I'm really bored with bass and am thinking about about playing guitar full time. I just don't get that "spark" to play like I used to. Also I've run out of stuff that I wanted to play. I wanted to play bass so I could learn Red Barchetta by Rush. Now that I have, I don't know what to do.

I've only been playing for about a year so theres not much that I can really do. And I can't get lessons so I'm forced to do this stuff on my own.

So help me from turning to the Dark Side and find something for me to do.
Just have a listen to some bands and songs, find basslines that you feel inspired by and learn them.

Start a band is another one. As a bassist you are generally always in demand due to low supply.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I'm already in a band.

And I just feel uninspired by anything now. I hear Flea's riffs and I think it would be fun to play them, but I just don't feel like playing them.

I think I might be suffering from depression or something... I used to LOVE bass.
Youre just going thru a rough patch then. Stick with it and one day your ambition with be relighted.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I've been playing bass for around a year. I just recently bought a squier strat, because I was bored of playing. I played that for around a week, then picked up my bass again a few days ago and it's fun to play again.

I encourage getting a guitar and playing that, but don't lose faith in the bass. I'm always going to be a bass player first, a guitar player second.
Well what type of music do you like? Besides Rush and Flea.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Listen to Anesthesia by Metallica's Cliff Burton. It will convince you bass is cool.

Or slap and pop. Start working on that. It can be really fun once you get good at it.
The.
play in a band.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I would say try to challenge yourself more. Try some of Jaco's riffs, they're really intense. And If you're crazy, go after Victor Wooten. As long as you're learning, and getting better, bass will hold your enthusiasm.
One way that usually reinvigorates my love for bass is when I get a new bass or I get a new amp, haha. Also, whenever I start sucking again, because I go through periods of being able to play super thrash speeds to those where I'm having difficulties with basic stuff, I just push myself even if I don't want to, haha, but it always makes me like it again, especially since I usually go back through a process I haven't done in a long time to get back there. So yeah, not sure how to help. Maybe playing guitar for a little bit might help, it helps me, but yeah, it's just gonna be your natural feeling which gets you back.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
I get the same feeling a lot. I just lose all motivation and hope of improving. If you have to, take a break for a while. For me, at least, it comes back eventually.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Listen to Anesthesia by Metallica's Cliff Burton. It will convince you bass is cool.

Or slap and pop. Start working on that. It can be really fun once you get good at it.

Don't forget Orion....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There is nothing wrong with playing guitar as well. I felt bored with bass, so I bought a cheap guitar. While I can play a decent amount of stuff on the guitar (its not any harder), it renewed my love for bass. Bass has such a sweeter sound, and at least to me, I feel like I can be a better musician with bass. I know more scales for it and can actually write cool riffs.

But keep with bass. Every guitarist is practically the same, at least in like rock. Couple riffs, solo, more riffs. Bass is more innovative to me, plus people always want you
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
i suggest getting a guitar. maybe not a squire, but something fairly cheap (yamaha?). i'm originally a guitarist but picked up a bass because my friend's band needed one. but now i'm really missing guitar. nothing wrong with playing both.
Dont be lazy, just sit down with the music and the tabs and learn how to play it
If that doesnt work just do what you want, but give it some thought
dude, you really have to play dream theater and symphony x than.

Play home or the dance of eternity, no way you can get bored!
Quote by basser4ever123
just think of your favorite bands.

My friends asks me "what do you play?
I said "your mom..."
Quote by lilbish
come to the dark side we have candy

But uh ya. I went through the same thing as you when I was learning bass, when I didn't know where to go and what interest I had in the instrument.

At first, I learnt new basslines that challenged me and techniques even though I had little interest simply to restart my interest (Although, it seemed boring at the time, I'm glad I did it). What I did after that was buy a guitar and amp and simply learn guitar parts. Learning stuff on guitar therefore took my mind off bass. So at the first moment I felt I'd learnt enough on guitar and I'd buit up my guitar playing ability well enough, I went back to bass with renewed interest and more musical knowledge.

Now, I simply play both but lean more so towards bass because I'd already developed a natural love for it, play in a band with it, and am bonded with the instrument I use.

All in all, learn some more stuff on bass. Pick up a guitar and then do both. Hope my story helped.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Quote by AboveTheBridge

But uh ya. I went through the same thing as you when I was learning bass, when I didn't know where to go and what interest I had in the instrument.

