I just discovered that when left-hand muting a string by resting your finger on it on the 7th or 12th frets right above the metal bar, it produces a note. I dont push down, and if i use the same technique on any other fret, i just get a muted note. I thought it was just me, but i tried it on my bass, my guitar, and my friend did it on his guitar too. Has anyone else discovered this, and if you have, how does it work?
Those are harmonics, and you can do them on loads of different places. I actually have a pure-harmonics intro to a song I'm writing. =]
haha you havent been playing very long have you. its called a harmonic, and its very very well known. you can get them on any fret wire (thats what the metal bar is called) but there best and clearest over the 7th 5th 12th 17th and 24th frets

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Im pretty new, about 4 months on guitar, but the last 2 i've played mostly bass.

EDIT: i know pinch harmonics, what kind of harmonics would those be?
Last edited by corrylb19 at Jul 27, 2007,
natural they are. not like pinched harmonics that produces a squeal
Quote by iloveboobs99
what im a pig bcuz i like boobs. Ok who here like boobs! just wonderin. i do

Quote by Shoestick
Never has there been a time more in need of a smiley that pops a boner.

tee hee

check this out 4 real
Quote by corrylb19
Im pretty new, about 4 months on guitar, but the last 2 i've played mostly bass.

EDIT: would those be called natural harmonics?

yes natural, there is atrificial harmonics wich are really cool XD there kinda hard to do and there done mostly on guitar but i found a way to get them with a quick pop note and rolling your hand so that it pops with you palm still on the string then it rolls off, it works different depending on where you play the note there alot higher and harsher sounding its hard to get them loud on bass tho like i said, there mostly done on guitar, Zakk wylde does them alot

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
you can change the place of a harmonic by fretting and then doing a harmonic with one hand
for example
if you fret the second fret on the E sttring and then try a harmonic on the 14th fret you get a different harmonic
how fun
I plays guitars.
Quote by Narcotics
haha you havent been playing very long have you. its called a harmonic, and its very very well known. you can get them on any fret wire (thats what the metal bar is called) but there best and clearest over the 7th 5th 12th 17th and 24th frets

19th = 7th, too, same note, very clear

also, u can tune with natural harmonics. Using the 5th of the lower string and the 7th of the next string up, they should be the same. Its really accurate.
You really thought you discovered that? Like really really? Check out Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius. It'll change your life.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
natural harmomonics: are harmonics on the string with out fretting

artificial harmonics are when you fret a note and then stretch another finger over the string barely

pinch harmonics are when you fret a note and then pluck it with yorue pick then imediately barely touch the string with a thumb or finger.

pinch harmonics are easy but takes a littlebit to get used to the motion.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Technically, pinch and artificial harmonics are the exact same thing. They are basically natural harmonics with a fretting hand dictating string length, one finger pressing on a node, and one finger plucking the string. The only 'difference' between pinch and artificial is which hand you use.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I just thought that pinching was a technique used to create an artificial harmonic.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I just thought that pinching was a technique used to create an artificial harmonic.

Jaco explained the artificial harmonics thing rather well in his video, but there was still some drunk-Jaconess to it.

This might help you visualize:

A harmonic requires 3 things: 1) something to dictate the length of the string, 2) something to contact the string at a certain point proportional to the string length (i.e. the node), and 3) something to pick the string. All harmonics, natural or artificial, have those 3 things.

For a natural harmonic, 1) is the nut of the bass. 2) would be your fretting hand gently touching the string at a fret, and 3) is your picking hand as perusual.

For an artificial harmonic, 1) is a fretted note. Consider it to be the 'nut' of your bass, and now your string has a shorter length. 2) would be another finger on that fretting hand, touching the string at a point as if it were on a fret. 3) is your picking hand as perusual.

For a pinch harmonic (which is the same as an artificial, except your 2) is on your picking hand), 1) is a fretted note, 2) is either your thumb, pick, or other finger, touching the string at a node proportional to the string length dictated by number 1, and 3) is a combined motion with 2 to pick the note that 2 is sounding.

It may read complicated, but once you figure it out, it's actually quite simple. Just think that the fretboard goes on forever, and that your fretting hand is as if you're shifting the nut.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
wait a sec, how do you do pinch harmonics ?

didn't even think of it being used on a bass lol
Quote by El Penguino
wait a sec, how do you do pinch harmonics ?

didn't even think of it being used on a bass lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRuOQtg-pJ0

Noobness indeed
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Even I know what a harmonic is!
You can do the sam in lots of place - holding 7th and 12th like this works the same as 19th and 12th