..a 1977 Music Man Stingray sell for? I have one, but I barely play bass. I don't know much about bass guitars and how much they go for..

The bass was handed down to me. If I didn't need new guitar gear (my gear I have now sucks..), I wouldn't wanna sell it, because it's sort of an heirloom..

But how much would it go for?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm assuming that it plays like new.. There are a few dents in it and a whole bunch of thin black marks.. The humbucker is rusted.

Edit2: I'll take some pictures and post 'em here in a few minutes.
Last edited by EnvironMetal at Jul 26, 2007,
If it got all (Or most) of the original pieces, then you're now a rich man.

Check Ebay.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Don't sell it if it's handed down and it plays well.
Just find a **** job and get some money otherwise you'll sell it and probably regret it.
But I rarely play bass.

And I'm thirteen..nobody's gonna hire me. Believe me, if I could get a job, that'd be my first choice.. But all I have right now guitarwise is a generic guitar, a decent practice amp, and a pedal..I need some new gear.
If that bass has any sort of sentimental value, I'd keep it. If you really want to get rid of it, I guess you could just ship it to me
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Sentimental? Not really... It was handed down from my dad's abusive father to my dad (actually he had to buy it from him)..and then my dad handed it down to me.

And..hahah..maybe for a nice amount of cash.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Anytime. You're a lucky kid to have a bass like that. I'd keep it if I were you, in all seriousness. Maybe try playing it more often, because with a bass like that you'll sound amazing (providing that you have a nice amp). Who knows, you may be a bassist on the inside and not know it yet *run AWAY from the dark side!*

Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Yeah..I know I'm lucky to have it. And actually, I used to want to be a bassist..but it kinda faded away after playing for a while. Well, I didn't and still don't completely have my heart set on selling it..It's a just a thought, and I was also just curious about how much it'd go for if I made that decision. If I do decide, I'm still gonna wait a while to make sure I feel right about it.. As much as I wanna sell it, it still rocks!
Yep, that thing would be nice. Do you have any pictures of it or anything? If you don't, could you give us the color, fretboard wood, etc? Thanks! I'm just curious now.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

my book says-
Musicman basses, 1972 to present.
Stingray Bass-
1976- present. Offset double cutaway solidbody, one pick-up, three-and-one tuners, string-through until '80. various colors.
1976 - 1979, $1,600 - $2,200(usd)

prices listed are for low, to high, excellent condition.
Quote by EnvironMetal
Yeah..I know I'm lucky to have it. And actually, I used to want to be a bassist..but it kinda faded away after playing for a while. Well, I didn't and still don't completely have my heart set on selling it..It's a just a thought, and I was also just curious about how much it'd go for if I made that decision. If I do decide, I'm still gonna wait a while to make sure I feel right about it.. As much as I wanna sell it, it still rocks!

i bet your dad would be insulted if you sold it. my dad bought me a specail 2 5 years ago and i would never get rid of it i am going to upgrade it just cause it was my father that gave it to meyou know thwere are things in life you just don't need to sell. just be patient your only 13 you will get better equipement in the future.
song stuck in my head today

Your41Plague12: Yeah, man..I'll take some pictures soon.
83lespaulstudio: ****..Thanks!
lbc sublime: I'd never sell it without his permission.. And yeah I know I'll get better gear..but I can't get a job right now and even for Christmas I can't get the guitar I want.. Believe me, I'm not some spoiled brat, and I believe in having to work for what you want, but I just want a head start.
Pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays can go for quite a bit. I've heard that quality control wasn't the greatest in those days though. The rusted pickup is the only thing that I think would make it go down in price. I'd just keep it in their though because it's original and if it isn't hurting it then it's purely a cosmetic issue. Make sure that the rust isn't messing with the tone though.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Your inner bassist is telling you to keep it, and make it rock
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

aixelsydevahi: Well I don't know much about basses..but the tone still sounds great to me.
Your41Plague12: Yeahh, I know you want me to keep it, and I'm considering it, believe me. I'm not sure though. Oh, and I'm looking for my camera still so I can get you those pictures of it.
just a thought. it's way more fun to own a $1,500 bass, than to say, i use to own one. that price should increase every year. if you wait till your musically ready, it could buy a really nice rig. be patient.

Edit: it could turn into your first, Gibson LP / Marshall rig.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Jul 26, 2007,
Haha, that's true.. I'm not a bassist though.. I will wait a while though, and if I end up becoming a bassist, I'll thank you all for wanting me to keep it. If not, well, thanks for your help anyway!

Edit: Ok Your41Plague12..I still can't find my camera (but if this thread is still somehow alive later I'll post them when I do find it...or I'll PM them to you if you'd like)..but here's what you wanna know: It's white with a black pickguard and a maple neck. If you wanna know anything else about it, just ask.
Quote by aixelsydevahi
Pre-Ernie Ball Stingrays can go for quite a bit. I've heard that quality control wasn't the greatest in those days though.

Yeah, the QC wasn't the greatest and duds were apparently notorious during the early 80's. But to be honest, lot of collectors go for originality rather than playability.

I've seen pre-EB SRs go from anything between £950-£2000 (of course depending on condition and originality). This roughly would equate to the same numbers in US$ (Before anyone starts I know that $2=£1, but prices in UK are hugely inflated!).

So yeah, you should expect a bit of cash your way. If ou do sell, just be patient. I know one guy selling his at a ridiculous £850 and ended up on eBay and getting over twice that. From what I've noticed in the market for pre-EBs this year in the UK at least, is that demand for them is never constant but seems to sporadically become insatiable from time to time. It might be worth the money to get it professionally valued and autheniticated by a respected vintage dealer. A bit of money, but those certificates help buyer confidence and can add value.

Good luck mate. You are really lucky. If it was me, I would keep it. Its value will increase over time and it would be a nice family heirloom.
I didn't even think of getting it valued and authenticated..that's a good idea. And believe me, if I played bass more and/or didn't have such ****ty guitar gear, I'd definitely keep it.

Thank you, your post helped a lot.
I'll give you 10$ for it. Paypal?
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
There's also the Ernie Ball forums. They'll probably be able to provide a bit more information as to it's worth and whatnot since I'm sure a few of them have pre-EB basses.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Don't listen to any of these people . $20 max, but since I'm a nice guy and this has sentimental value toward you, I'll pay $50(shipped).

<_<

>_>