I just raised my action a lot, about 1/4 centimeter (at least I think it's a lot) on my SG to eliminate my fret buzz. Do I need to have my truss rod adjusted?
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
as long as its playable with no buzz you should be ok. You may want to check the intonation however. The note on a string when played open should be the same as when it is played at the 12th fret i believe
I dont think so, but the general idea of your action is to keep the bridge parallel to the body of the guitar. I raise my truss rod depending of buzz too, but just dont raise it too much.
86 Japanese Fat Fender Strat
Vox ADVT30 XL

Pelvic Thrust those Axes !
Intonation is adjusted. If I have the treble side a bit lower than the bass, is that ok?
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
Anyone?
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
Treble side lower than the bass side is normal, and if its other way around its still not wrong, action is all up to you (preference).

Fret your low E 1st fret and your last (or where the neck meets the body) and see the 8th fretwire. If the string have between 0.3-0.5mm clearance then its ok. If the string just lay dead on the fretboard or more than 1mm then probably you'd need to adjust your truss rod.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
if you do end up adjusting your truss rod dont be afraid to, just turn it at 1/4 turn intervals and leave about 10+ minutes for the neck to settle into "formation"
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
the tension on your strings would roughly be the same, i dont think it that raising it that amount could cause enough tension to overwhelm your trussrod
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
I think I'll take it in next week for a trussrod adjustment. My strings have about 1 mm clearance at the 8th fret when the 1st and last frets are fretted.
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
You can do the adjustment yourself. You just need to tighten your truss rod. If your clearance is about 1 mm, that's too concave. Turn your truss rod 1/4 turn. Let it sit and then measure your relief again. With that level of dip, you'll probably need a total of 1/2 or 3/4 of a full turn. But do it 1/4 at a time.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 28, 2007,
I don't have the correct tool for it. I used to but I lost it. Plus, I'm really nervous when working with my guitar. I almost have a heartattack when I break a string. Is it something I should have taken care of right away or can can it wait a week?
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
you can leave it, always best to have the correct tool.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thank you all for your help.
Quote by Kurapica

Quote by aeliustehman

Quote by BWall1226
Quote by musicalfish
I don't have the correct tool for it. I used to but I lost it. Plus, I'm really nervous when working with my guitar. I almost have a heartattack when I break a string. Is it something I should have taken care of right away or can can it wait a week?

You could leave it forever. Nothing will break on the guitar that wouldn't normally break had the truss rod been adjusted.
Hi, I'm Peter