Ok i'll get to the point. I'm wanting to be able to play like Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, and Buckethead.

I know this isn't an easy task, and i understand i will need to practice . . . a lot. I'm willing to do that. But what i need to know . . . what should i learn.

Also for now i have a ****ty amp and an ok guitar. I'm saving up for a Fender Strat. Amp is undecided, probably a marshall.

But back on subject. What should i start learning?
Go to MT, read the sticky.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
yeah dont get a strat get an ibanez for sure, if you want to be all shreddy
and get a metronome and make love to it
finally, learn every scale you can inside and out
and dont have a life for the next four years just play for 8 hours a day
then you will be able to shred
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Quote by blacklp

i wouldnt be able to shred per se... but i can play some of dimes stuff on my strat (or at least i could when i didnt know what tone was )

but to shred = to practice.
Learn to play the guitar.

There's nothing special you can do to help you to "shred", you just have to start off like everyone else playing crap like twinkle, twinkle, little star and take it from there. It doesn't matter what gear you have, and what you have to learn is no different, you just have to get very, very good at it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
sigh. isnt there enough shredders in this cruel world?

if you want to be a true shredder i dont recommend getting a fender strat. get a jackson/dean/ibanez, something with a nice tremolo system. learn the basics first, and work your way up, UG has good video lessons.
fight the power that be
If you get a Fender Strat, that's your choice. Yngwie Malmsteen anyone? Pretty much, learn your scales. Know them inside and out.
If you wanna shred make sure you get a guitar that has optimal room for higher notes. As well as good sustain for the magic tapping, hammer on, sweeps part of the shredding. My first guitar didnt have very good sustain so sweeping came out pretty weak and so did tapping. When i had to hammer on my fingers felt like freaking hammers because i had to hit it so hard for a decent sound. Id recommend getting a set or neck thru
Don't even worry about changing guitars or amps or anything else.

Keys to being a shredder...

1. Learn rhythm. Really, this is key more than anything else. There's no point in playing a billion notes a second unless you can tie them in to the rhythm of the song somehow. You will also never be able to play more notes than you can pick (you can actually pick faster than you can fret notes), so work on your right hand technique by practicing rhythm.

2. Learn a wide variety of scales and learn how to transpose them all over the neck.

3. Learn a little music theory - this will help you visualize note patterns and help you spot combinations.

4. Buy a metronome and do not play guitar without it.

5. After you've got your scales down, start trying to play them in different positions and with different fingers.

6. Play everything slow until you master it 100% without any mistakes. When you get to that point, bump up the metronome a little.

7. After everything else is down, work on technique. Pick angle, legato, etc. Technique is not as important as your ability to visualize the fretboard and your consistency.

My thoughts...

EDIT - Once again, I cannot stress this enough, you do not need a new guitar. Have your guitar set up and maybe have the frets leveled if they're a bit whacky. With shredding, the guitar itself is about 1% of the total. If you don't have knowledge of the fretboard and a good right hand, you've got nothing.
Last edited by TwoString at Jul 27, 2007,
Quote by Vittu0666
If you get a Fender Strat, that's your choice. Yngwie Malmsteen anyone? Pretty much, learn your scales. Know them inside and out.

Exactly. I find it really easy to play fast on Strat's and Tele's...probably easier than on my Ibanez's actually.

Preference people, preference.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Get some Paul Gilbert instructional videos (Intense rock I & II, Terryifying guitar trip, and apparently the get out of my yard has some stuff) Wtach John Petrucci's rock discipline (its on youtube if you dont want to buy, but if you want the book too, buy).
Learn scales, modes, chords, just learn theory, and memorise it.
Learn to improvise upon that theory, as Yngwie said "Improvisation is the genesis of Composition".
Learn songs of your favourite artists.
Stick with the rythm even when you're balls to the wall shredding.
Buy a guitar that you're comfortable playing, it doesnt neeed a trem, it doesnt need a thin neck, it doesnt need high output humbuckers, you just need to be comfortable playing it and like the sound its producing, but the amp produces more of the sound so focus on that for your tone.

There are many more tips they are just a few.
Also I have shredded on PRS SE singlecuts, and am buying one, I've shred on strats, les pauls, ibanezes, jacksons, I shred on every guitar I play near enough, it's possible to play a John Petrucci solo on any guitar, not just ones with thin necks.
Of course I love tremolo work but I can play without one too.
Why exactly do people want to shred? To show off? Or get girls?

Just learn a few chords if that's all you intend to do.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
I'm pretty sure just learning a few chords is what those singer song writers do, it's like that dumb ass at the party who breaks out his acoustic and plays ****ing oasis and thinks hes a good guitarist.

