Page 5 of 75
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
haha excuse my total ignorance, i feel like an idiot now :P dunno if its not appreciating than just rather the musical composition/mood/feel of the melody being appealing to me, I like certain melodies and some repell me for whatever reasons I can appreciate the originality and musicianship but it's just not clicking with me, last try though, with headphones on, ;P lol, and that's great about the tabs, I really love reading tabs -for whatever ackward reason- but I can sit hours just looking at tabs from random bands, well... yeah... I like tabs... lol

Personally, I've always thought NeO is the sort of band that would take a number of listens to get into. It turns out that isn't always the case (according to fans we hear from), but there is quite a lot of depth to the music, and you'll definitely discover more and more things going on with each listen. As when you have a lead guitar melody, with falsetto vocals, and brutal extreme vocals, over fast drumming including double kicks at 900 strokes per minute, with bass tapping AND the rhythm guitar playing the 'primary' riff ALL at the same time- it's hard to appreciate it all in 1 or 2 listens.

It doesn't surprise me to hear you talk about certain parts not appealing. One of the realities of creating music a bit different to most is that it generally makes peoples opinions more pronounced. So whilst many love NeO, some don't get where we're coming from at all. And then some like parts, but because we're so diverse, not all will like all the styles we traverse. Each to their own really.

Like I said earlier, thanks for taking the time to check us out, if everyone that liked metal in the world took the time to do that.. I think we'd go ok.
We're still auditioning guitarists...so applications are still being taken currently. If interested please email welkin.entertainmentATgmail.com

Thank you
This is going to sound really stupid, but I'm a member of your forums, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to post a fvcken comment. I see nothing anywhere that says "post" or "add comment." Just the comment box itself. Either it's my computer or I'm missing something.
Quote by Tim Charles
Personally, I've always thought NeO is the sort of band that would take a number of listens to get into. It turns out that isn't always the case (according to fans we hear from), but there is quite a lot of depth to the music, and you'll definitely discover more and more things going on with each listen. As when you have a lead guitar melody, with falsetto vocals, and brutal extreme vocals, over fast drumming including double kicks at 900 strokes per minute, with bass tapping AND the rhythm guitar playing the 'primary' riff ALL at the same time- it's hard to appreciate it all in 1 or 2 listens.

Definitely the case for me, I appreciated the originality and creativity but it wasn't the kind of album that I could listen to endlessly. It "clicked" a couple of days ago, realized how great it is.

Quote by Tim Charles
Like I said earlier, thanks for taking the time to check us out, if everyone that liked metal in the world took the time to do that.. I think we'd go ok.

Not like you can miss out a band with this much hype (on UG at least). But you're not gonna get a lot of profit out of me at the moment, unless I'm suddenly allowed to buy stuff on the internet or you guys come to Mexico (hint hint)
Just keep a bunch of copies of the demo so I can order it when I turn 18
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

i really didn't like NeO on first listen either, i just listened to the demo once a day for a week and it grew on me over the week. Your like wintersun or the like, i have to give the music my full attention otherwise i dont really enjoy it
nyrkki
Founder of UG's COB Hatecrew
Tim, I listened to The Aurora Veil in full yesterday, after a month and a half or so of not listening to you guys and it sounded amazing. Tapestry is such an awesome song. Each time I listen to the songs, I pick out something new I had not heard before.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Aeternum Vale - Once we've a new guitarist, QLD is probably the first place we'll be looking to travel to... Hopefully in the first few months of 2008.

metal7690 - When you log in, there should be the comment box at the bottom, when reading a thread. The forum is relatively new...it's being tuned, all just taking it's sweet time.

mike130 - Nice to hear that it's a "grower"... I usually find that with albums that grow on me, they turn out to be favourites/something I'll always like rather than an album that's instantly enjoyable, and having it burn out quickly.

Hopefully we'll get to South America one day... all depends on labels, finance, and a lot more exposure...and another thing called an album. Believe me, we'd love to tour abroad, but unfortunately we need a lot to go the right way beforehand.

The sales don't really matter, at this stage it's all promotion for us. Promotion, being heard, and having people appreciate our music is what matters. Money only allows us to pay off merch and recording costs...everything else is out of our own pockets. Feel free to download our music in the meantime...

wintee_madness - Thank you for giving the time and patience to listen through the CD. That's all we could hope for.

darkstar2466 - Tim will reply soon, he's just getting his computer up and running again.

"Each time I listen to the songs, I pick out something new I had not heard before." That is how I feel about listening to Emperor...
Xenoyr/Tim, do you add any effects on your vocals? 'Cuz the layering where you have the harsh and clean vox going at the same time sounds sick (in a good way.)
Quote by Mr. President
Xenoyr/Tim, do you add any effects on your vocals? 'Cuz the layering where you have the harsh and clean vox going at the same time sounds sick (in a good way.)

There were no effects used for either vocalist. (And no auto-tune either )

I think it sounds pretty sick too. Definitely a unique combination.
Quote by darkstar2466
Tim, I listened to The Aurora Veil in full yesterday, after a month and a half or so of not listening to you guys and it sounded amazing. Tapestry is such an awesome song. Each time I listen to the songs, I pick out something new I had not heard before.

