ooooh such a hard choice
i have heard both but not played on either of them because i have never even seen them in a shop
i dont know what one may have over the other but i want to know which the wise members of the UG community think is best
I say the DL4, more versatile.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It's really all preference. I'm not a fan of digital, though.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
The Memory Man sounds better. But the DL4 has more options (it still sounds good though).

So you've got to ask yourself, are you going to use all the different delays on the DL4?

If not, get the Memory Man.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jul 26, 2007,
+1

I'd choose the DMM.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
i really dont know what features i would or wouldnt use.
im just doing some research into what features they both have.
ive also found the boss dd-20, does that compete with these two?
Quote by littlemurph7976
i really dont know what features i would or wouldnt use.
im just doing some research into what features they both have.
ive also found the boss dd-20, does that compete with these two?

No. The DL4 and DMM are both way better.

Basically, the DMM has analogue delay, chorus and vibrato, and does all three extremely well.

The DL4 has lots of options (stereo ping-pong, reverse delay, modulated, the list goes on), but the quality of the delay suffers for it.

It's a kind of quality or quantity thing. Although the DL4 is still a very very good delay.

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Jul 26, 2007,
line6 dl4:
+a whole ton of features, really lots, enough to have fun for day messing around with them
+true bypass
-if you look at some reviews, there are some reliability issues
-needs specific power supply

memory man:
++sweet sweet analog delay, and the modulation you can add to the delay time is cool too (those the line6 and boss also have a mode with this)
-friggin huge
-not so big on the various more fancy features the modern ones have, only 550ms of delay time
-no tap tempo

boss dd20
+more delay time than the line6 one, handy if you're into the looping stuff
+cheaper than the line6, works of standard 9vdc, no issues with reliability
-slightly less features than the line6, though still enough to do almost everything you could think of with delay
No. The DL4 and DMM are both way better.

that makes me unsure of the dd-20

line6 dl4:
+a whole ton of features, really lots, enough to have fun for day messing around with them
+true bypass
-if you look at some reviews, there are some reliability issues
-needs specific power supply

memory man:
++sweet sweet analog delay, and the modulation you can add to the delay time is cool too (those the line6 and boss also have a mode with this)
-friggin huge
-not so big on the various more fancy features the modern ones have, only 550ms of delay time
-no tap tempo

boss dd20
+more delay time than the line6 one, handy if you're into the looping stuff
+cheaper than the line6, works of standard 9vdc, no issues with reliability
-slightly less features than the line6, though still enough to do almost everything you could think of with delay

that makes the dd-20 sound like what im after

im confused

ive watched a gearwire video about the dmm and it sounds good yh, a high quality delay sound, but i think im wanting a wide range of delays so probably the dd-20 or dl4 would suit me best.

seljer also said the dl4 suffers reliability problems which i have heard elsewhere aswell so im not so sure on the dl4 anymore. ive also heard that the dd-20 is alot more user friendly and from seljer says it has pretty much the same features as the dl4 anyway.

im still incredibly confused lol
Quote by littlemurph7976
that makes me unsure of the dd-20

that makes the dd-20 sound like what im after

im confused

ive watched a gearwire video about the dmm and it sounds good yh, a high quality delay sound, but i think im wanting a wide range of delays so probably the dd-20 or dl4 would suit me best.

seljer also said the dl4 suffers reliability problems which i have heard elsewhere aswell so im not so sure on the dl4 anymore. ive also heard that the dd-20 is alot more user friendly and from seljer says it has pretty much the same features as the dl4 anyway.

im still incredibly confused lol

I say go for the DL4, then. The Boss delays sound very digital, whilst the DL4 sounds less so. It's also less confusing than the Boss.

I'm sure the reliability issues will be a minority issue, but it should come with a warranty just in case it does go wrong.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I say go for the DL4, then. The Boss delays sound very digital, whilst the DL4 sounds less so. It's also less confusing than the Boss.

I'm sure the reliability issues will be a minority issue, but it should come with a warranty just in case it does go wrong.

while the DD6 and such are pretty clear and digital, the DD20 does have an "analog delay" mode (probably take the high end out of the repeats which gives a pretty good approximation of the sound of an analog delay) as well as a "tape delay" mode
I'm hopefully going to my local shops this weekend so I'll see if they have any in.

I'm more leaning towards the DL4 now because I have put both pedal's feature's side by side and the line 6 has more, and as timi_hendrix stated, I do have warranty so I can take it back if it busts up.

I suppose the only way to tell would be to try them out as usual

I'll probably go for the line 6 just for the huge amount of features it has. Thnks for your help fellas
if you dont need a looper, check out the echo park, also by line 6. its 150$ and has a lot of different delays and tap tempo. It gives you the option to have either tape/digital/analog 'sounding' delays on all of the 9(?) choices. It may not be what your looking for, but its worth looking into.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
I would strongly suggest against the echo park, its a bad pedal imo. It was noisy, cut through my tone, and i had problems getting the delay to be heard with my amp..meaning the guitar would overpower the delay, and as much as i adjusted the mix control, it still didn't help. Also the pedal itself is cheap and doesn't seem reliable, and the damn battery compartment is a bitch to get open. The DL4 is sooo much better and is only a 100 dollars more than the echo park. The fact that its true bypass, yum, i turn off the pedal, and it's the same tone i get as if i were to just plug my guitar right into my amp.
^ o_O

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
If you want versitility and lots of sounds, DL4.
If you want sheer rip-your-face-off-great-and-partially-crazy, DMM.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
DL-4 kicks major anus. I don't really understand why people talk about reliability issues. It's perfect, working 100% for 2 years.
Gear
Good Guitars
Good Pedals
Good Amps

That is all.
Quote by feedthenight
DMM = muddy tone heaven, murkiest piece of **** I've ever played. No thanks.

Were you by any chance playing a quality street tin glued to a 2x4 with rubber bands attached through a cardboard box?

At Glastonbury?

My Music