Allright.

It was due, and i didnt want it to come, but i have now hit another wall in my guitar playing.

ive been playing electric guitar for like a month or so now, and guitar overall for a year and half.

I suppose I am a decent guitarist for the time ive put into the craft.

But electric guitar is HARD. I can't begin to admit my frustrations with playing the electric and making it sound good.

I practice a fair amount that i can outside my job, i can fit 2 hours a day easy.

But im at a technical spot right now and im having trouble.

My instructor had me learn the minor pentatonic patterns, the 5, and i can play them front to back, all 5, with a fair amount of speed, metranome on like 140 is np.

Here is my problem.

he wants me to play them across the neck horizontally and its really tuff for me to get what he is trying to have me do.

If anyone can refer me to a thread or a webpage that can help me understand this that would be great!

Also. does anyone have any advice on how to make solos out of these scales. when i run through them, they just sound like scales and it is tuff to make them sound "solo-esque"

Thanx!

_B_
"TONE ADDICT"
You use scales as an arsenal of notes at your disposal when you solo. You just select certain parts of the scale to play, skip over, or repeat. You're not always doing runs.
A guaranteed way to hit a wall while first playing is by trying to learn complicated scales and all that as soon as you pick up the electric guitar.

Forget all of that crap, and just get acquainted with the instrument. Just sit home and noodle around on it. And yes, the electric guitar will force you to be a better player, because errors in your playing are much more likely to be heard when the guitar is amplified and distorted.

But you haven't been playing that long, so don't worry about being "awesome" or anything like that. Just worry about having fun. If you aren't having fun playing, then you shouldn't even be playing.

Be firm with your teacher. Tell them that you're not comfortable, and that you want to learn at your own pace.
Quote by jetfuel495
theres a really poorly written lesson somewhere around here that does a really good job of explaining that whole horizontal concept

haha that sounds funny. like they said above, a scale is just notes. you can use those same notes anywhere on the fretboard, practice some basic scale variations, play through some of the first scale, then slide down to a note on the second scale to finish it. just play around with the notes you know you can use.
fight the power that be
Do you know the notes in the scale, or have you just learned it as patterns? If not, learn the notes and get the hang of navigating around by using root notes as markers. Also, stop running up and down them - that's pretty useless. All that's doing is getting you into the habit of running through them, which isn't really conducive to good solooing. The speed at which you can play a scale pattern is meaningless, until they create a "Guitar Olympics" at least...

Playing horizontally is useful though, as he's trying to help you "break out of the box" and use the whole fretboard. Easiest way I find is to start with your index on the first note of the first position on the low E, pick that note, pick the 2nd note on the low E then slide up to the third note...that's 3 notes and you've already shifted position. Play the next note on the A string and repeat the process. Basically you're playing a 3 note per string pattern, sliding from the 2nd to the 3rd note on each string to move you up the neck. For example, in A minor pentatonic...

E|---------------------------------------------17-20s22-
B|------------------------------------15-17s20----------
G|----------------------------12-14s17------------------
D|-------------------10-12s14---------------------------
A|-----------7-10s12------------------------------------
E|---5-8s10---------------------------------------------

There are thousands of solos that use the minor pentatonic, listen to them and start to identify the common patterns and licks that crop up. Analyze people like Angus Young, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, BB King, Gary Moore, Paul Kossoff etc...they're all great exponents of pentatonic soloing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Don forget Zakk Wylde!

Sorry, it had to be said...
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Ok so i understand moving the scale around the fretboard, i thought i didnt, but i in fact do.

Thanx Seagull for your post especially as it helped.

I think what im going to do is i have a fretboard here all filled in with the scale all the way down the neck with the 5 patterns.

Im going to sort of run up 1 scale, then slide up and run back down the next scale, then slide up and run up all the way down the fretboard to get me familiar with moving and seeing where all the notes are.

Does this sound ok?

plus i will also learn to try and mix it up moving across the fretboard.

_B_
"TONE ADDICT"

Playing the scale, then sliding up and playing it again isn't really going to be of much benefit. Seeing things as boxes gets in the way, what you want to be working on is moving up and down the fretboard between the "boxes", eventually you'll stop seeing them as such. If you do wnat to run through the scale patterns don't just run through them, straight, mix things up with bends, doubled notes, hammerons etc, stuff like these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4HIf4P7Gxw&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3oZvk07n5U&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH6-NHUoZXE

The problem with simply running up and doen the scale is all that does is train your hands to run up and down the scale. As soon as you're in that position they want to do what they're used to, and the key to using scales effectively is to be able to use them all over the neck. That's why the slidey exercise I posted is incredibly useful, it gets you away from boxes straight away, and with the slide in there it's also a handy little exercise to work on your legato playing. As a pattern in itself it's quite nice, and my moving around within it you can get some nice-sounding licks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com