That's awesome to hear. \m/
Quote by Xenoyr
Aeternum Vale -
mike130 - Nice to hear that it's a "grower"... I usually find that with albums that grow on me, they turn out to be favourites/something I'll always like rather than an album that's instantly enjoyable, and having it burn out quickly.

Hopefully we'll get to South America one day... all depends on labels, finance, and a lot more exposure...and another thing called an album. Believe me, we'd love to tour abroad, but unfortunately we need a lot to go the right way beforehand.

The sales don't really matter, at this stage it's all promotion for us. Promotion, being heard, and having people appreciate our music is what matters. Money only allows us to pay off merch and recording costs...everything else is out of our own pockets. Feel free to download our music in the meantime...

Well I can't blame you for not being able to come here. Not a whole lot of metal, but the crowds ARE good. We are getting a couple of good bands though (Nile!!!)

But yea, it's definitely excellent stuff. I hope I can convince my parents to actually buy it. It's not the same to have to listen to an MP3 than actually having the CD in your hand.

Also, kudos to the drummer. I'm not kidding when I say that guy is absolutely insane. The drumming in itself is enough to make the album good.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

CD quality is usually better... I'm wanting to to get some vinyls done of The Aurora Veil, the only problem is cost.... gah! May have to get some done in Europe one day...

...and yes, Dan is a freak, only been drumming for 4.5 years....I think, don't quote me on that, although I think it's close enough.
Excellent music. Very impressive. I just got a hand on the demo Aurora Veil, the songs seemed to be classic. I love the incorporating of various styles. Violin and clean vocals with BM = \m/

Although when I think about Australia I don't really get a gr1m dark w00ds feeling! lol! :p But the song makes it up. Loved it, hoping there will be more from you guys soon. Looking forward to it.
Devotion eludes
And in sadness I lumber
In my own ashes I am standing without a soul...
She wept and whispered: "I know..."
I still haven't had a chance to truly sit down and just listen through The Aurora Veil...

I really need to just find the time.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by Blazingfist
Excellent music. Very impressive. I just got a hand on the demo Aurora Veil, the songs seemed to be classic. I love the incorporating of various styles. Violin and clean vocals with BM = \m/

Although when I think about Australia I don't really get a gr1m dark w00ds feeling! lol! :p But the song makes it up. Loved it, hoping there will be more from you guys soon. Looking forward to it.

Thank you for your thoughts.

...I agree, when I think of Australia I don't think of anything grim really... all I think of is gumtrees and red dirt, ha! ...We seek inspiration elsewhere

There will be more from us in the new year...!
i reckon aussie scenery can be pretty grim looking sometimes...we have a place near my home with a creek, some forested areas, and just random bushland, it looks pretty awesome at night time.

+ we have some pretty horrific acts to draw influence from if you're into more gore-themed metal...as far as classically influenced black metal goes though, i haven't got a clue...i guess it kind of fits in with 'icicles', since we seem to have so many endangered species / environmental problems at the moment.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
...as long as you hold out.

If anyone is interested in ...another forum, NeO has one at http://neobliviscaris.com/forum/
NOTE: there are a few bugs I think still and it does take a little getting used to, but we post here all the time so if you want upto date info.................
I finally got The Aurora Veil after seeing all the hype.

Rarely has a DEMO been so deserving of so much praise! I can go on and on but Ill just leave it plain and simple, you guys kick so much ass! I have very high hopes for your album!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I finally got The Aurora Veil after seeing all the hype.

Rarely has a DEMO been so deserving of so much praise! I can go on and on but Ill just leave it plain and simple, you guys kick so much ass! I have very high hopes for your album!

Thank you very much for your extremely kind words. It's fantastic to hear that you're enjoying the CD.

It's great to hear you have high hopes for the album- as we have very high expectations for it ourselves!
If I had to pick a favorite track, I'd say Tapestry of the Starless Abstract. I cant get enough of its intro, very Immortal-esque drumming does it for me. The vocals contrast each other so well, the acoustic passage rivals some of my favorites, and I cannot praise the guitar work enough.

Tim, if I remember correctly, you are the violinist and clean vocals right? Do you have any vocal training? When I first heard your voice it was very... different at first. But its unique sound really grew on me. I love it a lot now and when it kicks in there is a very surreal sound to it.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
If I had to pick a favorite track, I'd say Tapestry of the Starless Abstract. I cant get enough of its intro, very Immortal-esque drumming does it for me. The vocals contrast each other so well, the acoustic passage rivals some of my favorites, and I cannot praise the guitar work enough.

Tim, if I remember correctly, you are the violinist and clean vocals right? Do you have any vocal training? When I first heard your voice it was very... different at first. But its unique sound really grew on me. I love it a lot now and when it kicks in there is a very surreal sound to it.