Things like shredding, sweep picking, and tapping is what separates the casual from the hardcore guitarists. It's not to get chicks its because it sounds ****ing awesome.
Quote by GuitarHero0715
drop trying to learn songs, and learn scales, and once you feel you have an adequate(sp?) knowledge of scales, start back on learning song, while trying to write your own

That's totally not true- learning songs is one of the most important things ever. Just because I write my own music doesn't mean I don't learn other people's. Stealing a cool little lick every once in a while doesn't hurt, and you can't make up your own like it if you don't know how to play it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Rufiothebandito
I'm pretty sure just learning a few chords is what those singer song writers do, it's like that dumb ass at the party who breaks out his acoustic and plays ****ing oasis and thinks hes a good guitarist.

Things like shredding, sweep picking, and tapping is what separates the casual from the hardcore guitarists. It's not to get chicks its because it sounds ****ing awesome.

That's rubbish, the current over-emphasis on showboating techniques like those is the single biggest tragedy in guitar music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It's not showboating, it allows guitarists with a lot of technical ability to explore the more complex side of writing music and getting creative with it.

Are composers like Rachmaninov and Chopin rubbish because they have fast complex pieces?
I'm all for giving recognition to bands who keep it simple like the black keys, white stripes etc.
but for a lot of people who play guitar they need something more in the music they listen to, something that pushes boundaries and gives them something to try and wrap their head around.
I've nothing against them, just the current obsession wth them that leads players to overlook the fundamental aspects of the instrument and music in general. Being aple to play blindingly fast is useless if you don't have anything to say.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I've nothing against them, just the current obsession wth them that leads players to overlook the fundamental aspects of the instrument and music in general. Being aple to play blindingly fast is useless if you don't have anything to say.

TESTIFY!!!!
Quote by steven seagull

Obviously you don't like shred, you're just pumping out some generic anti shred rant.

"Why are people so obsessed with play 65 trillion notes per second? Their music has no feeling!"

Who hasn't heard that kind of thing before? The "don't have anything to say" part proves my point. Lots of shredders play instrumentally. At any rate, this guitarist has already decided he wants to play shred, so there's no point debating it.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by Rufiothebandito

Noel Gallagher is a great guitarist.

When you write a solo that makes people feel as overwhelmed as Live Forever, you can comment.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

He's a mediocre guitarist at best.
that solo doesn't overwhelm me at all, what overwhelms me is something creative and unique, something that doesn't copy a formula like Oasis does. ie: The Mars Volta - Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt, and trying to tell me if I don't play like Oasis I can't comment on a shredding thread is ridiculous.
Well, to start try lowering your bridge if you can or get a neck eith bigger frets, and pick a realictic challenging song with fast...ness and pratice it ove3r and over increasing your speed bit by bit

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by Rufiothebandito
He's a mediocre guitarist at best.
that solo doesn't overwhelm me at all, what overwhelms me is something creative and unique, something that doesn't copy a formula like Oasis does. ie: The Mars Volta - Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt, and trying to tell me if I don't play like Oasis I can't comment on a shredding thread is ridiculous.

I'm not concerned about you playing like Oasis, just that you should respect particularly Noel Gallagher as an artist. He's a great guitarist. You don't have to make like Paul Gilbert and play like a technical demon to be a great guitarist.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

it's not about being a technical demon, its about being creative with whichever style of play you choose, I happen to think Oasis hasn't done that, nor do they strike me as "one of those great bands you need to respect" imo.
Quote by blacklp

my exact biography since I was 12 lol

What also helped me was listening to lots of different styles of music: jazz, opera, classical, ragtime, ect. just to get a feel of different ways to incorporate scales into different types of music. I believe what music you listen to definately has an impact on your musical ability. So, broaden your music a little, practice all the time. And by practice I don't mean jam around and play licks of other songs, I mean play scales until your hands and fingers hurt like hell. Then get into a band to help with your call and responce and improvisation. If you do well teaching yourself, then go for it, because that's what I did, but also I'd recomend getting a good teacher.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Jul 27, 2007,
yea, dude fenders blow for shredding.
Quote by cagnius
I'd rather be spooning than doing my essay...
Quote by Rufiothebandito
it's not about being a technical demon, its about being creative with whichever style of play you choose, I happen to think Oasis hasn't done that, nor do they strike me as "one of those great bands you need to respect" imo.

They effectively, along with Blur, rejuvinated and reinvented an entire scene. I think they are easily one of those great bands you need to respect, as you put it.

