except not yet...

Here's the board so far:

I found this wood layin' round so I started it tonight...
I need more wood and then all the other stuff, but hte wood I found was suspiciously the exact size I needed width wise, need to trim the length a bit.

The second tier is visible, but the pedals hang over, so I need to buy wood with more width...

EDIT: The reason there are spaces is I'm purchasing a DigiDelay, Dyna Comp, and Expression pedal for wah soo...and also for further expansion, though there's really not much more I need.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
looks good and really big, good job so far
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Thanks guys.

Quote by kurtlives91
How do you like the Phase 100? It looks old, how old is it?

Nice work so far...

It's my dad's old one, I don't know exactly how old, but it didn't work when I found it...I had to resolder a coupla wires and redo a 9v connector, but it was worth it. It's my first phaser, but it's so damn awesome. I love it.

Quote by senor_penguin
looks good and really big, good job so far

Yeah, I didn't want it that big, but that's thw way it came out when I laid down the pedals...it had to meet the pedals specs, not my comfort specs. :0

I need space for the wah expression pedal in the future and I'd rather that on my left, so I needed room for that, and I needed the big muff to the right because it's last in my chain, until I get my Dyna Comp...Then theres a place up front on the tier for my Digidelay...the first pic was the one that best suite my situation.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet at Jul 26, 2007,
dude thats so sweet and ginormus, mines always too small. wrap that un some carpet and your set
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I would make the rear shelf wider (at least 6" to give you a better mounting area for boss size pedals) and raise it so you can have storage space underneath it.

Nice pedal collection.
Quote by TwoString
I would make the rear shelf wider (at least 6" to give you a better mounting area for boss size pedals) and raise it so you can have storage space underneath it.

Nice pedal collection.

Thanks.
Yeah, I'm going this weekend for more wood. Like you said I'm widening the 2nd tier and of course raising it....

Twostring:
Can break away hinges and handles be bought at like Home Depot, or must they be bought from Oddysey?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I have not seen amp style handles or breakaway hinges at Home Depot. Odyssey isn't the only source though, a lot of the DJ case supply companies carry them as well. Check a few of the hardware links in my pedalboard build thread (I really need to finish it...sorry for the incomplete info).
No problem, it's more htan enough help.

Okay, I'll just get the wood and nials and such then, I'll look for them but if they're not there I'll just order em offline.

Thanks.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I am going to urge you to go with wood glue instead of nails. It will make for a much stronger board if you clamp it up and let it dry. My cases use no nails, screws or brads (with the exception of the rear shelf, which is held on to the board with screws from underneath). It's strong as you can imagine, where nails might back out a little over time.
I've read your tutorial and realized you didn't use nails..

I really don't feel comfortable with glue, I keep having this vision of it not holding...

Just know this...I have veery little experience nad very little tools. I don't have a clamp or anything, save a hand saw, screwdriver, and hammer.

Is glue really that much better?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
It's solid as a rock. Just pick up a few clamps. I bought a load of large bar clamps for around $14 a clamp. You really only need 2 long ones to do the entire board. It's worth it. And going glue over nails is even better if you're using ply or rounding over the edges. For one, you don't have to plan around the nails if you're routing. Two, if you're using nails, you're going to be nailing into the laminated sections of ply instead of the top. That has a tendency to split the ply or just overall form a weak connection.
Alright, I'll look into it.

I don't know what I'm covering it with. What do you suggest?

I mean the outside...I ;plan on carpeting th inside with velcro.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Using the first pic as reference, because I like that setup best, any ideas on how to make it a bit smaller?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Well, I think you've got a ton of room between the pedals, which isn't a bad thing if you want it that way. But I would move them closer together. I would say about an inch apart is good enough to get some right angle plugs between them.

There are various vinyls and tolex coverings you can go with. If you want to be redneck fancy, go denim. A friend of mine covered his Valve Jr. and home made 2x12 speaker cab with it and it looks nice...really different.
Okay, so I'm gettin the wood tomorrow...I'm thinking about that walls. Would it be impossible to instead of the top having 4 in. walls all the way around and the board having 1 in. walls all the way around...what'd it be like to have the fron of the board 1 in. and the back 4 inches, then the front of the the top 4 in. and the back 4 inches...

It sounds interesting...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Also, How would I cover it in carpet?

Do I cover the wood than construct, or cover it after it's constructed?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I personally wouldn't make the walls difference heights because you'll likely run into problems maching up the top and bottom.

You'll cover the case after the case is built. Spray adhesive and a lot of stretching and careful cutting and you should be good.
Quote by TwoString
I personally wouldn't make the walls difference heights because you'll likely run into problems maching up the top and bottom.

You'll cover the case after the case is built. Spray adhesive and a lot of stretching and careful cutting and you should be good.

I'ma post a diagram of what I mean, it intrigues me...

Okay, thanks.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I'm a photoshop noob.

HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
You can do that, but everything needs to match up perfectly. I don't like that design just because of structure...the box will be weaker because of the lack or surface area for the sides to glue to. For example, the tray section of the pedalboard (the actual pedalboard), the sides will be weaker because they are 4 inches tall, but the front is only an inch tall, so there's nothing to keep those side from giving away under pressure from the sides. Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly.

If you want to, go ahead and build it like that, but if you're covering with a decent material, you'll have to plan ahead so that 4 inch section in the front slips in between the walls of the lower section without pushing the sides out.
I don't know...since I want it to function without risks I probably won't go through with it, but maybe I'll build a second one at a later time...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Well I sadly haven't worked on this in a long time. I kept tossing it bakc and fourth in my mind...maybe getting a pre fab rondo case....building this...

I decided I'm just going to make a board, not a case...use a keyboard bag for transportation. The draft in my first post is still pretty solid...but I don't think I can fit a second tier in a keyboard case. I might make it a bit longer, the biggest keyboard case I've found is like 48"x16" which is more than enough, I'll do that or the 38"x15".

I'm going to wrap the board in carpet or velcro...maybe add alluminum channel around the edges. I'll post pics as THIS project takes way.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Thats four foot long....thats absolutely massive. I mean, when you gig, will you have 4 foot to spare for your board? Do you wanna travel four foot just to turn a pedal on? Is it worth it?
These questions must be carefully considered.
Yeah...

I'll probably reconfigure it soon so I have less room. My pedals are a real staple to me though, I use them all the time.

Without the second tier I'll have more room as well.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
I just went back to the drawing board, but there really isn't much I can do. Especially since I plan on expanding.

I mean I could make it more square-er, but then I can't transport it via keyboard bag...

It really isn't that big though. Like thinking about the measurements it seems big, but to have it in front of you isn't that big. The actual measurement's are really only:

38"x18"

Which I might trim to an even 3ft by 2.2ft.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
As fickle as always....

Now I'm pretty set on this idea....
I think I'm going to make a much smaller one. like 23" by15"to fit the end of my chain and I'm just gonna connect the two boards...

I was thinking about it and my Boss pedalbiard is really great and the case and everything is easy for transport...so I'm going to connect the boards like one big board.

I'll post pictures of this when I get the wood cut and carpeting down.

I'm pretty positive this is what I'm going to do, so I'm getting stuff tomorrow. I'll post after.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Here it is, in shape, not constructed:

Idk if I'm going to leave it like the first pic, or if I'm going to case it like the second. Suggestions?

With the case, I wouldn't be able to have the second tier like I wanted, but with the case, there is protection...idk...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
Just finished with construction. I'll post pics later. Tomorrow after school I'm off to the hardware store to get velcro and a 6 way.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?