

Fedor Emelianenko
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Dan Henderson
Wanderlei Silva
Takanori Gomi

Another thing I'd like to point out, is that 2007 is the year of upsets.

I never seen Wanderlei losing, or Takanori Gomi. Forrest/Shogun also depressed me like mad.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us."
Osiris77
Six String Assassin
2,916 IQ
I'm a fan but I don't train or anything, I'm not really into fighting other than watching of course I took a year of Tae-Kwon-Do and didnt really like it. I'm more into wrestling as far as actually participating I never really trained with it but I've picked up so stuff from friends on their school wrestling teams. I've been trying to find somewhere to take ju-jitsui(not sure how its spelled) but couldnt seem to find anywhere I need to get in shape as far as cardio goes.
My Favorite fighter would have to be Randy Courture that guys unstopable he's 43 years old and probably the best heavyweight out there. I know what you mean with the whole ground game looking wrong too. I was watching UFC with my girlfriend and she was crackin up when they started wrestling. The announcers like this is his favorite position, he loves it when they try that and stuff, it was pretty funny.
krims0n
[K!]
38 IQ
Quote by Cacophonic
I love MMA. Such fun to watch. I prefer Pride FC over UFC. Probably not now though, considering all of the good fighters are leaving Pride for UFC/other organizations. Also the rule unification is retarded. Soccer kicks and stomps made Pride FC. So fun to watch Wanderlei Silva kicking someone's face in. Or Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, for that matter.

I believe PrideFC is basically dead as it was bought out by the UFC. Hence the fighters slowly trickling into the octagon. Too bad because the kicking rule was awesome, but at least it will lead to a more diverse UFC.

I believe Fedor will be signing with the UFC soon and fighting Couture to unify the belts but that's rumor at this point. (albeit rumor from the mouth of Dana White).
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Osiris77
Six String Assassin
2,916 IQ
Quote by krims0n
I believe PrideFC is basically dead as it was bought out by the UFC. Hence the fighters slowly trickling into the octagon. Too bad because the kicking rule was awesome, but at least it will lead to a more diverse UFC.

I believe Fedor will be signing with the UFC soon and fighting Couture to unify the belts but that's rumor at this point. (albeit rumor from the mouth of Dana White).

Couture vs. Fedor sounds like a great fight I can't wait to see that.
Osiris77
Six String Assassin
2,916 IQ
Quote by Cadj
I've never really watched any MMA yet but i've heard i really should

Just curious after being a wrestling fan, Brock Lesnar done this for a while correct?

Yeah, right now he's only had one fight in K-1 which he won. But shortly after he talked to Dana White(UFC President) and he should be on the roster in 2008. So we'll see how he fares he's definetely strong and a great wrestle he had a college wrestling record or 105-6 but I just don't know if he can stand up strike.....
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
I love MMA. I've been doing BJJ for the last few years off and on. As far as the Pride v. UFC thing, I think the UFC is showing that Pride wasn't nearly as good as people thought (Rua losing to a "nobody," Cro-Cop losing 2 consecutive fights, one to a guy considered one of the weakest UFC heavyweights, Heath Herring getting owned in his debut fight, etc.), and now there are a lot of allegations being flung about that Pride fixed fights, or did things that would come as close to fixing without actually determining the winner before the fight -- making fighters fight injured, allowing substances banned in the US, etc.

As for soccer kicks, one of the reasons they're not allowed in the UFC is that they're almost impossible to defend against if you're against the cage. Also, I don't watch MMA because of the mindless brutality. I watch it to appreciate the skill of the fighters and the quality of the contest. Allowing a standing guy to kick to the head of the downed opponent is just brutal.
Hi, I'm Peter
Cacophonic
Your Arch Enemy
179 IQ
Quote by Dirk Gently
I love MMA. I've been doing BJJ for the last few years off and on. As far as the Pride v. UFC thing, I think the UFC is showing that Pride wasn't nearly as good as people thought (Rua losing to a "nobody," Cro-Cop losing 2 consecutive fights, one to a guy considered one of the weakest UFC heavyweights, Heath Herring getting owned in his debut fight, etc.), and now there are a lot of allegations being flung about that Pride fixed fights, or did things that would come as close to fixing without actually determining the winner before the fight -- making fighters fight injured, allowing substances banned in the US, etc.