Anyways, TS, the only way you're going to be able to shred is a rediculous amount of practise. It's horrible, but churning through scales with only the click of the metronome to keep you company is the only way to do it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Shred. Man, why do people still want to do that. I mean, come on!

It's got no feeling in it. It's got no meaning. Why then? Because it's "hardcore"? "Cool"? Whatever suits you... But for me - it's just guitar wankerage.

I guess I am neither "cool" or "hardcore", seeing as I've been avoiding shred for the last 20 years. And belive me - you CAN play a good and soulful metal solo without shredding.

EDIT: And to whoever said **** about the "song writers that know a few chords", you are welcome to kiss my chord-loving, song writing musician ass. I happen to think that the greatest composers are those that can tell you all they want with just a few notes.
Quote by bakk
Hi,
I have been pickin' up some Arabic radio signal things. Every time I turn up my Amp, this crazy Imam starts messing up my chords.

Proud owner of a 1987 Kramer Baretta I w/ spider Guitart.
Last edited by binjajer at Jul 27, 2007,
Quote by binjajer

you CAN play a good and soulful metal solo without shredding.

Of course, but with shredding you got more variety to add to compose a solo. Is simple as that.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by *kas
Obviously you don't like shred, you're just pumping out some generic anti shred rant.

"Why are people so obsessed with play 65 trillion notes per second? Their music has no feeling!"

Who hasn't heard that kind of thing before? The "don't have anything to say" part proves my point. Lots of shredders play instrumentally. At any rate, this guitarist has already decided he wants to play shred, so there's no point debating it.

I like good shred which comes from players who know their instruments inside out. What I can't stand is crap churned out people who think you can shortcut your way to the good stuff whilst bypassing everything that actually makes you a musician. People like Vai, Gilbert and Satriani were never obsessed with playing fast, they just got that fast by being phenomenally dedicated. Sure they're fast, but their knowledge of the instrument and playing instincts are just as good. If you practice well and aim to be a good, rounded player then you'll become as fast as you need to be. If you aim to be fast then you'll just be fast and crap.

If people are asking questions like "How do I improve my npm in alt picking" and "Are there any special exercises that build speed" then they're priorities are wrong.

Quote by Kurapica
Noel Gallagher is a great guitarist.

When you write a solo that makes people feel as overwhelmed as Live Forever, you can comment.

Hate to do this, but I have to disagree with you there, Noel Gallagher is gash. He's the other end of the spectrum. I've always hated the way he plays completely within himself...there's no passion, no fire, no soul. People like Ace Frehley, Bernard Butler and Mick Ronson are technically pretty limited, but they manage to have an edge to their playing despite not having killer chops, Gallagher is just mind-numbingly insipid.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 28, 2007,
Quote by binjajer
Shred. Man, why do people still want to do that. I mean, come on!

It's got no feeling in it. It's got no meaning. Why then? Because it's "hardcore"? "Cool"? Whatever suits you... But for me - it's just guitar wankerage.

I guess I am neither "cool" or "hardcore", seeing as I've been avoiding shred for the last 20 years. And belive me - you CAN play a good and soulful metal solo without shredding.

EDIT: And to whoever said **** about the "song writers that know a few chords", you are welcome to kiss my chord-loving, song writing musician ass. I happen to think that the greatest composers are those that can tell you all they want with just a few notes.

Because you can gain a lot from it. You don't have to shred all the time. Sweep picking and all that good stuff is still worth learning even if your not gonna use it.

And as an added bonus if you can go fast, imagine how comfortable you'll be playing at a slower pace.

Its better to know how to do it and not use it then to not know how to do it at all if you know what I mean.
Quote by Wolven
So we decided since all we did was play Mortal Kombat and watched Power Rangers, we could defend ourselves, so we went and grabbed a bunch of crap to bombard the thing with.
Scales + Metronome set at 140 + 16th notes = shred.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by Rufiothebandito

I understand what you're wanting to say here, but you don't need to shred to be an amazing guitarist. Clapton, Gilmour, Santana, and the like never "shredded" and I don't think anyone would call them casual guitar players(the words "some of the greatest" come to mind when describing them). I agree with the guy above that too often today, the ability to shred overpowers the ability to write good pieces of music. Sure, Chopin had some very fast technical pieces, but he also didn't just throw them in simply because he could do it. However, at the same time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being very proficient and technical when it comes to guitar playing. Everything, including shred, has a place and time and needs to be used properly, but not overused and overemphasized.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
if u want a shred machine for the price of a standard strat get the esp ltd kh-202 its got the looks that kill and a floyd rose and has a nice fast neck. Trust me way better than a strat i own the kh and ive played a strat many times.