in general, what is tone? and not just for guitar, for any wind instruments too (saxaphone, trombone, etc). I always thought it was how you play a song (dynamics, staccatos, lagato, etc) but i dont think thats right...
When you hear someone say "I love the tone of that guitar." They're just referring to how it sounds.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
When you hear someone say "I love the tone of that guitar." They're just referring to how it sounds.
Um... "how it sounds" can refer to a lot of different things. The mood it sets. The clarity / quality. How easily memorable (catchy) it is etc.

Tone, as someone else already pointed out, is essentially a synonym for "timbre" which describes what makes each instrument unique. For example, you can play the exact same note in the same octave on a piano and on a guitar but you will still know, simply by how it sounds, that one is a piano and the other is a guitar. That's what "timbre" is all about.

Within the same instrument, like a guitar, each has it's own timbre still. And guitarists, when referring to the timbre of different guitars, call that "tone".
tone is how things sound.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
tone is the quality of sound. it is basically the difference between a squire strat and a jackson kv2. naturally, the jackson will have a better tone. it has a lot to do with the wood, pickups, strings, nect, etc.
i think of tone as how it sounds, but technically pitch also affects how it sounds......

quality of sound, maybe?

Jack my swag
Hmmm, I just think of it as how the guitar sounds, like they're are many unique sounds that different guitarists use, like if you campare two different guitarists you'll notice that the guitars don't sound the same
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.