Alright everyone,

I have £300 ($600) and I want to buy a new guitar amp. I am kinda thinking about the Peavey Valve King 112 - tried it in the shop and it sounded pretty good.

I play a bit of everything but nothing really heavy.

I suppose I just want a load of ideas so i can go check them out ... what are peoples' recommendations for a £300 ($600) amp?

Thanks
Quote by philjay
*Picks up TT like handbag and smacks you over the head like an angry granny *
Try that with your rocker 30

Latest Songs & Poems

[thread="1404112"] Blaze (Music)[/thread]
[thread="1207211"] Evening Sunshine (Music)[/thread]
[thread="899566"] To Wonder (Music)[/thread]
[thread="960046"]Dreams[/thread]
If you aren't playing any metal or heavy stuff the Valve King is a fine amp!
If you ask me... even perfect for the pricerange it's in...

I would defo recommend you to play one but also some Fender amps, just check out what you like most
I'm considering that amp also, but if you want gain it's incredibly likely that you'll have to stick an OD pedal on it.

I've got my eye on some Laneys now to be honest, thanks to DaveMC.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
The ValveKing is good if you know how to pilot your amp. It does have some amazing sounds that it can crank out but you kinda have to work at it to get them just right, but I'm seriously anal about my tone so it could just be me.

I have the VK100 head and have played the 2x12 combo and neither of them are high gain amps, the ValveKing's tend to sound like an American version of the JCM900, and suit much the same styles, anything up to reasonably hard rock, but not metal.
cool cheers guys - its sounds like it really could be the amp for me!

I play some pretty hard rock but don't tend to play much metal. If i want to I suppose i can use my Boss ME-50 footboard to put some crazy distortion on!
Quote by philjay
*Picks up TT like handbag and smacks you over the head like an angry granny *
Try that with your rocker 30

Latest Songs & Poems

[thread="1404112"] Blaze (Music)[/thread]
[thread="1207211"] Evening Sunshine (Music)[/thread]
[thread="899566"] To Wonder (Music)[/thread]
[thread="960046"]Dreams[/thread]
The VK is mediocre at best, no dynamics and doesn't really pack a 'punch' to it.
But it's okay if you need a valve amp on a budget.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
The VK is mediocre at best, no dynamics and doesn't really pack a 'punch' to it.
But it's okay if you need a valve amp on a budget.

agreed.

but theres always a BJR or a modded VJ that sound like pure sex.
Combo Laneys are also cheap and really nice, but tend to break down ALOT!
www.High-Gain.com
Your source for High-gain, Boutique, Handmade and Rare guitar amplifiers in Europe.
a VK combo is good for like band practice and playing around the house right? the 1X12?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
At that price I'd certainly get myself a Laney LC30. Look into it mate, gak.co.uk has them for £250 or something like that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I don't believe any of the talk of the VK not being good for metal. I play in a metalcore band and I've tried the VK at low volumes and I loved the tone.

I really think you guys use too much gain.
We're only strays.
VK's are fine for metal lol when I got mine (VK 100W Head) a few months ago I used to always compression to get a smooth controlable sound out of it (for leadwork) but now I have tamed the best lol.. the amp has plenty of gain! my main technique is legato so I need a decent amount of gain!, as well as shred im also into metal like megadeth ect.. the amp does that fine..

I really dont know why any1 would need more gain lol... I also use the amp for playing in a kinda commercial rock band and have gig'd it a fair few times now (inc glastonbury festival.. john peel stage baby!) with no probs.. only thing is you'll wana get a chorus pedal to lushen up the clean channel a bit but thats no biggie now is it!

chris
Last edited by synth002 at Jul 27, 2007,
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I really think you guys use too much gain.

+1!