I need a new distoriton pedal. i have no price range really i just wanna know what the best one is
GEAR:

/epiphone goth sg/
/Work in progress strat/
/Line 6 Spider lll 75w/
/Roland Micro Cube/
/Digitech Death Metal/

*I EAT ROFLBERRYPWNCAKES*

FOUNDER OF THE ANTI-COMMUNIST GUITARIST CLUB (PM TO JOIN)
look for a Tech21 Sansamp GT-2, they're great from what i've heard. I want to try one out and possibly buy one too. If you can, get a used one in good shape, because they go new for around $190 USD
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Whats wrong with your RP80? Even if you buy the best distortion pedal available its not going to sound all that much better than what you have now.
^i've got the RP80 too, and it doesnt have a wide range of distortion. It has very little to mild, but it sounds like he's looking for something a bit heavier.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Depends on what you're after...

I like Pro Co Rats, Electro-Harmonix Big Muffs, Marshal Jackhammers & Shredmasters, zVex Fuzz Factories/Probes & Machines, and of course the Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer.

But I haven't the slightest clue of what you're looking for in a distortion petal, so I can't give you any real kind of advice.
Quote by Ht666
Don't get a MT-2, they're ****. Have a look at a Metat Muff.

are you on crack?! the MT-2 dominates! i'd suggest the Mt-2 or the new metal core pedal.

whats with everyone not knowing how to spell pedal?, Petal???
Well I suggest Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion... very versatile... and Big Muff is also fantastic but it's more fuzz than distortion.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Quote by Dimebag2004
I need a new distoriton pedal. i have no price range really i just wanna know what the best one is

1st off...WAAAAAYYYYYY to vague a question for a couple of reasons.

1) There really is no "best" of anything. There will be products that fit the sound you are looking for.... so a question like "how can I get a distortion that will sound like Metallica, I play through this rig now...." is better suited to help you out....especially since you have no price range.

2) According to the wide array of responces.. I don't know if you are looking for "distortion" pedal... or fuzz... or od... or booster... all of which are quite different types of dirt pedals... "dirt"pedals all inappropriately falling in the category of "distortion" pedals.

3) What amp are you playing and why is the amp gain not doing it for you and are you just looking for some kind of boost? In this case you may just need an EQ pedal.

NOW.... for a recommendation on a "distortion" pedal (not fuzz, or od etc) I find that the TC Electronics Line Driver/Booster/Distortion pedal has the best distortion for great harmonics and note separation that I have ever heard. It also can be used for clean boosting, and has a built in noise suppressor. If money is no option for you, then this is definately worth a look.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
yeah dont get the mt-2! worst pedal ever.

I really suggest getting the tech 21 sansamp gt-2.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Why's the MT-2 so hated? I have one, and as long as the level is turned sufficiently down (around 9 o'clock in my case), it's as good a distortion pedal as any other, though probably not so much for solo play as it messes up the high notes quite a lot for me.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by mothership
yeah dont get the mt-2! worst pedal ever.

I really suggest getting the tech 21 sansamp gt-2.

The Tech 21 Sansamp gt-2 is a GREAT pedal... I've owned one for years... but I don't think I would call it a "distortion" pedal... more of an analog modeling pedal...but certainly it sounds better than the majority of "dirt" pedals on the market and is quite flexible in its tonal scope. Again, if you have no price limit on your box, then this would also be a great recommendation.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Dont waste your time with e rp80. i have one and i only use it for the delay cus i cant afford a pedal. And also stay away from most of the boss distortions unless you plan on modding it which doesnt really help honestly because regardless of what you do to it, they still sound brittle and its hard to get a nice thick tone out of it. If you dont mind spending 145-200 check out homebrew electronics. I just got their full metal jacket distortion pedal and it sounds pretty damn good.
1) dont get a boss distortion. they're not worth it.
2) what kind of distortion? ds-1 type, rat whatever.
3) dont get a digital one.
basically, get a boutiqe pedal..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by kurdtkobaign
Whats wrong with your RP80? Even if you buy the best distortion pedal available its not going to sound all that much better than what you have now.

ha i have an rp80 and it is not that great for distortion no good solos or pinch harmonics

for soloing fab metal so cheap but i love the way it screams
for metal i love my line six uber metal (digital) and digitech death metal (analog) yup an analog digitech pedal makes no sense but i love it
Quote by bcrichslave
ha i have an rp80 and it is not that great for distortion no good solos or pinch harmonics

A pedal doesnt help with pinch harmonics. Thats all skill and technique.

Since this thread is so vague, theres no way we can help. We need a definate price range, and style.
Get a MXR Distortion +
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Quote by RX120D
are you on crack?! the MT-2 dominates! i'd suggest the Mt-2 or the new metal core pedal.

whats with everyone not knowing how to spell pedal?, Petal???

MT-2's are either a hit or miss. i dont like them, to me they are too muddy.

for metal i reccomened the EXH Metal Muff, BOSS MetalCore, or Digitech Metal Master
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
I've just bought a Sansamp GT-2 for one day, what a great pedal ! i use it with my ibanez RG270DX, the sound is very good for lots of type of music. Buy it now!
Ibanez RG270DX
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-1
Boss OD-3
Tech21 Sansamp GT2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby
Digitech GNX1
Roland GA-20
If you dont have a price range, dont rely on distortion pedals. Distortion from a hi-gain tube amp would be heaps better.

But, if you're set on a distortion pedal, i second the sansamp GT2, i own one myself.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers