Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
BUMP!
Could anyone advise me whether it would be a good purchase from this place of whether it would be better getting a proper guitar from a major manufacturer than a custom from JLK as I do not want to waste money on a non future proof guitar.
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
bump
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
i have been keeping an eye on jlkguitars for a while.

i am just a bit worried that he is getting all the bits cheap off ebay then making loads of money re selling it.

i am also a bit worried about the fact that once you have bought something from them it will have little or no resale value.

really does depend on if his prices start coming down.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

President and founder member of the Squier appreciation foundation - PM me to join
Yea I asked for a quote on a custom tele for £1200 which is pretty expensive but he said it would have to be all built by hand. He seemed to know his stuff though even asked if I wanted inbuilt effects in it

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653869

Thats the thing little resale value but its so hard to find good lefty guitars anywhere I was willing to just pay up for one. Decided to keep looking around though....
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
I know that this is an age old thread, but I would also like to know about the build of the guitars this company makes.
If anyone is interested, THIS is the guitar I'm interested in.
i would avoid it dude, your in the forum where there are a bunch of off brands that ppl use and love and if no one on this thread has heard of that guitar then it is rly rly not well known. so you cant rly check on quality in anyway before buying. ask the guy about returns
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by bored_maniac33
i would avoid it dude, your in the forum where there are a bunch of off brands that ppl use and love and if no one on this thread has heard of that guitar then it is rly rly not well known. so you cant rly check on quality in anyway before buying. ask the guy about returns

Cheers for the reply, it's impossibly hard to get good lefties over here in the UK.
Avoid them like the plague, he's a scam artist (in my opinion).

Ever since I first saw jlk guitars on ebay a few years ago, I was immediately suspicious as the 'quality' parts and pickups he was describing didn't seem to match the pictures. Plus the prices seemed greedily high, even if they were 'custom made' as claimed.

Well, my suspicions were finally confirmed today when I came across a chinese company called Shijiazhuang Shenglong New Star Music.

Specifically this page: http://newstarmusic.en.alibaba.com/search/product?IndexArea=product_en&SearchText=jk

Notice that you'll see some of the exact pictures jlk guitars uses. It's clear he's getting this or other Chinese companies to make the guitars for peanuts, sticking his logo on and them selling them as 'custom' guitars for a massive mark-up in the UK. I noticed that the model numbers are JK-02-2. Hmmmm...JLK, JK. Seems a bit of a coincidence doesn't it?

I'm not surprised it has worked. He's obviously skilled at set-ups so all he needs to do is to file and sort any uneven frets, perhaps re-wire the electronics, buff the finishes and they are good to go.

You know the story of the Emperor's new clothes? - I think that's what the buyers are like, they are seduced by the word 'custom' and because the guitars play ok and maybe sound half decent they are taken in by it. I've seen people who are easily deceived that a cheap pickup has great tone because they were told it has - it's all about suggestion.

I'm not saying they are bad guitars as I've never played one, but I am saying he is being untruthful, even fraudulent in selling these guitars for so much and claiming they have high quality parts and pickups that they don't have. I doubt that he makes any bodies or necks by hand as claimed, or has any involment in manufacture other that the cleanup/setup.

Of course these are only my opinions, I'm not claiming them to be absolute fact, but what I will say is that on his website he claims one of his guitars has custom pickups with 'slash alnico magnets' which clearly are not SD pickups. Make up your own minds.
Wow, bump a four year old thread for this?

*Reported*
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi