what is the difference my friend was so pissed when he got a mexican strat for christmas. does he just have something against mexicans oris there a tone difference as well? which is bettter

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Mexican Strats demand that you play in Spanish.
On the bright side, however, they DO float better than MIA Strats.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I learned that there are easy ways to waste your life away when all you have is a computer and a world full of people putting new and interesting things on their boners.

Wow, I've been here for a while.
they are good for the money. u get better pickups, better hardware, and such with an american made, but most things can be upgraded.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Its all really value for money. American Strats are the best that goes with out saying. Personally for me though Mexican strats are the best for what you pay for. Their good and their about 400-500 bucks. Well American Strats are better their also $1000 and upwards.
^
1. who said they were.
2. in some cases mex made is better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i posted this earlier today.
Quote by guitar_infidel
And actually, the necks and most of the bodies are the same on both the mexicans and the americans they are just routed differently i.e. all mexican strats being routed HSS and the americans having 2 point trems instead of 6 point. . I think with strats the term "Made" is inaccurate and should be replaced with "Assembled". The only difference is the pickups and electronics. QC is better also. Thats why, when you play mexi strats, you go in and play every single one of them.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
^just because u posted that earlier doesnt make it true.

the necks are the biggest difference, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ Mexican strats have gloss necks, what about Americans?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
nut, fretwork and finish, neck feel, fret size, neck size and shape, all different. that's just the neck.

^edit: sorry i missed. sometimes it's polly vs nitro finish.

really depends on which two models we are talking about here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 26, 2007,
Another notable (but basically pointless) difference is the fact the American Strats and Teles (unless vintage series) have 22 fret necks, vs. Mexicans which have 21.

I know MIAs have better quality control but I'd say about half the time I find a MIM in the same store that I prefer to the MIAs. For a while that was almost always a 60th anniversary unit. Those things are wonderful.
I paid $800 for my mexican, and it's really great.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
I heard somewhere that there is a difference and some people prefer Mexican Strats to American ones. I also played about 4-5 different American ones as opposed to my Mexican and mine sounded better by FAR. Except mine has major tuning issues when you use the whammy bar.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
^you should set up ur guitar better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I have both, I got the MIM for 330.00 and the highway 1 i got for 499.00 and there is a difference in the 2 of them. I mean man a 330 dollar guitar is a 330 dollar guitar. I will say that the MIM strat at 330 is a pretty good deal compared to others in the price range.
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
The MIA Standard is just all round generally better than the MIM Standard, with better hardware everything. It has better fretwork and rolled fingerboard edges. All the MIA's I've used are all better than MIMs, excluding the Classic Player's series - they equal the MIAs, and the Classics equal the HW1s. I've found that all MIMs I've tried are better than the other mainstream guitars in their pricerange though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Whenever I was looking for my 60's reissue strat, I sat down at GC and tried the American vs the Mexican. I compared for hours. In the end, the Mexi won. The guitars were identical in just about every way possible. They both felt the same, sounded the same and looked to have the same quality. Since I purchased mine, I had a chance to work on a few American models to compare. I still glad I got the Mexican...everything the American had, but way cheaper.

There is just no way to say outright that every American strat is better than a Mexi or Jap strat. You just have to try them out and see for yourself. But when it comes down to it, the Mexi strats and teles are usually the better deal.
well straight out mex standard vs american standard. yeah, the american is better, but alot of guys forget there are about 12 new models of mexican made guitars inbetween the two in cost, and quality.

there's even an american made highway 1 that's loads cheaper than the american standard.

so, like said, depends on the two guitars compared.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you are a novice or semi-novice get a Mexican Strat and don't feel bad about scrathing it compared to a $1,000 USA Strat.

If you are new to guitar playing you are hardly going to notice any sound difference between the two.

An accomplished guitar player is always going to want a guitar that matches his skills and choose the USA Strat over Mexican.
Last edited by Siciliano at Jul 27, 2007,
Quote by Chips-
I paid $800 for my mexican, and it's really great.

For that price does your Mexican do the yardwork and laundry?
Quote by Siciliano
For that price does your Mexican do the yardwork and laundry?
It's a Classic Player's 60s Strat. Speaking from experience, these are on completely equal footing with the USA Standards, but with different parts.
Quote by Siciliano
An accomplished guitar player is always going to want a guitar that matches his skills and choose the USA Strat over Mexican.

I disagree to that statement. I've been playing around 12 years and the Mexi '63 reissue was the choice instrument over the same American instrument. They were both the same, the Mexi just had the smaller price tag. The point I'm trying to make here is that the choice isn't always that clear cut. Experienced or not, it is possible to find a high quality Mexi Fender, you don't always have to buy an American to get quality (and even then, I've seen quite a few examples of American models that you just don't want to touch).
Quote by MrCarrot
It's a Classic Player's 60s Strat. Speaking from experience, these are on completely equal footing with the USA Standards, but with different parts.

That's right. And in europe guitars are usually a bit more expensive so 600€ ($823) for my CP60s is not that bad compared to an MIA standard which is 999€ ($1371).
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
That's right. And in europe guitars are usually a bit more expensive so 600€ ($823) for my CP60s is not that bad compared to an MIA standard which is 999€ ($1371).
Yeah. Here in the UK it's a no-brainer as to which is the best value for money. The MIA is £650, the CP50s and CP60s are £360, and have equal qualiy and playability to the MIAs I find.
Sometimes you find a MIM strat that pwns the MIA strats, with the exception of the pickups.

Btw, does anyone know what hardware and pickups came as standard on the 2002/2003 MIM standard strats? I got mine used, it's unbelievable how damn good it is, it NEVER goes out of tune, EVER (i stretched the strings, tuned them up, and it stayed perfect ever since even after some serious trem abuse), it has all fender hardware by the looks of it (each individual tuner and saddle says "Fender" on it lol).. sounds awesomer than any other strats i've played... is this just a freak guitar or has it been upgraded?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp