Page 1 of 2
I was wondering if anyone can give some advice on learning Japanese, or tips/things I should remember? I have Rosetta Stone with Japanese Levels I & II and after completing it well, will I be able to start understanding Japanese Anime without the need of sub-titles? Has anyone else used Rosetta Stone to learn a language properly?

Also, if there are any good websites with commonly used Japanese words/phares or like a glossary of some kind, post it up. I'd really appreciate it.
Japanese is hard man. There's three different alphabets, and Kanji has like over 10,000 characters. I took three years of it in high school and I was still very far from fluent in it. I've never used Rosetta software, but it will take a long time to properly learn the language. Good luck.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Jul 27, 2007,
Rosetta stone is good for vocabulary, but it's bad for grammar. It doesn't teach you how to conjugate verbs and things like that. I'm learning French now. I went through the first 10 lessons of Rosetta Stone, and I didn't really like it. I prefer free online sites. Japanese is hard though. I give you credit for having the balls to learn it.
Quote by evening_crow
Holy crap!!! a talking penis!!!

Quote by Rush Fan 06
i wasnt 3, but i ate **** when i was 4 thinking it was chocolate

if someone sigs this i will murder them.
Isn't there conjugation in any major language?
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

*PEYTON*
bo ku ha ni hong go ga dai suki desu yo

Yea, have fun scrambling that meaning, if you get that meaning, then you can understand anime. Im not jap tho, i still have like 3 other languages i can speak.
86 Japanese Fat Fender Strat
Vox ADVT30 XL

Pelvic Thrust those Axes !
Quote by TheUnforgotten

Yea, have fun scrambling that meaning, if you get that meaning, then you can understand anime. Im not jap tho, i still have like 3 other languages i can speak.

I think that means to love/like if I'm thinking of the right word. It was a big word in an anime I watched before.
weeaboo
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
thats 1/10 on your quiz kurt, good beginning
86 Japanese Fat Fender Strat
Vox ADVT30 XL

Pelvic Thrust those Axes !
Quote by jiminizzle
I think I'm turning Japanese.

and good luck

Man, as soon as I read the title my brain went "I think I'm learning Japanese, I think I'm learning Japanese, I really think so!"

Also:

Watashi no nihongo wa muy iidesu.

(PS-one of the words in that last sentence is not in japanese. Can you tell which one?)

Quote by TheUnforgotten

You love japanese!!!

Edit: that's some bad spelling there dude. Maybe what you meant to say was:

Edit2: I forgot to add the "yo" in that picture...just imagine there are a bunch of exclamation points after the desu.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Last edited by musicianamedave at Jul 27, 2007,
^^ I know Watashi no means "I", I think. Muy doesn't seem to be a Japanese word, most of the syllables are accompanied by a vowel.. except for n. I hope I'm understanding correctly. I thought nihongo was Japanese in Japanese, but he seperated everything so I was unsure.

And I'll know who to ask in case I'm having alittle trouble, musicianamedave.
Last edited by Kurt-Corgan at Jul 27, 2007,
Quote by TheUnforgotten

I love Japanese! but I still can't understand anime
<my signature>
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
^^ I know Watashi no means "I", I think. Muy doesn't seem to be a Japanese word, most of the syllables are accompanied by a vowel.. except for n. I hope I'm understanding correctly. I thought nihongo was Japanese in Japanese, but he seperated everything so I was unsure.

actually watashi no means "my"

"watashi no neko" means "my cat"

"neko no ringo" means "the cat's apple"

"no" is a word that indicates possesion.

and japanese doesn't have three languages, you turd, you mean the 4 different ways of writing.

to the TS, learn lots of vocabulary, it'll help with the grammar. Japanese grammar istn't THAT hard.

EDIT: doesn't that mean "I am a sweet japanese!!!!"?
Quote by Kurt-Corgan

"Watashi no nihongo ga muy iidesu" means "My japanese is very good." Muy is spanish. I have an odd habit of throwing a spanish word or two when speaking Japanese. It always drove my high school Japanese teacher insane.

Here's a relatively simple conversation for you to try out (I apologize if I make any spelling errors, I haven't taken any classes in Japanese for 2 years).

Keiko: Kyou, ochiya o nomimashyouka?

Keishi: Demo...kyou wa isogashiidesu.

Keiko: Aaa...ashitawa?

Keishi: Hai, Ashita wa iidesu.

Edit: lol, it blocked out the "shit" in ashita.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
^^that should be "nomimashouka" in the first line - no y.

wow, it's cool to see there's more people trying to learn jap round here... i'm studying it at uni, but tbh i still can't understand more than a few random words when watching anime - which probably means i ought to study more, anyways.

besides, there's quite a few major differences between high-register jap and what you'd use to talk to your friends, so it's quite something to get to the point where you can understand anime. just be patient and consistent, that's the only way to learn it properly. good luck, kurt.
so who do i have to kill to get a crit? --> Memory

(e-cookie for whoever spots the alliteration, ha)

y cuando llegue el momento, sólo el viento se llevará lo que siento; y cuando acabe mi suerte, sólo en la muerte estaré fuerte y despierto...
よい運の勉強の日本語。それはかなり堅い。通常それをであるotakus するおよび彼らしか敗者によって中途半端にあきらめを終えない人々。

Probably doesn't make sense, but you'll get the point.
Quote by spanishsmn
^^that should be "nomimashouka" in the first line - no y.

wow, it's cool to see there's more people trying to learn jap round here... i'm studying it at uni, but tbh i still can't understand more than a few random words when watching anime - which probably means i ought to study more, anyways.

besides, there's quite a few major differences between high-register jap and what you'd use to talk to your friends, so it's quite something to get to the point where you can understand anime. just be patient and consistent, that's the only way to learn it properly. good luck, kurt.

You sure about that?

I was always taught that you drop only the "i" when writing in Romanji, not the y as well.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
^^yup, i'm pretty sure about that. shi+yo makes sho, just like shi+ya makes sha and so on. dunno, for some reason they stick to pronounciation alone in this case.

y cuando llegue el momento, sólo el viento se llevará lo que siento; y cuando acabe mi suerte, sólo en la muerte estaré fuerte y despierto...
Japanes is flippin difficult...u got the first two languages, hiragana for spelling words in japanese and katakana for spelling foreign words. 46 characters in each, so that's 92 you need to learn. Then there is kanji, (10,000 characters +) which replaces letters from words to make them shorter. Grammar is easy, this could help you understand anime:

Person waPlaceniVerbma****a

example

Bokuwa kouen ni ikima****a

I went to the park

But unless you have an awful lot of spare time on your hands I wouldn't do it, just stick with the subtitles. It's not that rewarding.

Konnichiwa

it'd be cool to learn japanese

french is easy though
but they do have stupid rules

sayonara (goodbye in japanese)
In his junior year of college, my cousin went and stayed in Japan for over four months. He said he was able to have decent conversations with people and he also said he got laid a ton becasue the Japanese girls loved the white guy speaking broken Japanese. So.... be wise in what you learn!
The times they are a changin'.....
Watashi wa akakami koneko desu
=P
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Italy's Finest
In his junior year of college, my cousin went and stayed in Japan for over four months. He said he was able to have decent conversations with people and he also said he got laid a ton becasue the Japanese girls loved the white guy speaking broken Japanese. So.... be wise in what you learn!

Broken japanese???

"umm....chotto...ottearaii wa nan...oops, I mean...dokodesuka?"
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
amerikan-jin desu

i only know some basic phrases lol

EDIT: just found this site looks liek it could be helpful
http://www.learnjapanesefree.com/
Japanese... You seem to have the basic foundation. I think listening to J-Rock and studying the lyrics will help you a lot. I love singing Japanese songs so I often memorize the lyrics of many Japanese songs so I can sing them at Karaoke~! If you love J-Rock, try that. It will greatly improve your vocab, expression, structure and so fourth.

Check out X-Japan!
Schecter C-1 Classic, Pearl Blue
hmm thats a good idea obaka san i nvr rly thought about it lol
Quote by 0bakaSan87
Japanese... You seem to have the basic foundation. I think listening to J-Rock and studying the lyrics will help you a lot. I love singing Japanese songs so I often memorize the lyrics of many Japanese songs so I can sing them at Karaoke~! If you love J-Rock, try that. It will greatly improve your vocab, expression, structure and so fourth.

Check out X-Japan!

Dude, I've been obsessed with J-Rock lately. Can you name a few bands I might have not heard? I love Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Orange Range (kinda hip-hop), ZZ, Beat Crusaders, Tropical Gorilla, and of course, X-Japan! Hide with Spread Butter is awesome aswell.
First of all, Japanese is NOT a hard language to learn. Quite the opposite. It is one of the easiest spoken languages to learn in this world. Unfortunately it is also one of the hardest written languages to learn as well. English is one of the hardest languages to learn and the easiest to write. So if you have master speaking english then japanese won't be that hard for you just as long as you work on basic vocabulary first and then move onto grammer. As for rossetta stone, I have the japanese version as well. Rossetta stone Teaches you mind how to recall vocabulary without having to first think of the english word that goes with it. Grammar is just expected to be picked up on, not taught. My suggestion is keep learning through Rossetta Stone and learn grammar once you understand enough of the vocabulary.

also,

Quote by TheUnforgotten

What you meant to write was;
boku wa nihon-go ga daisuki desu.

the japanese word "wa" is written in the hiragana for "ha" I am not sure why this is, but then again I am not that good at japanese.

nihon-go is actually nihon+go. in japanese "go" is put after a place to state the spoken or written language. Just like -jin is put after to describe a person. Nihon-jin is japanese person and amerika-jin is an american.

As for the yo on the end. It is unneeded. Yo is the japanese form of "and".
The phrase basiccally means "I Really like japanese"
daisuki is use to explain somthing or someone you really like, or have strong feelings for. The japanese language has no word for love other than ones stolen from other languages,, so Daisuki or Daisuke is used in it's place.
i think you're learning japanese i think you're learning japanese i really think so...
"If you're not a doctor, then you must be... A fox"
*releases hounds*

last.fm
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
I think that means to love/like if I'm thinking of the right word. It was a big word in an anime I watched before.

Ah My Goddess!, No?
Quote by David Roby
Unfortunately it is also one of the hardest written languages to learn as well.

I immediately trump that with Ancient Egyptian and Chinese.
Quote by jiminizzle
I think he learned Japanese already...

i think i learned YOUR MUM... last night.

oooh yeah
"If you're not a doctor, then you must be... A fox"
*releases hounds*

last.fm
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Dude, I've been obsessed with J-Rock lately. Can you name a few bands I might have not heard? I love Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Orange Range (kinda hip-hop), ZZ, Beat Crusaders, Tropical Gorilla, and of course, X-Japan! Hide with Spread Butter is awesome aswell.

The Pillows

My FAVORITE JRock band. Their music was featured in FLCL.
Quote by TheUnforgotten

I love japanese?

I took 3 years of it but never really payed attention
Quote by David Roby
First of all, Japanese is NOT a hard language to learn. Quite the opposite. It is one of the easiest spoken languages to learn in this world.

you know, i'd say it is actually fairly complicated if you're aiming to talk properly - there's many differences in register and such, and the order of elements in a sentence is completely crazy, so we western people have loads of trouble grasping that.

as for written japanese, i agree, it's damn complicated. ^_^

Quote by David Roby
As for the yo on the end. It is unneeded. Yo is the japanese form of "and".
The phrase basiccally means "I Really like japanese"
daisuki is use to explain somthing or someone you really like, or have strong feelings for. The japanese language has no word for love other than ones stolen from other languages,, so Daisuki or Daisuke is used in it's place.

"and" is actually ya, and yo is simply a colloquial element.

daisuke is a phonetic variation of daisuki, isn't it? like something you just say orally but never actually use in a more formal context, right?

oh and by the way, they do have different ways to say love, only not as specific - take sukina, sutekina, ai...

man, i wish i could go to japan for a while... ^_^

Page 1 of 2