mmmkayyy...if you dont know what your doing you leave that damn truss rod alone you hear me?......anyway..truss rods adjust neck relief...press the low e string down at the first fret and at the fret where the neck joins the body...if the string is too far away from the fret you might need to tighten the rod just a little...and vice versa...and to the right tightens and to the left loosens......but if you have to ask about a truss rod adjustment DONT DO IT...the damage you could do cant be repaired
to tell if you need to adjust it hold your guitar up to a light with the body of your guitar closest to your body, and if you see a fairly large warp in the neck then it will need adjusting so that when you put a ruler (or some other kind of a straight edge) you will have just a very slight curve in the neck, the curve should be a downward curve(if the guitar was laid on your lap) as aposed to a convex curve. As to which way to adjust your truss rod turn it clockwise to straighten your neck i believe, and dont be afraid to adjust your truss rod, just turn it 1/4 turn at a time no more, and let it sit about 5-10mins before adjusting again.
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Last edited by Led Head at Jul 27, 2007,
^^^^NO NO NO.....that is not how to check neck relief.......you arent supposed to be looking for curves in the neck.....you can tell how much or how little neck relief you have by string height
thats true but that is one way to check, the most accurate and correct way is the way you stated check the E string at the first fret and at the fret the string meets the body, however a quick check is the way i stated
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Quote by Rahab
mmmkayyy...if you dont know what your doing you leave that damn truss rod alone you hear me?......anyway..truss rods adjust neck relief...press the low e string down at the first fret and at the fret where the neck joins the body...if the string is too far away from the fret you might need to tighten the rod just a little...and vice versa...and to the right tightens and to the left loosens......but if you have to ask about a truss rod adjustment DONT DO IT...the damage you could do cant be repaired

don't worry i haven't done anything i was just wondering. if ever i have to adjust in the future

EDIT: at about how high should the string be from where the neck joins the body
Last edited by tristboyer at Jul 27, 2007,