As for soccer kicks, one of the reasons they're not allowed in the UFC is that they're almost impossible to defend against if you're against the cage. Also, I don't watch MMA because of the mindless brutality. I watch it to appreciate the skill of the fighters and the quality of the contest. Allowing a standing guy to kick to the head of the downed opponent is just brutal.

You kinda just sound like a biased UFC fan.
The referees in Pride were outstanding.
They wouldn't allow a fighter to be harmed from the kicks to the head.
Of course, by saying you appreciate the skill, you most likely either, A. Aren't American, or B. You're telling the truth.

Herring always has sucked. He lost it after Fedor beat his face in. Cro-Cop couldn't use steroids in the UFC, thus why he failed. And Rua was a huge disappointment. Even though, Renato Sobral choked him out pre-PrideFC.

I think they should have the fighters decide on whether they should allow the kicks and knees to the head. Especially when they're in Japan.

Also, tbh, I hate the Fertitti brothers.
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us."
Cacophonic
Your Arch Enemy
179 IQ
Oh, and also..

Fedor is fighting in Bodog again.
Dirk Gently
Exorcising my angels
1,234 IQ
Quote by Cacophonic
The referees in Pride were outstanding.

I'm not a biased UFC fan at all. I used to think that Pride was so much better than the UFC in most weight classes and the usual mythology. But when Pride guys come to the UFC and aren't nearly as dominant against guys who are UFC no-names or contenders rather than champions and they don't have that great a record, it makes you question the true quality of the fights they were getting in Japan.
Of course, by saying you appreciate the skill, you most likely either, A. Aren't American, or B. You're telling the truth.

Well, I'm an American and a practitioner of the sport. One of the reasons I chose Gracie Jiu Jitsu as opposed to a more striking-oriented style is because I love the technique.
Herring always has sucked. He lost it after Fedor beat his face in. Cro-Cop couldn't use steroids in the UFC, thus why he failed. And Rua was a huge disappointment. Even though, Renato Sobral choked him out pre-PrideFC.

I think they should have the fighters decide on whether they should allow the kicks and knees to the head. Especially when they're in Japan.

Also, tbh, I hate the Fertitti brothers.

Interesting that you bring up Babalu. He's been terribly mediocre in the UFC.

Also, Fedor hasn't signed anything long-term with Bodog. He's still a free agent.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 4, 2007,
musicianamedave
UG's Hidden Track
293 IQ
MMA's pretty cool, but I think it would be a lot better if they either

A: went 100% bare-knuckle
or
B: changed those thick-ass gloves into something that have much less give.

mainly because my fighting style relies more on strong quick punches (with emphasis on Taijutsu-style punches in which knuckle contact+torsion is of utmost importance) in combination with deflection/locks.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
krims0n
[K!]
38 IQ
Quote by musicianamedave
MMA's pretty cool, but I think it would be a lot better if they either

A: went 100% bare-knuckle
or
B: changed those thick-ass gloves into something that have much less give.

mainly because my fighting style relies more on strong quick punches (with emphasis on Taijutsu-style punches in which knuckle contact+torsion is of utmost importance) in combination with deflection/locks.

They went bare knuckled in the early days but everyone was breaking their hands. The gloves are their so they can punch harder and fight again 2 month's later. Really the gloves are more of a detriment to the jiu-jitsu fighters then the strikers because it makes rear naked chokes much harder.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
im_hungry
UG Board King
820 IQ
Pride didn't test for steroids , thats why most of their fighters are losing in the UFC.

Also i prefer the cage to the ring.
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster
1,451 IQ
so, eh... anybody else get to see anderson silva knock rich franklin into bolivian?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Neon Knight
727 IQ
I'm an MMA fanatic

my favorite fighters are

Heavyweight

FEDOR!!!! Did anyone here see his new years eve fight? It was pretty entertaining. However I think Fedor has failed to fight any good fighters as of late, M-1 needs to sign Randy and make the fight happen.
Randy Couture
Cro Cop: He's been off his game as of late

Light Heavyweight

Its a tie between Shogun and Wandy for fav
Rampage comes in second

Middleweight:

Anderson Silva

Welterweight

GSP

Lightweight

BJ Penn
Spencer Fisher
Krazy Horse
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by BigFatSandwich
^krazy Horse?!

Thats right, Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster
1,451 IQ
Quote by Neon Knight
Thats right, Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett

haha no, I know exactly who he is.