Yep, that's me- violin/clean vocals. I have 18 years and counting of classical violin training, but I've never had any vocal training at all. I'm probably going to get a bit of training just to work on a few things technically, mainly so I can preserve my voice better when we're performing night after night on tour. But I haven't had any vocal training at this point in time.

My vocal approach is definitely "different" to the norm in metal, so it's great when people appreciate what I'm doing.
Will the album consist entirely of new material? On that same note, do you have any other material written from before The Aurora Veil, and is there any way we could hear it?
Quote by Tim Charles

My vocal approach is definitely "different" to the norm in metal, so it's great when people appreciate what I'm doing.

Its hard to come up with a comparison to another vocalist, which is good. Im tempted to say a higher, less bluesy version of Jason Mendonça from Akercocke. But its a bit of a stretch for sure.

Also, Its not much, but I just would like to let you guys know it is very cool to see you interacting with fans on something like internet forums. So thanks.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by Scourge441
Will the album consist entirely of new material? On that same note, do you have any other material written from before The Aurora Veil, and is there any way we could hear it?

The most likely occurence will be that we'll be re-recording the 3 songs on the Aurora Veil, plus adding another 4 songs, 2 of them likely to be older songs that some of our Aussie fans would have heard us play live (Of the Leper Butterflies, Upon the Tongue of Eloquence), and then another 2 songs which are brand new and have been written in the past couple months, and are still having some parts, like lyrics, violin etc. being written at the moment.

The production will be far superior to that of the demo though, which is why we are really keen to re-record the aurora veil songs so everyone can hear them like we really want them to sound.

In total the album is likely to be about 70 minutes in length.

In regards to old material, the oldest song we still play live that is unlikely to make it on the album is, When the Black Hands Dance, which was written late 2004. There is a live video on youtube of this song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-g_j-rSHMw

The stage was terribly small which made it hard to move much, but the audio isn't too bad. There is also a video on youtube of brendan playing his bass parts to a rehearsal demo.

We have a number of other songs (about another albums worth of material) that likely won't make it on the album including the songs:

Architect of the Muse (2006) (mellow instrumental, only played live twice)
All the Scarlet Tears (early 2004) (played live twice)
Felo De Se (mid 2004)
Beyond the Hourglass (late 2003)
Within the Chamber of Stars (early 2004)

Of those songs the only thing currently available to the public is a video Brendan did of him playing his bass parts for Felo De Se which you can find here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1opdobcz4&feature=related

(You can hear the rest of the bands parts, taken from a demo of the song we did, in the background.)

If there is demand a bit further down the track though, you never know, maybe we'll do a b-sides album, or record some of the older stuff as bonus tracks. We'll definitely have more than enough material set aside.

The old stuff is still good, but we've definitely progressed a lot technically, stylistically and musically over the past couple years.

There is also a video of the song, "Of the Leper Butterflies', which is a contender to make it on the album, taken from the CD launch for 'The Aurora Veil' in Melbourne, Australia in April , 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYX2QguxP1U&feature=related

There is another older video of 'butterflies' live here as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAdYRKKXfOA&
Last edited by Tim Charles at Dec 16, 2007,
^^^lol.. :p

Quote by VampireGoldfish

Also, Its not much, but I just would like to let you guys know it is very cool to see you interacting with fans on something like internet forums. So thanks.

It's our pleasure. I know it's a cliche, but a band is really nothing without its fans, so we try and give as much back as possible to anyone that has shown NeO support.
So who have you guys signed with? I'm really curious.

Also is there any shot of tabs appearing in the future? I thought I heard either Tim or Xenoyr mention it somewhere in this thread... but I haven't been able to fid any of them.

I've been trying to learn by ear the classical interlude to Tapestry of the Starless Abstract... I've only figured out one part though.

Sincerely though, you guys are the best thing to happen to metal in a long time.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by Mr. President
When are you guys gonna reveal who the new guitarist is?

In the next month or so hopefully if we all find the right person. Decisions decisions....
Believe me...I'm as eager as anyone else for this!
Quote by Bushinarin
So who have you guys signed with? I'm really curious.

Also is there any shot of tabs appearing in the future? I thought I heard either Tim or Xenoyr mention it somewhere in this thread... but I haven't been able to fid any of them.

I've been trying to learn by ear the classical interlude to Tapestry of the Starless Abstract... I've only figured out one part though.

Sincerely though, you guys are the best thing to happen to metal in a long time.

Thank you for your thoughts...we are trying to push to get as far as we can.

We're not actually signed yet, although we've had numerous offers... we're keeping our options open at this early stage, still waiting to hear from more labels.

Tabs will most probably be released after our album...Tim can explain more about the flamenco section in Tapestry...ha!
I've been doing a little work on trying to figure out As Icicles Fall, if anyone else is working on it I'd be interested.
Quote by Xenoyr
Aeternum Vale - Once we've a new guitarist, QLD is probably the first place we'll be looking to travel to... Hopefully in the first few months of 2008.

Just don't let some fat fuck that goes by the name of 'geeks' from Obsidian Records organise your show up here. While OR is the go to place for any metal touring this neck of the woods find someone else to book your gig.

my 2c
Shadilay.