Page 5 of 8
Never saw this thread before.

Amazing band. Welcome to Sky Valley is probably my favourite album overall, but I'm only coming to terms recently with the awesomeness of El Rodeo. Can't Catamaran out of my head either.
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
I've heard of Kyuss a bit here and there but never got around to listening to them. This thread convinced me to get around to it and damn, this stuff is excellent. Thank you thread.

Welcome to Sky Valley is the stand out after the first few listens through the albums.
love kyuss. gardenias my fav. dont smoke though. what marshall head does mr hommes use in kyuss?
Kyuss's singer is not Josh Homme. He was their guitarist, John Garcia was their singer. My favorite album by Kyuss is Blues For The Red Sun, but they're all very good. My favorite Kyuss song is Freedom Run or Green Machine.

I don't listen to much Paul Weller, but I do like a few of his songs with The Jam.
============================
UPVC Doors|UPVC Front Doors
I'm not too sure, definitely nothing newer than a JCM800 or 900, though. He did run them through Ampeg bass cabinets though. Towards the end of Kyuss I've seen videos of what I assume is his Tubeworks head and the occasional use of a Sunn head as well.
Kyuss are one of my favourte bands yeah. I often wish I'd been old enough to see them when they were around because they split up before I even got into metal let alone Stoner.

It's a shame especially because I don't think Joshua Homme caried on any of it's legacy afterwards. QOTSA and all that other crap he's done since has been poppy junk (of course this is my oh so Holy opinion)
Gear: Lindo victory flying V, Orange 30w practice amp, Jazz iii guitar picks, mobile phone apps for tuner and metronome.
My band's working on doing a cover of Kyuss's Supa Scoopa and Mighty Scoop.

This band is amazing. Some of Homme's best guitar work, and I second whoever said QOTSA was post-Kyuss. They're way too underrated.
no.
Quote by Trey Spruance
Kyuss are one of my favourte bands yeah. I often wish I'd been old enough to see them when they were around because they split up before I even got into metal let alone Stoner.

It's a shame especially because I don't think Joshua Homme caried on any of it's legacy afterwards. QOTSA and all that other crap he's done since has been poppy junk (of course this is my oh so Holy opinion)
Yeah man, totally. Just like Pantera and all that crap, way too poppy for me.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Finally bought physical copies of three rek's:
Welcome to Sky Valley
Blues for the Red Sun
...and Circus Leaves Town

25 eurobucks, a steal.
I just got Welcome To Sky Valley, and I must say that John Garcia's vocals are godly.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by TheReverend724
Whitewater is the best

Damn straight.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Whitewater is the song that got me into Kyuss.

Also, Capsized is magnificent.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I recently bought Sky Valley, I think it's definitely one of the best albums I own, the groove on Gardenia is just amazing. Josh Homme can do no wrong in my opinion
One of Kyuss' songs was on Skins last night

Forget which one, but it was the greatest intro to a TV show I have ever seen.
Quote by ratm123
I recently bought Sky Valley, I think it's definitely one of the best albums I own, the groove on Gardenia is just amazing. Josh Homme can do no wrong in my opinion

Well he is a ginger.

My favourite by them has to be "...and the circus leaves town". It's their only album where I can get past Johns annoying voice and enjoy the music all the way through.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
... annoying voice?

Oh, and clearly Circus is their least inspired, by far. Impressive, considering it owes its existence contractual commitments, but from about every standpoint, just... nah.

I maintain that Kyuss stopped being Kyuss the instant Brant left.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Well he is a ginger.

My favourite by them has to be "...and the circus leaves town". It's their only album where I can get past Johns annoying voice and enjoy the music all the way through.

The vocals on Space Cadet suggest his voice is anything but annoying.
Quote by Duffman123
One of Kyuss' songs was on Skins last night

Forget which one, but it was the greatest intro to a TV show I have ever seen.

I'm pretty sure it was Gardenia. I was so happy, I was all ''KYUSS ON SKINS OMGOSH''. Was sweet.

I listened to Welcome To Sky Valley in the gym this morning too.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
I'm pretty sure it was Gardenia. I was so happy, I was all ''KYUSS ON SKINS OMGOSH''. Was sweet.

I listened to Welcome To Sky Valley in the gym this morning too.

It was Thumb and i was like mega exited when i heard it lol, and then i told some people and no one cared
Quote by fenderjackson73
It was Thumb and i was like mega exited when i heard it lol, and then i told some people and no one cared

Was it? Shit, I could've sworn I heard Gardenia. Ahwell. Still great. Yeah same, only one of my mates listens to Kyuss.

Dunno, George. It really is terrible. The only redeeming quality is some of the music that's in it.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
What the hell are you doing watching Skins though?

The episode was about a metal head, and I though it would be funny to see how stereotypical it would be. I was not disappointed.

It was a terrible episode, but I don't care, a Kyuss song was in Skins! Got to stop listening to them now, since their mainstream now
Quote by Duffman123
Got to stop listening to them now, since their mainstream now

Same thing happened with me and Animal Collective

CURSE YOU SKINS!
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
The vocals on Space Cadet suggest his voice is anything but annoying.

On some songs he's okay, but on the majority of them he's not. There's a reason that he's that low in the mix.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Feb 6, 2011,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
On some songs he's okay, but on the majority of them he's not. There's a reason that he's that low in the mix.

I'm pretty sure it's just the mix in general that's shitty
after listening to tools live performance of Demon Cleaner with the Kyuss Bass player, i think i'm gonna start getting into them.

Demon Cleaner is Epic.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
Quote by pbiggie
His vocals have gotten a lot better since Kyuss split up.

He's fine when he decides to sing in his clean voice, but when he decides to get all rough, and stupid he sounds terrible.
Quote by TheReverend724
I'm pretty sure it's just the mix in general that's shitty

I like the mix.
Quote by L2112Lif
Garcia says he is only doing Kyuss Lives to promote his solo record (with Scott Reeder). Forgot where I read this.
Quote by tattyreagh
Garcia says he is only doing Kyuss Lives to promote his solo record (with Scott Reeder). Forgot where I read this.

Either way, I'm happy to see Kyuss together again, even if Josh isn't there. I do know that if they come to Chicago I'm gonna do whatever I have to do to go see them.
Quote by L2112Lif
Anyone like their first 2 releases?

They seem to be completely ignored when it comes to talking about their best work, probably cause they're not very good.
Quote by Duffman123
Anyone like their first 2 releases?

They seem to be completely ignored when it comes to talking about their best work, probably cause they're not very good.

Are we talking about the Sons of Kyuss album and Katzenjammer, or are we talking about the first two after they changed their name to Kyuss?

If we're talking about the former then it's because they were horrible, and if we're talking about the latter then I think Red sun was fantastic. Never thought Wretch was too good though.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Are we talking about the Sons of Kyuss album and Katzenjammer, or are we talking about the first two after they changed their name to Kyuss?

If we're talking about the former then it's because they were horrible, and if we're talking about the latter then I think Red sun was fantastic. Never thought Wretch was too good though.

Sons of Kyuss and Wretch.

Listened to them a while back and have never listened to them since, they were pretty shite.
Quote by Duffman123

Listened to them a while back and have never listened to them since, they were pretty shite.

Agreed
Quote by Duffman123

Sons of Kyuss I listened to once, and Wretch I listened to maybe 2-3 times. I find myself pretty much staying with Red sun, Circus, and Sky Valley.
Quote by L2112Lif