I'm just curious as to why he's one of your favorites. he sucks, imo. and nine times out of ten, he's just not funny... which is what he tries so hard to do.

(and I mean that in the friendliest way possible. not trying to start any real arguments... it's good to see another mma fan on UG)
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
sinisa
UG's Serbo-Croat
117 IQ
I was a big fan of Pride. I didn't care about the 'roid use (christ look at early days crocop compared to his Pride days - he gained at least 15kg hard muscle). Good, vicious fighting on par at least with Vale Tudo but commercial enough to be ready viable to watch through the interwebs.

UFC is too.... american i'm sorry, but it just has less forceful contact than Pride. In a typical fight it's some striker vs. a former wrestler and after 30 seconds of circling the wrestler takes the other guy to ground and they manhandle each other until the time runs out or the ref breaks them up. i'm sorry, but it's BORING. I just don't like wrestling. I tried it for a while (under 63kg Auckland Novice Champion oh yea) but it was just boring. It manages to be more sissy than jiu-jitsu or judo but 50 times more homo-erotic.

Also, i generally don't like UFC fighters. Not just that they're dominantly ground fighters (which i don't like as much as fighting standing up) but they're cocky motheruckers. Always trash talking on the promos, big egos. I just can't relate to, or stand, any of that.

/rant

Favourite fighters:
Crocop (lives in my hometown - Zagreb :p)
Wanderlei Silva
Antoinio Rodrigo Nougeira (Minotaur) - seriously that fight against Bob Sapp. Seriously.
Ernesto Hoost
Carlos Newton
Jerome LeBanner
Mark Kerr

Not so much a fan of watching Fedor but i still respect his all-round ability and spirit.

My 2c.
Quote by bassplayer33333
Sinisa Rules all.

Quote by zbest
That is part of the reason that the mafia does so much drug trafficing, its so they wont die of hunger because they dont have anything.
Esp_kill07
UG's Indie Christian
250 IQ
hmm fav fighters

Randy Couture and Fedor both are 1# for me in the heavyweight div
man It would be awesome if they got a fight between them

GSP is cool because that guy is humble win or lose.

Roger Huerta - Because im mexican and he always gives an exciting fight check out his last fight with clay guida. viva mexico!
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
Civeta Dei0
Civeta
23 IQ
I've been doing MMA for about the last 3 months now and nothing works your body out any better then the sort of training you go through. My favorite fighter is Chuck Liddel though, hands down. Tito Ortiz and Keith Jardone are the other two fighters I like alot.
faqu
Potato Chips rule!
1,948 IQ
Anyone seen UFC 79?

boy, Do Pride fighters just can't catch a break or what?

That Clamenty vs Gillard fight was hilarious! all that grudge between them just made it more intresting.
sinisa, as far as the cocky, and trash talking thing, it's all good publicity. it sells the product more. if you notice, at the press confrence they're in each other's face, and ready to go, but after the fight, they hug. it's just the way it is, and it's good buisness.
I heard that sometimes Dana even tells them to do so, because it selle better.

Soko is another guy I expected big things from. Machida pretty much destroyed him.
It just goes to show you that he's nothing without his fists. when they were on the ground, he had NO freaking clue what to do. he was just lying there, doing nothing. it was sort of sad. btw, I'm expecting great things from Machida. this will be his year. he will become one of the top fighters, and the new poster boy for the company.

Silva vs Liddel was awesome. Liddel looked very tired, but he still destroyed Silva. at times it looked like Silva didnt know where he was, he just threw punches in the air. it was a good fight.

GSP vs Hughes was entertaining. GSP is great.
I think I'm gonna skip UFC 80, and watch UFC 81. looking forward to the return of Frank Mir vs Brock Lesnar. can't wait to see what Brock brings to the table. he's a great wrestler.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Civeta Dei0
Civeta
23 IQ
I was suprised to see that Pierres beat Hughes. I've watched the whole season of the ultimate fighter 3 with matt hughes in it and he looked like an unstoppable force, the guy has been doing MMA for less then 3 years and he still seems to improve everyday. I'm not suprised to Liddel beat Silva. Liddel is the man. I'm likewise very excited to see Lesnar compete in the MMA. I was a fan of his when he did WWE wrestling, and he's an all american wrestler which makes him an even better fighter.