As soon as I sell my Crate halfstack (any takers? heh? heh?..) I'm gonna pick up a Fender HR Deluxe. I've played it, and i love the sounds it can get me, and I cant wait to perfect it with upgraded tubes and speaker. But, I'm going to need an OD pedal to get some different OD and heavier distorted sounds out of this amp. My price range is about a hundred bucks, since i'm 15 and jobless.

With all that said, should i get an Ibanez TubeScreamer or a Wylde Overdrive? I play with a wide range of sounds, anything from clean Kenny Wayne Shepherd (electric lullabye, last goodbye), to slight OD (Gilmour and Pink Floydish sounds), and heavier stuff like Dream Theater. Nothing way over the top.

Some examples of sounds I like off Musiciansfriend:
javascript:pop(';">http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/15/150284_TS9_2.mp3','500','350');
javascript:pop(';">http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/15/150284_TS9_3.mp3','500','350');
javascript:pop(';">http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/15/150284_TS9_5.mp3','500','350');
javascript:pop(';">http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/media/product/mp3/15/151118_zw44_1.mp3','500','350');

I think I'm leaning more towards the TubeScreamer because it sounds like that can get me where i want, and i still want to go try them out. But hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction as well. If there are any other pedals out there in my range, please tell me about them.

Last thing, If i have the money, i might go up to around $140 and get a Fulltone OCD. Thats probably what i'll get if i have the money, but if not, then im looking for the TS or Wylde overdrive.

Thanks to everybody who read all this and helps me
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

I'd get a Tubescreamer mate. I've yet to use anything with Wylde's name on it worth anything.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
alright, thanks. Thats what i was leaning towards based off the sound clips, but im gonna go try them out as soon as i can. Or, maybe not so soon. Not like im in a rush since theres been no hits on my amp yet

Thanks for the responses
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Quote by Syn Harvest

Yeah the Maxon's are very good if you can get one for a nice price. I'm very happy with my Tubescreamer though so it's a matter of preference here.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
no offense man, but youre thinking on playing a zakk wylde pedal through a fender amp? if youre going for metal tone, fender usually isnt the way to go.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by marvelboy_04
no offense man, but youre thinking on playing a zakk wylde pedal through a fender amp? if youre going for metal tone, fender usually isnt the way to go.

I'm not going for a "metal tone". I usually use somewhat high gain, but not really. I like more of a crunchy sound rather than a lot of gain. Dream Theater is as high as I go, i generally like more of a Steve Vai sound out of my gain.

I'll try out the Maxon OD-9, one of the local stores i go to has them. Thanks
EDIT: my store sells them for $150...might be able to find one for cheaper.

Does anybody know anything about the Fulltone Distortion Pro?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Jul 27, 2007,
I have both, and the Tube Screamer is way better. They have a slightly similar voicing, but still, the tubescreamer is better.
Quote by basketcase23
I have both, and the Tube Screamer is way better. They have a slightly similar voicing, but still, the tubescreamer is better.

Sounds good to me. How do you use it? Like, do you use it on overdrive to get high gain, or do you use it off clean? or both? How much gain can you get from it used on overdrive?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

If you can find one, an Xotic BB preamp is worth looking at, they're about the same price as a tubescreamer (well the 808 anyway) and IMO they blow just about all other OD pedals away.

Dont' bother with the Wylde pedal, while it's actually got a really nice tone to it, they tend to be really noisy and give a lot of feedback. Not a pedal I'd want to use without a noise gate.
Quote by 6DgOfInTb
Sounds good to me. How do you use it? Like, do you use it on overdrive to get high gain, or do you use it off clean? or both? How much gain can you get from it used on overdrive?

I use it the most as a solo boost on both channels. I set the gain fairly high since I like high gain leads, but roll the tone back to smooth everything out. For the clean, it really just dirtys up the tone a little, kind of like a tube amp about to break up, and it just adds a little warmth to clean leads. I don't notice too much of a gain increase in general, but it does allow me to get my strat feedbacking easily when I want.
^Thanks, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for

If i can find a good Fulltone OCD for cheap i think i'll go for that, but for now, this sounds great. Maybe when i get a job I'll do a little more upgrading, but i still want to have a little money for a V30 in my new amp I'll be getting soon.

Thanks for all the help
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

Quality Overdrive > Mediocre Rip-Off

I think you know which one is which.

(and hopefully you know your greater than and less than symbols)
^ o.O i dont understand...i get the greater and less than symbols..but are you saying the Tubescreamer is quality OD and the Wylde is the ripoff, or that the Tubescreamer is the ripoff and something more expensive is quality OD?
O.S.I.

Check out my profile

I checked out the Maxon, and i'll try one out. But if i cant find one for $150, at the moment i cant afford it. I might wait to buy one if i really like the difference, though.
O.S.I.

Check out my profile