Page 4 of 8
Quote by pbiggie
did these guys ever perform demon cleaner live?

They might have performed it with Queens of the stone age when they did the suprise shows, but i'm not too sure about back in the 90s, it would make sense seeing as it is one of their most well known songs.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I just starting to get into these guys. I have downloaded a few of their albums. Some of their songs are so heavy. Josh Hommes guitar work is great
Quote by pbiggie
I just realised how awesome Un Sandpiper is.

Tbh, I was never really into their non-album songs, but I'm just listening to Kyuss again for the 1st time in ages so I'll give them another listen.

But I just realised how awesome Spaceship Landing is. I haven't heard it too many times because due to the 20 minutes of silence on the track I've never had it on my mp3 player. But it's such an awesome song! Maybe the best on ...ATCLT.
...receiving transmission from David Bowie's nipple antennae...
I don't like it that much, Circus never did much for me.

They have fantastic non-album songs, like Fatso Forgotso, Un Sandpiper and their cover of Into the Void, which is my favorite rendition of this song. Better than the original.

God, I hope no-one from the metal forum reads this post
>.>

<.<
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by we_built_a_tree
I don't like it that much, Circus never did much for me.

They have fantastic non-album songs, like Fatso Forgotso, Un Sandpiper and their cover of Into the Void, which is my favorite rendition of this song. Better than the original.

God, I hope no-one from the metal forum reads this post
>.>

<.<

That into the void cover is one of my favourite vocal performances from John Garcia. My absolute favourtie is probably this However: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfxEQgTqLw
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Yeah the non-album stuff is some of their best material. Also their worst - Shine is dreadful.
So you like the calm Garcia more than the aggressive Garcia. I thought that Into the Void was a bit boring, my favorite vocal performances are more along the line of Gardenia and so on.
Quote by smb
Yeah the non-album stuff is some of their best material. Also their worst - Shine is dreadful.

Agreed.

...would you love me?
John's best singing was in Unida IMO. Don't really think he was anything special during Kyuss.
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74
Well, he wasn't very good on Coping with the Urban Coyote, but The Great Divide is another story, that's one of his best performances.

...would you love me?
I'm not sure if it's OK to post it here, so I pm'd you the link.

...would you love me?
Thank you very much!^^

EDIT - wow! Cain sounds like soundgarden!
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74
Last edited by pbiggie at Nov 15, 2009,
No problem.

It's my favorite post-Kyuss album by one of the band members, aside from maybe QotSA's Rated R. I think it's on par with Rated R and even better than StfD.
Such a shame that it was never released! I've got the feeling that it could have been the breakthrough of Unida.

...would you love me?
Them crooked vultures seem to pretty good as well. I haven't listened to the whole album but what I have heard is pretty excellent.
EDIT - That totally sounds like dave grohl doing backing vocals on slaylina.
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74
Last edited by pbiggie at Nov 17, 2009,
Any amp suggestions for a deep bassy tone like Josh's? I realize you want to cut out a lot of treble, but even with my 212 combo, too much low end just gets farty and gross sounding. My brother's bass amp even gets that farty sound, but to a much lesser extent. Any help?
Josh used Guitar amp heads and Bass cabs, so a combo probably wouldn't get you close to the tone you're looking for. Your brother bass amp, would be a better option. As for specific settings, I don't really know.

EDIT -
Quote by Somedude
The album had (has) a life to it that was quite new to me. While most electric guitar music has, by default, a synthetic aspect to it, the guitars on BLUES had an earthy, organic feel to them. The song “Apothecaries’ Weight” sounds like it’s being played on guitars made of mud with mushrooms sprouting out of them, being pumped through amplifiers that grow from the ground. The intro to “Thumb” is warm and fluid, and feels like the sun rising over the desert horizon. The solo on “Freedom Run”, though blistering and metallic, calls forth images of a lava flow before it does a rock star showing off. And if a budding flower could make music as it opened, it would probably sound like “Capsized”.

The most beautiful description of Blues for the red sun I have ever read.
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74
Last edited by pbiggie at Jan 1, 2010,
I know its not really Kyuss, but I've been listening to a bit of Slo Burn stuff recently.
Quote by Quinlan
I know its not really Kyuss, but I've been listening to a bit of Slo Burn stuff recently.

My favourite post kyuss John Garcia band is Unida.
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74
Slo Burn is alright. Pilot the Dune is a great song; other than that, I'd call them solid.

Unida really is John's best post-Kyuss band, at least when we're talking about The Great Divide. Coping... is sub-par, imo.

...would you love me?

17 April 2010 0-13 Roadburn fest, Tilburg, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
28 May 2010 Andrews Lane Theatre, Dublin, Ireland
29 May 2010 Vooruit, Gent, Belgium
30 May 2010 Melkweg, Amsterdam, Netherlands
1 June 2010 Underground, Koln, Germany
2 June 2010 Schuur, Luzern, Switzerland
3 June 2010 Kiff, Arau, Switzerland
4 June 2010 Estragon, Bologna, Italy
5 June 2010 Feierwerk, Munchen, Germany
6 June 2010 Arena, Wien, Austria
8 June 2010 Festsaal Kreuzberg, Berlin, Germany
9 June 2010 Loppen, Copenhagen, Denmark
10 June 2010 Ubel & Gfarlich, Hamburg, Germany
11 June 2010 Batchkapp, Frankfurt, Germany
20 June 2010 HELLFEST, Clisson, France
Tangy Zizzle and Thee Old Boozeroony are awesome.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I just actually made a playlist a while back with Kyuss, early QOTSA, Slo Burn, Unida and Fu Manchu. Set to shuffle, and its easily one of the most epic things I've ever listened to.

Kyuss has spread my listening range into other stoner and doom stuff. It makes most of the stuff I used to listen to sound really sterile and flat. This stuff just has so much intensity and heaviness. Makes me a very happy dude.
Playlist on shuffle? Kyuss?

Don't.

...would you love me?
I've been playing Gloria Lewis a lot recently. The riff popped into my head once, I checked the tab and now I've been playing it everytime I pick up my guitar.

Born to Hula I think is already thought as QotSA (it was on the split, right) but I've been playing that a lot too.
Playlist on shuffle? Kyuss?

Don't.

I'll quote Southpark, Cartman specifically: "Why the **** not?"

Born to Hula I think is already thought as QotSA (it was on the split, right) but I've been playing that a lot too.

I always considered it QOTSA, simply because Josh sang it on the split. But the guitar is definitely more Kyuss sounding. I always thought there was a noticeable change in Josh's tone / play-style after Kyuss.
Born to Hula is QotSA, no doubt about it.

That doesn't stop it from being fantastic, though.

Quote by Quinlan
I'll quote Southpark, Cartman specifically: "Why the **** not?"
Full albums > single songs, especially when it comes to a band such as Kyuss.

...would you love me?
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Born to Hula is Full albums > single songs, especially when it comes to a band such as Kyuss.

I'll jump in there real quick and make another pop-cultural reference.

That's just like, your opinion, dude.
How awfully clever of you.

'course it's just my opinion; the circumstance that I present my opinions as fact - mostly because I don't see the point in adding "imo" to all of my posts - shouldn't fool you.

...would you love me?
Full albums > single songs, especially when it comes to a band such as Kyuss.

I completely agree with you about full albums being best. But who said ANYTHING about single songs? I put each bands entire discography into this playlist. It's freakin' massive!

It just gets kinda boring listening to just 1 great band at a time. I figured just to spice things up I'd have a master playlist of all of it just to save time.
Last edited by Quinlan at Jun 6, 2010,
Quote by Quinlan
Set to shuffle
That's where you went wrong.

Nah, 'tis all OK. I don't care, really, how you listen to Kyuss or any other band. I personally just prefer listening to whole albums, because I find it to be a much more satisfying experience.

...would you love me?
Last edited by we_built_a_tree at Jun 7, 2010,
Quote by we_built_a_tree
How awfully clever of you.

'course it's just my opinion; the circumstance that I present my opinions as fact - mostly because I don't see the point in adding "imo" to all of my posts - shouldn't fool you.

To be fair, without people stating their opinion as a fact this forum would be awfully dull.
Quote by Kenbeek
To be fair, without people stating their opinion as a fact this forum would be awfully dull.

this is truth.

I never get tired of this band. Kyuss are truly legends.
Albums I Must Obtain
Quote by fretsonfire74