At first, I learnt new basslines that challenged me and techniques even though I had little interest simply to restart my interest (Although, it seemed boring at the time, I'm glad I did it). What I did after that was buy a guitar and amp and simply learn guitar parts. Learning stuff on guitar therefore took my mind off bass. So at the first moment I felt I'd learnt enough on guitar and I'd buit up my guitar playing ability well enough, I went back to bass with renewed interest and more musical knowledge.

Now, I simply play both but lean more so towards bass because I'd already developed a natural love for it, play in a band with it, and am bonded with the instrument I use.

All in all, learn some more stuff on bass. Pick up a guitar and then do both. Hope my story helped.

OR he can just find a band with funny bassparts: Dream Theater, Symphony X etc.
Their is nothing anyone can do to make you love your instrument. If you love it then you'll have no questions. Do what feels right and screw anyone else who tells you different.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
If you feel you have just gotten stale in your bass playing and its not inspiring you but you still want to stick to bass, put your instrument aside for a few days and..

1. Go see a live performance, particularly with a band who has a solid bass player.
2. Listen to a genre of music you wouldn't normally listen to and see how bass works in the overall sound.
3. Pick up a guitar and mess with it, and then go back to bass. It will give you new ideas, esp. in chord construction and bass lines.
4. Take a workshop or masterclass if possible. Again, these can put a new spin or perspective on your playing.
Don't have to spend money on a guitar. If you want a challenge try vocals at the same time. F***s up a lot of the time but it's never boring.
I'll be the only one who says this, then:

If you want to go and learn guitar, go and learn guitar. It will teach you to look at music from a different perspective, improve your knowledge of chord construction and such, and revitalise your interest in music overall. It worked for me, and now I pretty much split bass and guitar duties in my band between me and the second guitarist. It keeps me fresh, coming at the challenge of writing and performing from different angles and creates a nice contrast in styles. While I am a bass player at heart, just having the ability to pick up a guitar and know how to use it properly has opened up endless doors for me. So is learning to play keyboards and sing well.

Don't ever limit yourself to one instrument, whatever it is, out of fear that you're "straying too far from your roots" or you'll ruin your technique, or whatever. It would be better to put bass on the back burner for a while and go explore other instruments, expanding your palette, learning more about music and then coming back fresh, than to force yourself to stick strictly with bass and eventually lose all interest in it.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
I'll be the only one who says this, then:

If you want to go and learn guitar, go and learn guitar. It will teach you to look at music from a different perspective, improve your knowledge of chord construction and such, and revitalise your interest in music overall. It worked for me, and now I pretty much split bass and guitar duties in my band between me and the second guitarist. It keeps me fresh, coming at the challenge of writing and performing from different angles and creates a nice contrast in styles. While I am a bass player at heart, just having the ability to pick up a guitar and know how to use it properly has opened up endless doors for me. So is learning to play keyboards and sing well.

Don't ever limit yourself to one instrument, whatever it is, out of fear that you're "straying too far from your roots" or you'll ruin your technique, or whatever. It would be better to put bass on the back burner for a while and go explore other instruments, expanding your palette, learning more about music and then coming back fresh, than to force yourself to stick strictly with bass and eventually lose all interest in it.

QFT.

Hell, today I realided I'd neglected my flute for a while, so I decided the transpose and rearrange the bass part to Teen Town as a challenge.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
No, I wont help you from going to the dark side. Only you can help yourself. You can take any of the suggestions above, they're all good...or you can just chill for a while and not play bass as much. Chances are you'll miss it in a few weeks. If not, then maybe its not for you anymore. You should always keep it around just in case, but theres nothing wrong with not playing anymore...or switching to a different instrument. People change. You used to love it...you may or may not anymore, so wait and see and try searching other options.
Learn guitar, there is absolutely nothing wrong with learning another instrument, in fact I encourage it. It will widen your abilites and the way you see thing unimaginably.

Also, branch out to new genres of music. The best way I found to counteract getting tired of bass is to start playing your own stuff. It doesn't take long to get really bored of playing other people's music, so don't.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Like many people have said already, take a break for a week or two. i got burnt out from bass as well once before so i just didn't play for a few days then when i picked it up again it seemed more fun than ever. And go for the guitar, nothing wrong with learning another instrument. Just don't leave bass in the dust
I think that if you actually need someone to stop you from stopping bass, it's because you really don't want to play anything else.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.