Randall you can actually get alot of sounds out of.....i mean...i have heard ppl play punk on them and it sounded like punk and i have heard some twisted ass metal out of them too....Crate....they are just as good....you can play virtually anything on them....they have good crunchy distortion....but the model your looking at i dont think has really any effects on it...but dont let that stop you.....cause i have a line 6 212 myself and i rarely use the effects on that...i have that set of wacked out distortion as the best as i can get from it...good luck with lookin for your next amp
Randalls are generally good for metal tones, however solid state Crates are pants. What kind of sound do you want and what's your budget?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm actually looking for a new amp myself. I know crates are good. I was actually using my dads amp for a while. He got it new when he was a kid, probably around 20-25 years ago, and it just broke for the first time about a week ago, so crate amps are definitely solid amps. The one I (and my dad) had was a Crate G40C XL, and it had a great tone to it. It was a very versatile amp, and suits all styles. It had a chorus effect on it with two knobs for depth and rate, and had a brightness button on it. So if you really want a solid versatile amp, I'd go for a crate.

So like I said, I could use a new amp myself and could use some advice. My budget is around 300-400 dollars US, and I play metal, hard-rock, neo-classical, and classic rock. I don't really play blues at all. I currently have a washburn Wi-64, but I am getting a Schecter C-1 hellraiser FR for my 16th b-day. So any advice would really help!

Thanks
I'm getting the halfstack version from a friend of the Crate GLX series. Same everything except I'm getting built in effects. Great for metal and rock. Has deep cleans too.
No!

No SS non-Pritchard halfstacks!
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Leat
I'm getting the halfstack version from a friend of the Crate GLX series. Same everything except I'm getting built in effects. Great for metal and rock. Has deep cleans too.

You sure it's not a washing machine? Come to think of it a washing machine would probably give a Crate a good run for it's money...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm going to also voice my opinion that solid state Crates are awful.
Hi, I'm Peter
If you want a lot of power and don't care about tone get the crate. The Randall is probably a little better for metal, but a good 15 watt tube combo will be as powerful and sound much better than either. If you are getting these amps as practice amps either will do but I would not brag about having them and anyone with a tube amp will blow them away tonewise. Peavey Transtubes (ss) sound a lot better and a little more tube-like if you must have solid state. These are strictly my opinions but I have played these brands (not the particular models.)
Quote by Dirk Gently
I'm going to also voice my opinion that solid state Crates are awful.

seconded (thirded?).

Also, just because crates built nice amps 25 years ago doesn't mean they do now. Look at, er, basically every good manufacturer from 25 years ago...

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They sure don't sound as good as the Crates from 20 years ago. I have an old 212 combo and it sounds reasonably good (for ss.) They weren't any better quality-wise. I wouldn't count on it for a gig. If everybody else in the room was playing solid state my old Crate would sound somewhat better than most, but if someone had a tube I would go home and get my tube combo.
Ok I feel really silly. The Randall is a tube amp. Go with it before the Crate for sure. I have not played Randall tube amps but I am sure they would kill the Crate. Sorry about the uniformed post.
this thread scares me...

open your eyes! much better amps out there for the same price! vox's, cubes! just look hard! As said crates are meerly disposable amps! And you get what you pay for!
I found a store with that particular crate, it wasnt bad but it didnt sound nearly as good the randall, but then again ive only had one ****ty amp since is started playing, so almost everthing sounds good/better.
still don't let your ears fool you. solid state crates are awful. i know, i have 2...

follow the good advice here and you won't be disappointed.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ if you know they're awful, why do you have two?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well i have the RG75G2 Series and it's great for metal tone and is pretty good on cleans , i say go for it!
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ if you know they're awful, why do you have two?

ah there was a time when i was a total noob... okay make that twice
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

^ hah, i've done similar stupid stuff...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh haven't we all...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.